$2 NLHE 6-max: Bad bluff on my part or not? Play zoom table

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure if there is a play money section here. I am sorry if I am posting this incorrectly. Or even if folks care to offer advice on play money. I am trying to learn poker, and stars only allows play money in the US. And betonline zoom is 10nl at the lowest *(ouch).

I thought this would be and ideal place to bluff. Flush completed, not too many scary high cards. I though my range could very well include two hearts. Was my thought process off? Or did he make a questionable call?
https://www.boomplayer.com/28930868_07FEE5C2EF

I can't edit the title. sorry for the $2nl

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure if there is a play money section here. I am sorry if I am posting this incorrectly. Or even if folks care to offer advice on play money. I am trying to learn poker, and stars only allows play money in the US. And betonline zoom is 10nl at the lowest *(ouch).

I thought this would be and ideal place to bluff. Flush completed, not too many scary high cards. I though my range could very well include two hearts. Was my thought process off? Or did he make a questionable call?
https://www.boomplayer.com/28930868_07FEE5C2EF

I can't edit the title. sorry for the $2nl

Your first mistake was limping UTG with A3o this is a fold. If you're going to play A3o UTG which you shouldn't you would need to open (maybe to represent QQ+) I still don't like this I would fold every time!

If you decided to open you would need to open to 5-10 times the big blind. Depending on how Active the table has been. UTG you have to open larger than other positions because you have to get through so many more players.

As played, you should have been the one to make the bet on the turn. Something small like 1/4th pot. This will give you information from the other players as to what they are holding and if you're beat.

As played you should have folded the turn. As far as bluffing the river the board paired and the flush got there, so we have to think what did villain lead turn with. I don't feel like it's a great card to bluff because if villain was on FD he's made his hand and if he had pair board improves to two pair for him and he will probably defend.

If you feel like your perceived range includes flushes enough I can understand the bluff, but I can tell the way the hand was played your perceived range is not a FD. Villains range seems to include more flushes than yours.

Don't feel bad about playing on pokerstars play money. I got on their the other day just to check it out and had a blast playing the PM zoom. That being said, I would recommend playing on ACR because you can play free rolls all day long and have a chance to make a profit. They don't have zoom, so if that's what you are working on then I understand why you would stay on PokerStars, but why give away the chance at earning free money and learning at the same time.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played you should have folded the turn. As far as bluffing the river the board paired and the flush got there, so we have to think what did villain lead turn with. I don't feel like it's a great card to bluff because if villain was on FD he's made his hand and if he had pair board improves to two pair for him and he will probably defend.

If you feel like your perceived range includes flushes enough I can understand the bluff, but I can tell the way the hand was played your perceived range is not a FD. Villains range seems to include more flushes than yours.

Don't feel bad about playing on PokerStars play money. I got on their the other day just to check it out and had a blast playing the PM zoom. That being said, I would recommend playing on ACR because you can play free rolls all day long and have a chance to make a profit. They don't have zoom, so if that's what you are working on then I understand why you would stay on PokerStars, but why give away the chance at earning free money and learning at the same time.

Thanks for the detailed critique. That was pretty dumb opening it. I do play mtt's and sit and go's on ACR, betonline, and intertops... and some ignition. I'm just learning, so I figure I can try to learn and not lose actual money. I do the larger freerolls on ACR and intertops.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the detailed critique. That was pretty dumb opening it. I do play mtt's and sit and go's on ACR, betonline, and intertops... and some ignition. I'm just learning, so I figure I can try to learn and not lose actual money. I do the larger freerolls on ACR and intertops.

For sure. You did the right thing posting the question. Keep on posting them and asking questions. You will become a solid player in no time.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Also if you have any questions about the critique like if you didn't understand some of it. Let me know, I would love to go more in detail about it.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/6-max-fundamentals-opening-ranges-220696/
As played, you should have been the one to make the bet on the turn. Something small like 1/4th pot. This will give you information from the other players as to what they are holding and if you're beat.
I agree 95% of the post you made.

This exact part though: a) you can’t assume any fold equity in multi way pot in low level play b) Betting for information is a concept that needs many years under a belt to do correctly, and even then I’m not sure I have ever seen a case that is agreed on c) There is no recorded case in low level play money where you should bet that small :p, you bet big for value and big for bluff

Last edited:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/6-max-fundamentals-opening-ranges-220696/

I agree 95% of the post you made.

This exact part though: a) you can’t assume any fold equity in multi way pot in low level play b) Betting for information is a concept that needs many years under a belt to do correctly, and even then I’m not sure I have ever seen a case that is agreed on c) There is no recorded case in low level play money where you should bet that small :p, you bet big for value and big for bluff

You’re probably right. Barring the free roll challenge that I just started the last couple of days ago. It has been a LONG time since I’ve played micro limit games. The line that I used is a line I would have used with no live reads, but I didn’t assume the level player I am most possibly up against.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You’re probably right. Barring the free roll challenge that I just started the last couple of days ago. It has been a LONG time since I’ve played micro limit games. The line that I used is a line I would have used with no live reads, but I didn’t assume the level player I am most possibly up against.

That freeroll challenge is insane. I bet you see some crazy stuff..... possibly by me...

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That freeroll challenge is insane. I bet you see some crazy stuff..... possibly by me...

Yes, I do see some crazy stuff. I love it! Makes it easier to fade such a horrible structure.