$2 NLHE 6-max: ATo UTG in a 3 way pot. fold or call?

zaratras

zaratras

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have enough hands on the villains to show stats.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

CO: $2.78
BTN: $0.69
SB: $2.00
BB: $2.77
Hero (UTG): $2.52
MP: $2.07

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has T A

Hero raises to $0.06, fold, CO calls $0.06, fold, SB calls $0.05, fold

Flop: ($0.20, 3 players) 6 A 9
SB checks, Hero bets $0.10, CO raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.30, fold I folded here, because i think both villains have 66 / 99 many times here. Not AA, because 1. I block the A with mine and 2 AA would have 3 bet preflop.

Does anyone sees a call on the flop?

Turn: ($0.90, 2 players) 8
SB checks, CO bets $0.44, SB raises to $1.64 and is all-in, CO calls $1.20

River: ($4.18, 2 players) 3

CO cashed out $3.89 for a fee of $0.04

SB shows 6 6 (Three of a Kind, Sixes)
(Pre 19%, Flop 5%, Turn 2%)
CO shows 9 9 (Three of a Kind, Nines)
(Pre 81%, Flop 95%, Turn 98%)

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have bet $0.05 on the flop. That would yield negative expectation, for players with 78. You don't want a big pot, when you only have Top Pair, T-kicker, against two opponents.

CO is showing a lot of strength, raising; and SB is calling. I think that you must fold.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the fold is okay especially after the SB overcalls a raise.
On this flop where there aren't too many draws, your probably behind to at least one of your opponents.
Well played.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
ATo UTG should certainly be the bottom of your opening range, and some would argue for a fold.

Flop
If you are looking to play a more GTO style of poker, then this hand is actually a check on the flop, because you need to have some hands, that can check-call. Its not strong enough to get 3 streets of value, and it does not need a lot of protection either, since the board is so dry. Betting here is an exploitative line, which is only good, if the opponents are going to call way to much both preflop and postflop. Hands like A4, J9, T8. Any pair or gutshot draw. That might be the case at 2NL, but I just want to open your mind to the idea, how a hand like this is actually supposed to be played against decent opponents.

When there is a raise and a cold call behind you, I think, you have a very clear fold. Even the raise is very concerning, because on this dry board what is he raising with as a bluff? Maybe 87 but thats just about it. This looks very value heavy, and you even lose to an overplayed top pair, which is certainly also possible.

When SB cold call the raise, alarm bells need to be really going off, because what kind of hand does he have? If he is a crazy fish, maybe he does have A8 or A4, but if he is any sort of competent, he has you beat for sure. So I actually think, AT is a fairly easy laydown here. Its a much tougher spot, if we have AK, because then we need to at least consider the possibility, we might be against 87 and AQ or something of that nature.

zaratras

zaratras

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all for the feedback!
Preflop
ATo UTG should certainly be the bottom of your opening range, and some would argue for a fold.

Flop
If you are looking to play a more GTO style of poker, then this hand is actually a check on the flop, because you need to have some hands, that can check-call. Its not strong enough to get 3 streets of value, and it does not need a lot of protection either, since the board is so dry. Betting here is an exploitative line, which is only good, if the opponents are going to call way to much both preflop and postflop. Hands like A4, J9, T8. Any pair or gutshot draw. That might be the case at 2NL, but I just want to open your mind to the idea, how a hand like this is actually supposed to be played against decent opponents.

When there is a raise and a cold call behind you, I think, you have a very clear fold. Even the raise is very concerning, because on this dry board what is he raising with as a bluff? Maybe 87 but thats just about it. This looks very value heavy, and you even lose to an overplayed top pair, which is certainly also possible.

When SB cold call the raise, alarm bells need to be really going off, because what kind of hand does he have? If he is a crazy fish, maybe he does have A8 or A4, but if he is any sort of competent, he has you beat for sure. So I actually think, AT is a fairly easy laydown here. Its a much tougher spot, if we have AK, because then we need to at least consider the possibility, we might be against 87 and AQ or something of that nature.

Fundiver, thanks for the extensive feedback. I tried to PM you but I cannot until I made 15 posts. I was wondering how you learned poker and make such good hand analysis. I try to decompose my own hands in equilab en anlyse my own hands to get better. But I need help here. Do you have any tips/tricks?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering how you learned poker and make such good hand analysis.

I have played quite a bit for almost 3 years, worked with some different software like PokerSnowie and watched a lot of free training material on the internet. I started with cash games but mostly play tournaments now.

Folding in Poker