$2 NLHE 6-max: Beginner looking for advice

W

Walker_Bros_360

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All, i'm very new to poker and would appreciate any advice on this hand as I was unsure of what to do as people are often quite straightforward in micro stakes.
pokerstars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hero (SB): 105 BB
BB: 97 BB
UTG: 113.5 BB
MP: 101.5 BB
CO: 122.5 BB
BTN: 80 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3c Ah
fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop : (7 BB, 2 players) 5d As 4c
Hero checks, MP bets 4.5 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, MP calls 4.5 BB

Turn : (25 BB, 2 players) Js
Hero checks, MP checks

River : (25 BB, 2 players) 9s
Hero bets 10 BB, MP raises to 30 BB

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Firstly A3o should never be a call out of the SB either 3bet or fold. Your issue is you've called preflop which caps your range and your out of position and have an Ace with a weak kicker. On the river here you have to fold in fact you'd of probably been better checking and then folding to a monster bet or calling a small one.

W

Walker_Bros_360

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly A3o should never be a call out of the SB either 3bet or fold. Your issue is you've called preflop which caps your range and your out of position and have an Ace with a weak kicker. On the river here you have to fold in fact you'd of probably been better checking and then folding to a monster bet or calling a small one.
Thanks a lot for the advice, very helpful. I think the reason i called was I had heard you should have a wider range in the blinds as it's a reduced price to call. Does this only apply to BB, or is it just plain false?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks a lot for the advice, very helpful. I think the reason i called was I had heard you should have a wider range in the blinds as it's a reduced price to call. Does this only apply to BB, or is it just plain false?
A lot depends on what position has raised first in. MP will be opening a tighter range than btn as MP still has players to act behind whereas btn only has the blinds which he can attempt to steal. I'd reserve A3o as an open from SB to steal BB or as a 3bet bluff against CO or Btn opens

J

Jrobbz10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm checking the river after checking the turn to see what villain's bet sizing could be. He could be someone trying out a new strategy where raising induces a fold if he has any info on you. He also could've checked the turn because he had a flush draw when the turn came out and he was happy to see a free river card. I'm betting 2\3 pot on the turn to a TAG and 1\2 pot to a LAG but regardless I think you put yourself in a bad situation by checking the turn. The LAG punks you down with 3 spades on the board after a check on the turn. The TAG has the nuts on the river but would've folded to a turn bet. It's a tough situation to be in and the right call is tough to make. If you plan to continue with a weak hand such as A3o from SB you pretty much have to raise PF and continue your aggressive line. Personally A3o isn't a hand I want to play from SB just because if MP calls you're facing premium hands even with top pair and my first thought in that situation is "what if he has the better kicker"

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With this hand, 3-bet or fold, but not call. The post-flop is played out by a contbet-fold, as many aces dominate us. But this is my personal opinion.