$2 NLHE 6-max: Appreciate your thoughts on this hand

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The call is fine as played since you way under repped your hand here. I dont agree with the post flop bet sizings. I like 4x pre and think you could go a bit bigger if you wanted but not sure why you are only betting 1/3rd on the flop. You are giving diamond draws a decent price to continue and are missing value from Kx, some Qx hands, and J10 hands. I dont get the check on the turn either for the same reasons. The only hands you make sense to do this against would be the hand villain has which they would have folded in all likelihood but so what if they do. You should be betting 50-60% pot here on the flop and following it up with a turn bet as well in my opinion as worse hands will call. Playing the way you did you will either win a small amount or lose a large amount when the villain sucks out on you as they did here.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet more on flop about 75% of pot to defend against draws and for value against hands with Q and K.

M

Mybeardisevil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The call is fine as played since you way under repped your hand here. I dont agree with the post flop bet sizings. I like 4x pre and think you could go a bit bigger if you wanted but not sure why you are only betting 1/3rd on the flop. You are giving diamond draws a decent price to continue and are missing value from Kx, some Qx hands, and J10 hands. I dont get the check on the turn either for the same reasons. The only hands you make sense to do this against would be the hand villain has which they would have folded in all likelihood but so what if they do. You should be betting 50-60% pot here on the flop and following it up with a turn bet as well in my opinion as worse hands will call. Playing the way you did you will either win a small amount or lose a large amount when the villain sucks out on you as they did here.

thanks for your feedback, seems under betting is a problem I need to work on :)

M

Majari_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been struggling with same kind of problem post flop, usually under repping my hand by quite a bit. As my focus has been recently to defend my hand against straight/flush draws I've seen some improvement in the post flop play.

L

lcartaxo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting your hand.

From the broken stack, I can understand that the villain is recreational.

PRE-FLOP. Pretty standard. Maybe I would increase it to 4.5BB because the villain is recreational. But here is not the point.

FLOP. I would bet around 1/2 pot. To receive calls from Kings and Queens, as well as Flush Draws or SD's.

TURN. Here the turn came practically a blank. If we bet for value on the flop, we should continue betting for value here on the turn. The villain is unlikely to have made a set or two pairs here.

RIVER. As played, Hero has an easy call, because we represent weakness with our check on the turn. Villain bets 1/2 pot. After the check behind on the turn, I believe it is to seek average value. He may be doing this with KJ, AQ. Yes, he may be doing with KT ou TT.
In addition, you are at the top of your bet flop and check turn range. If you are not calling with Overpair, what else are you calling in this spot?

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my first time reviewing someone else's hand, so if I'm wrong please correct me.
Preflop-I would have played the same, good 3-bet size OOP

Flop-This board is better for you then him and with the flush and straight draws present you should be c-betting more like 2/3, 3/4 pot not 1/3 pot.

Turn-You should never check here, you need to bet for value. Many draws have missed on the turn and any hand you were beating on the flop you are beating on the turn for the most part.

River-I think if you played the flop and turn differently you would not have made it to the river in this spot, however this is a snap call in my book as played.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet more on the flop. In a 3 Bet pot you can bet a bit less than usual for value, but you still need to be over 50% pot or you just are allowing too many calls to be a) profitable and b) look cheap enough for a calling station to call and get lucky on a later street, which in this case villain did. I like about 55% flop bet here.

Barrel this turn. As others pointed out, your value betting line needs to continue on that turn card with the top overpair.

If you played this way you're going to have an easier river decision about whether to continue value betting (perhaps thin), check/call or check/fold (rarely in this spot I'd think), because if villain plays back at you a) you get an better assessment of his strength and b) stack to pot ratio has become very small, meaning it becomes an easier decision to play for stacks as you have little left behind. You'll win more in the long run this way. Are you using a HUD? Easier to read these situations with stats.

As played you are right to call, you made yourself look weak and even a fish will try to bet you off the pot there with a hand worse than yours.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands