$2 NLHE 6-max: AQo facing 3 bet..4-bet or call?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.93 (97 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.53 (127 bb)
BU: $5.67 (284 bb)
SB: $1.93 (97 bb)
BB: $2.34 (117 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with A Q
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39) K 2 T (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.20, CO (Hero) folds

Villain's stats: VPIP 23/PFR 20/ AF 5 (58 hands)

does 5 AF mean they are very aggressive?

I am wondering if I should 4-bet here, I watched some material that made sense to me and I can't fully remember it I am going to go back and re-watch but it was basically implying sometimes its better not to 3 or 4-bet if you think the range that will call you will put your equity in a tough spot say you 3-bet a player with AK and they call with all their over-pairs and AK ... then your hands equity is actually not loving it ..but if you just call then your ahead in equity.. idk if that makes any sense but I have been trying to think about this concept during hands like this one. If I 4-bet here OOP what am I accomplishing? Villain will likely continue with good hands and fold the weaker parts of his range.. feels like of like a lose-lose..we would be OOP versus a strong 4-bet calling range, what are your thoughts on this? I am wondering against a player of these stats though if we can 4-bet for value.. if he is 3-betting 15% of hands and has an AF of 5 seems quite active.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What was the villains 3 bet % pre flop? 23/20 are reg stats so I would not want a player like this sitting to my left if I had a choice. If they 3 bet a lot then I think we have to 4 bet here since otherwise, we will be calling pre flop and then folding a lot on the flop which is bleeding money away. We could call flop too but we never would really know where we are at. Another stat I would like to know would be how often does villain fold to C bets? The higher that number is then the more I like 4 betting and then leading out.

Most likely though villain has a solid 3 bet % and a solid frequency of calling/folding to c bets which leads to... get away from this table since the player is to your left and find another table. Game selection will be key at any cash level

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the villains 3 bet % pre flop? 23/20 are reg stats so I would not want a player like this sitting to my left if I had a choice. If they 3 bet a lot then I think we have to 4 bet here since otherwise, we will be calling pre flop and then folding a lot on the flop which is bleeding money away. We could call flop too but we never would really know where we are at. Another stat I would like to know would be how often does villain fold to C bets? The higher that number is then the more I like 4 betting and then leading out.

Most likely though villain has a solid 3 bet % and a solid frequency of calling/folding to c bets which leads to... get away from this table since the player is to your left and find another table. Game selection will be key at any cash level

sorry I thought I mentioned it and I did not mention it clearly. his 3-bet % was 15.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling and 4-betting is both ok, and if you call, you need to be ready to get a bit sticky postflop and check-call on a flop like this. You have a gutshot and an overcard, and you also beat his bluffs like AJ, A5s etc. Finally its really good advice from HP300GOD to try to not have a LAG like this on your directly left. Ideally you want to have nits on your left and huge fish on your right.

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a great 4-bet spot.

He has reg stats and is trending towards aggressive, so his BTN vs CO 3-betting range is likely pretty wide and a 4-bet will have decent fold equity. AQo is also a great 4-bet bluff hand since it blocks some of his strongest hands that he would shove on us with like AA and QQ. Taking it down pre also saves us from having to make tough decisions OOP against c-bets and barrels from an aggressive opponent if we just call.

4-betting will also make this guy think twice before 3-betting you next time, which is great if you plan on staying at this table.