$2 NLHE 6-max: AKo MP vs CO, shove preflop?

P

playmakerrrr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/9aCKWDb

Villain: 25/16/4
cbet 71/fcbet 66/AF 1

His 4bet preflop size is suspicious and later on this cbet on the turn indicates that he did not have Q, If he had Q I would have expeced some 65% raise or something like that. It is possible though, that he had KK or AA...cannot se him doing that with TT...what I think the most that he had is the same hand as me.In my note tracker there is a note that 99 is in his 4bet range...

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
4-bet pot OOP

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/9aCKWDb

Villain: 25/16/4
cbet 71/fcbet 66/AF 1

His 4bet preflop size is suspicious and later on this cbet on the turn indicates that he did not have Q, If he had Q I would have expeced some 65% raise or something like that. It is possible though, that he had KK or AA...cannot se him doing that with TT...what I think the most that he had is the same hand as me.In my note tracker there is a note that 99 is in his 4bet range...

Hello there playmakerrrr, thank you very much for sharing your hand.

The Preflop

We don't need to be 3-betting a hundred of times AK from the blinds versus CO. The reason is that we need to protect, from time to time, our calling range, because if we only 3-bet AK, AQ, AJ, our opponents will notice that when we do call, we never have those hands. ;)
Of course we want to be 3-betting 70% and calling 30%, but both are okay. Consider that CO has many hands on its range when it opens, so you will get a lot of folds from that position and thus, not making as much value as you desired, plus you are always leaving your calling range out of protection, so opponents will triple barrel more knowing that when you call you never have AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, KJ, you name it.
There is nothing at all suspicious about CO's 4-bet, it goes for a 2.25x the size of your 3-bet.
We are slightly deep stacked from the BB and Villain CO has a couple more of blinds, so we do call, and this is not the happiest call of our lives: at the micros, specially unknowns players, DO NOT HAVE A 4-BET RANGE FOR bluff, so, they will always show AA, KK, QQ and AK, maybe some AQs that decided to 4-bet here, but they are not coming up with so rabbit out of the hut and 4-betting light with, whatever T9s (most of times, it is possible though).

the postflop

The Flop

There are already 45.5 blinds on the pot, the flop is very dry and CO comes for a 21 blinds C-bet. Do not forget this is not a single raised pot, this is a 4-bet pot, with a size bigger than usual, so it is not normal for the CO to go for 1/2 pot here because this commits both BB and CO, and assuming that CO is not an experient player, this bet seems more like AA, KK, JJ, because if you put up the combos that 4-bet now, we will have AA, KK (also assuming CO has no QQ) AK and AQ: we are losing for 12 combos of pocket pairs, plus 1/2 of the combos of AQ (we block 1/2 of them), plus if CO also has AK we are even.
Which bluffs CO could possibly has right now to c-bet 1/2 pot, once Hero/BB is holding the nut flush blocker?
Does it make sense to CO to be bluffing a flush draw here, and which suited broadways are on its 4-bet range?
I don't love the call here, because even if comes an ace on the turn we never know if we are ahead anymore, since Villain bets too much OTF.

The Turn

There are 88.5 blinds on the pot and CO double barrels (non-sense) to 41 blinds, nearly 1/2 pot, leaving only 40 blinds behind. IMO, CO should be shoving here because leving only 40 blinds behind it is another great sign that CO is not so experient. Here we have two options:

A) To fold because we still have 156 blinds behind and it seems that Villain's bluffs are over, either it is value betting AA, KK or Qx, besides there aren't many flush draws on 4-bet pots.

B) To shove the rest of Villain's stack, since we have a very good bluff catcher and equity for some rivers, because we are blocking the flush nuts line of Villain, we are blocking some combinations of AA and KK that could be on Villain's range, we block some structures of AQ, given the board, 1/2 of the combos of AQ we are blocking so given all of that we could be going, but we know that we are going here almost 100% of times against Qx, AA, KK, or some weird JJ, on which we are never winning any longer.
I like your fold, but I would be nittier here, folding already OTF, because I can't see many bluffs going for 1/2 pot c-bet/4-bet pot with such hands at the micros, they don't have a 4-bet range for bluff.
However, it would be better to shove here with a bluff catcher like this if Villain was also deep stacked, in this case, with only 40 blinds behind, CO/Villain will never fold to a push.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

P

playmakerrrr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again for a review. Yes, actually I do not have much to say here.I agree with you and I think most of the time I am behind. Eventually a shove on the turn would be fine if I had a note on the Villain that he is a donk or has a exremely high stealing percentage...

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly, when I'm out of position with that hand, I will often just 4 bet jam preflop. It simplifies the play of the hand, and you avoid guessing games like you had in this hand.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played this hand very well.

I agree that against the type of player with these stats, that small 4bet sizing is often used to induce with KK+. Even though you block these hands, I still like the pre-flop call instead of 5-betting and also your postflop line.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
His 4bet preflop size is suspicious

I think, his sizing is completely normal especially in position. I dont read anything into it, and I like the way, you played the hand. I dont particularly want to 5-bet AK and get it in for 125BB against a non-fish, when its CO vs BB. Giving up on the flop could be an option, but it does seem a bit tight. On the turn I dont think, you can do anything other than give up. Yeah maybe he bluffed you off a chopped pot, but you cant sit and call him down with A high just hoping to chop the pot, if he is bluffing.