Turn: ($0.20) 8♥ (2 players)
SB bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25

River: ($0.70) 9♣ (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.64, SB folds

Total pot: $0.70 (Rake: $0.02)
MP (Hero) wins $0.68

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone!

I'm interested in what others think about this hand I played. NL2 6max zoom on stars, so mostly tight and bad players. Villain seemed to fit into this description based on hud stats.

Preflop:

I open raise 2.5x and villain calls in the SB. You don't see it often, but I guess some players might do it with small pocket pairs and some suited face cards? What range would you give villain here?

Flop:

I c-bet 1/3 pot. Pretty standard to continue as the preflop aggressor on this texture I think. Also, I'm probably at least in a decent spot against most of villain's range with 2 overs and a gutshot. He just calls.

Turn:
Villain leads out overbetting the pot. I'm pretty confused at this moment. I guess villain could have QTs and QJs or J9s for a straight, but they all seem pretty unlikely given the action. This was the hardest street for me to analyse so I'm very interested in what you would do here. I decided to call.

River:
9 comes in so the J straight draw gets there. Villain checks and I decide to bet. A line I would've taken with all my boats, straights, and probably AQ. AK seemed like a good candidate for a bluff.

Overall, most of my confusion was caused by having no clue of villain's range after the call in the SB and the turn bet. Let me know what you think!

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, first I would like to say that I never criticize the game of others, I only write about how I would have played the hand.
pre-flop: I know that raising 2.5 bb is standard but with AKo I prefer 3.5.

flop: it is correct to make a cbet although I think I should have made it bigger.
In the Turn: it was useless to make a bet there, these types of players will make you call with whatever, especially at the micro levels.
River: I would have done exactly the same check / fold.

you had a premium hand but at a level where you need something on the board to win, this was not the case better luck next time

Last edited:
H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, first I would like to say that I never criticize the game of others, I only write about how I would have played the hand.
pre-flop: I know that raising 2.5 bb is standard but with AKo I prefer 3.5.

flop: it is correct to make a cbet although I think I should have made it bigger.
In the Turn: it was useless to make a bet there, these types of players will make you call with whatever, especially at the micro levels.
River: I would have done exactly the same check / fold.

you had a premium hand but at a level where you need something on the board to win, this was not the case better luck next time

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I think you flipped perspectives somewhere along the way. I'm playing in position against the SB so he bets into me on the turn.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I think you flipped perspectives somewhere along the way. I'm playing in position against the SB so he bets into me on the turn.
yes you're right I had a mental lapse there I meant that you should have folded there and not continue with the hand and the same in the river no check/fold just fold