$2 NLHE 6-max: BB play with short stack SB , turn decision with flush and gutshot draw

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: BB play with short stack SB , turn decision with flush and gutshot draw

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.30 (65 bb)
MP: $1.01 (51 bb)
CO: $1.00 (50 bb)
BU: $1.63 (82 bb)
SB: $0.48 (24 bb)
BB (Hero): $3.62 (181 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with 6 8
4 players fold, SB raises to $0.04, Hero calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.08) 3 7 A (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.08) T (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.05, SB raises to $0.10, Hero ??

Villain - VPIP/PFR looks normal (21/12) over limited sample

Questions:
1. Should I bet the turn? What if SB stack is 50BB-100BB?
2. What range do you put SB on?

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB sounds like a fish. The min raise can mean 2 things: He has something huge, or he has some face-cards and just has no idea what he is doing.

I would say something preflop like 22-AA, probably most Ax, Kx, Qx, Jx, connectors... basically anything.

The flop action tells us very little about his range, we can't even eliminate AA because he might be slowplaying. (Remember he is probably clueless about the idea of pot odds and draws.)

I like to bet the turn. We pick up some equity with the gutter, and can easily fold if he comes back with a jam or something big. Check-minraise is usually a pretty nutted line when you are dealing with these types, I like to just fold here.

Versus a normal stack it is a whole different animal... because that would imply that villain was decent :D:D:D

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call me a nit but... I'd fold pre.

Yes we have a good price. Yes this player is bad. But 86o is in like the bottom 30% of hands.... YUCK.

As played I'd stab flop often. I disagree a little with TJ here - I think the flop action IS telling. While the guy CAN have aces, it's more likely he just hasn't connected hard enough to warrant a value bet imo.

As played getting to the turn, I like the bet for similar reasoning as why I wanted to bet the flop. When we get check raised I'm with TJ here and we can just fold. Gutters with only a super weak flush draw will be some of our worst holdings here I think. So far as the SB's range here, it's a little tough to say. I would say flopped sets are possible, and so are really big combo draws like big FD + gutshot. Maybe some two pair hands that he wanted to play for SDV on the flop like T7s or A7s.

Could even be SOME flushes where for whatever reason he doesn't cbet flop. Those stats just tell us the guy isn't a particularly good reg most likely, but not much else.

I think the hand becomes a little easier to play if we're deeper but I'd STILL be folding pre, still prefer betting flop, etc. What changes more is our optionality as we get to later streets in the hand and have more maneuverability.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i agree with tenjack probably weak ace or a couple face cards. the time to bet was when he checked the flop. maybe your turn bet of .05. then if he just calls i would be more inclined to thing a coule of face cards or Kx Qx Jx like tenjack said. if he comes with the raise on that flop i feel weak ace and i fold. if he just calls the flop bet i would strongly feel suit looking for that 3rd heart. i feel that the raise on the flop was a value raise for the flush and i would fold. IMHO

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not call with 68o in the big blind because it is too weak versus a raise. But we chose to call, and the flop did not help us much, however, sb did check which means two things: he might have a big hand and wanted to trap us such range A2+, 22+, and all broadway hands; or he might have something like Kx and Kx was too weak for him to C-Bet. I think we could bet on the flop because he showed weakness, first if he slow play big hand and raise us on the flop, we get away easy, second if he calls us, we can check behind on turn and river for pot control. However, we check behind. The turn came Ten of Heart which gave us flush draw and gut shot; once again SB blind show weakness and check the turn. Here we gain equity, if we bet, our plan here is to bet/call; if we choose to check, it's a safe route. So, we bet and got check raise from SB; Here we have to call and see what he does on the river. If we hit the flush, it might not be good; and if we hit our gut shot, a bet/call on the river is okay.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold pre flop. Vs a short stack of less than 50bb you want to play big cards so you can get it in on the flop if you hit.
As played I think you can get bet turn with your gutshot because the sb has checked twice and you have no showdown value.
Once he check raises you have to fold. Your implied odds aren't good here. If you make your straight you still get beaten by a flush. If you make your flush then you get beaten by better flushes.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
68o isn't really the type of hand you want to defend with for reasons made obvious by what happens in this hand. You get put into meh spots like we have here.

As played I would just jam against such a small stack. I'm not loving it but we got ourselves into this spot by defending 68o.

You could check/call the turn to keep pot small and re-evaluate the river.

Again, defending 68o will put you in meh spots like these.:damnmate:

One benefit is that if your opponent is paying attention you may give off a maniac image to them for future payoffs with monsters.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
vilain looks like a fish that have a big hand, he doesn't want to loose a costumer (you) the min raise pre-flop the re-raise to the min on the turn, i see him on a big hand there. i'm ok with the bet on the turn that's the only way u could win the hand, it's ok to take this chance after the raise easy fold and move on.

Full Flush Poker