Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.07 (104 bb)
MP: $1.99 (100 bb)
CO: $2.26 (113 bb)
BU: $3.57 (179 bb)
SB: $2.43 (122 bb)
BB (Hero): $1.48 (74 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A Q
UTG calls $0.02, 1 fold, CO raises to $0.08, 1 fold, SB calls $0.07, Hero 3-bets to $0.32, UTG calls $0.30, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.80) J Q 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.23, UTG calls $0.23

Turn: ($1.26) 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks

River: ($1.26) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.93 (all-in), UTG folds

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bet closer to half on the flop to jam almost (maybe even) any turn.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd bet more on flop, its wet enough that you don't really need to downbet.

Then try to get it all in on a clean turn.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Use auto top-up, so you always start with 100BB, and then 3-bet slightly larger. Yes its large already, but there is a lot of money in this pot, and you are out of position.

Flop
I would bet slightly larger to set it up for an easy turn jam.

Turn
I dont like this check. Are you scared, he has a 5 in his hand after limping and then calling your 3-bet? Or are you trying to induce bluffs? In the latter case my main advice to you is to stop slowplaying. There are a lot of draws on this board, and a passive opponent will just check back a lot. So make the simple play for value, and TPTK is certainly good enough to jam it in here.

River
As played I am ok with getting it in now. But really the money should have gone in on the turn.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I was confused about the hand because I am trying to learn gto and low card board pairing is usually better for the flop callers range so its a bad equity card for hero. But now that I think of it not really any 5x in a 3-bet pot ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I was confused about the hand because I am trying to learn gto and low card board pairing is usually better for the flop callers range so its a bad equity card for hero.

The micros are all about getting max value from big hands, and you should forgot all about trying to learn GTO strategies for now. This is only going to make your life at the tables more complicated and less profitable. The time to start worrying about balance and "correct" ranges is, when you move out of the micros, which for cash games mean 25NL and higher.

But now that I think of it not really any 5x in a 3-bet pot ?

That is exactly the point. Its extremely unlikely, 5d helped anyone in a 3-bet pot, so its basically the same as turn being 2d. Also you were committed to this pot already with less than a pot sized bet left. Its not like, you are going to fold, if he jam, so its better to just get it in and put the decision on him rather than give him a free card to potentially draw out on you.

You are right though, that a board pair is often best for the person defending, and sometimes it should cause us to slow down. Lets say you open from HJ, and BB defends. Flop comes QJ5 2-tone. Usually my plan here would be for 3 bets to go in, if I had AQ and I would C-bet for value.

If however the turn card is a J, then I would change my plan to 2 bets, because its absolutely possible, that BB could have a J in his hand, especially when I block some of his QX combos. I would not want to get check-raised with AQ on QJ5-J, so typically I would check back the turn and then look for the second bet to go in on the river. If he leads out for any kind of reasonable sizing, I am calling, and if he check to me again, I will bet for value.