$2 NLHE 6-max: AKs facing preflop 3B and 4B

J

Johnkanon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Should i jam? Should i fold? Any advice is welcome :)

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players

BTN: 118 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 21.43, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, hands: 16)
SB: 152.5 BB (VPIP: 41.94, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
BB: 69 BB (VPIP: 8.33, PFR: 4.17, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 24)
Hero (CO): 105.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A K

Hero raises to 3 BB, BTN raises to 8 BB, SB raises to 23 BB, fold, Hero ?

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
This deep my standard play is to fold AKs after I only have 3 bb invested.

If you play against very loose and aggressive players you are often ahead of their range and could go all-in. But usually only against ONE player.

If you raise and someone re-raises and after that another player 4-bet you are up against another AK at best (presuming they are somewhat normal players and not total maniacs).

So fold.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plug some ranges into an equity calculator to get a feel for where you are.

Here I gave BTN a wide range: 77+,AJs+,KQs,AQo+
SB a little tighter: 99+,AKs,AKo

Against that you have 31% equity. Slightly losing.

You are right that you are either going to fold or shove, but you will get called by at least one other player. Better to get away without much in the pot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The standard play here is to go all in with AKs, when you are only 4-handed, while AKo would be a fold. However I really dont like, that a passive player like SB with a big gap between VPIP and PFR cold 4-bet out of position. I think, its just screaming strength, so against this specific player type I prefer to get out of the way and pass the problem on to BTN. There is also something to be said for generally overfolding in spots like this at 2NL. A lot of players at limits this low are simply not able to cold 4-bet as a bluff, and if you remove bluffs from his range, even a hand as strong as AKs is in terrible shape.

Last edited:
G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just got into a similar situation. A couple of days ago I read an article about what they do not recommend against reraising or 4-betting with QQ, AK s. In such cases it is only necessary to play with AA, KK. My opponent, even preflop after my 4-bet all-in went with AK against my KK and won. Once again I am convinced on microlimites that the game is often reckless.

Attachments

• ice_screenshot_20190902-011048.jpg
    ice_screenshot_20190902-011048.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 13
Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jam or fold is fine. The sample size is a bit small and SB could have 4bet with QQ/JJ/AK.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would lean toward folding here for the reasons already stated before. You have two players showing aggression, including one who is out of position and one who looks pretty nitty. Calling is not really an option since the BTN will probably jam over you anyway.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would lean toward folding here for the reasons already stated before. You have two players showing aggression, including one who is out of position and one who looks pretty nitty. Calling is not really an option since the BTN will probably jam over you anyway.

The nitty guy was BB, who got out of the way. I agree, that calling is not really an option. Its either all in or fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jam or fold is fine. The sample size is a bit small and SB could have 4bet with QQ/JJ/AK.

SB is a VPIP 42 / PFR 13 over 31 hands, so he does a lot of calling preflop in general. That makes me think, that if he is looking down at a hand like JJ, AK or even QQ, and there is already a raise and a 3-bet in front of him, he will most likely just press the "call" button once again. Its very different, if his stats were VPIP 42 / PFR 37. If we are using a HUD, then why not take advantage of it to make player specific adjustments in close spots like this. That is sort of the whole point of having a HUD running ;)

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For NL2 zoom is good to fold with AKs. Low limit players bluffing very rarely by 4-bet. More often you'll play vs AA.