PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
villain 20/16/8 - 46 hands

Would you do anything different on the flop or just raise/call ?, i think turns pretty much a slam dunk shove, i dont see any point getting trappy or slow playing here,thoughts ?.

Cheers.

SB: $2.68 (134 bb)
BB: $0.80 (40 bb)
UTG: $3.01 (150.5 bb)
MP: $2.77 (138.5 bb)
Hero (CO): $3.86 (193 bb)
BTN: $2.13 (106.5 bb)

SB posts $0.01, BB posts $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has :kh4: :ah4:
fold, MP raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.18, 3 folds, MP calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39, 2 players) :kd4: :10c4: :3c4:
MP bets $0.25, Hero raises to $0.87, MP calls $0.62

Turn: ($2.13, 2 players) :as4:
MP checks, Hero bets $2.81 and is all-in

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure why you're raising the flop, and the flop raise sizing isn't great. Makes for really odd stack sizes on the turn.

As played, I'd probably still bet half or less on the turn even though river size will be small. We're not folding at any point after that, but we want to at least give our opponent a chance to do something stupid.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because you 3bet post flop and he called, I would have done the exact same thing

Shove on the TURN

When he calls postflop, I put him on flush draw or set

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure why you're raising the flop, and the flop raise sizing isn't great. Makes for really odd stack sizes on the turn.

As played, I'd probably still bet half or less on the turn even though river size will be small. We're not folding at any point after that, but we want to at least give our opponent a chance to do something stupid.

Drawy board and i dont expect sets to lead to often so i thought raise and call off would be a decent line. As for sizing a bit of generic button clicking on the auto sizings but i was aiming for shoving the turn, villain had 1.33 left into 2.13 so ye i guess it's awkward on club turns. Im not sure if QJ calls the flop so those draws probably aren't so much of a worry. Maybe smaller on the flop with a larger turn shove ? or Would you play 3 streets and go smaller 3 streets lining up a river shove ?. Should i be aiming to fold tptk at some point on this type of board in a 3bet pot vs aggression with AK ?

Last edited:
SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When Villain leads the flop, he definitely can have sets in his range. He can also definitely have hands like QJc that hold a lot of equity. The only other reason he would lead the flop is if he was trying to bluff the K, putting you on a pocket pair like QQ or JJ and hoping to take the pot right there.

After he calls, I'm putting him on KQ, KT, TT, QJ, and the occasional 33, J9c, other flush draws. We turn top 2 and since we decided to check raise the flop, we aren't folding now. The only hand that got there was QJ and if we were already behind to a flopped set, all we can do is pray for an A or K. Not sure I agree with the flop re-raise for those reasons, plus like John A said- it puts us in an awkward stack size spot on the turn. We pretty much only have one option left-shove.

All in all, the donk lead from Villain on flop sends a red flag for sure, so I think we just have to call and see what he does on the turn and river. If he is trying to bluff you off QQ or JJ, we get all the money. And if he had flopped a set, we can catch up or fold on bad runouts. However, say we didn't raise the flop and instead just called, and Villain checked to us on the turn. What's your play? I think firing a slightly larger than 1/2 pot size bet and folding to shoves would be the way to go, but that's just be. It's hard to fold top 2, but QJ is definitely in his range, as well as TT and 33.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
However, say we didn't raise the flop and instead just called, and Villain checked to us on the turn. What's your play? I think firing a slightly larger than 1/2 pot size bet and folding to shoves would be the way to go, but that's just be. It's hard to fold top 2, but QJ is definitely in his range, as well as TT and 33.

I would be firing around 1/2p and calling vs a shove even unimproved. Esentially the A on the turn doesn't improve my relative hand strengh it's sets or draws at that point.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be firing around 1/2p and calling vs a shove even unimproved. Esentially the A on the turn doesn't improve my relative hand strengh it's sets or draws at that point.

True, but it can definitely improve Villain's hand strength. Besides, what hands are you putting Villain on when he check-shoves turn? The only hands we are ahead of are KQ, KT, and flush draws, and are those hands really check-shoving us? We are losing to the other half of hands(TT, 33, and QJ). It's a very close spot if action went that way. How it was played though, we definitely aren't folding.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
True, but it can definitely improve Villain's hand strength. Besides, what hands are you putting Villain on when he check-shoves turn? The only hands we are ahead of are KQ, KT, and flush draws, and are those hands really check-shoving us? We are losing to the other half of hands(TT, 33, and QJ). It's a very close spot if action went that way. How it was played though, we definitely aren't folding.

If i bet the turn im commiting in the given example , apart from clubs there aren't really any disasterous cards for me. The rest are gutter draws so not much of a worry AcQc AcJc and those type hands very likely just shove the flop with the combo draw. So on the turn villain likely has more hands like Kx clubs which are far more likely to take that line. Once they reach the commitment shreshold and decide to go with it on the turn imo. Either that or ye sets. Thanks for your input it was very helpful.

Last edited:
M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your play, sometimes he will show up with QJ or a combo draw but if he can have those hands he can also show up with ones you beat like K10 etc

Last edited:
B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should consider getting max value from opponent. i think you are too hasty here.