$2 NLHE 6-max: AK flopped top pair vs flush run out 3 barrels

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 19/13/2

189 hands on villain, no evidence they bluff rivers. Their 3 bet is 5 (3/63). I reckon they have K clubs often here, with either AK or KK, or something else that beats one pair. Reasonable fold?

Pacific Poker - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 155.5 BB
SB: 110 BB
BB: 40 BB
UTG: 149.5 BB
MP: 87.5 BB
Hero (CO): 195.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A K

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, SB raises to 7 BB, fold, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 2 players) 2 J A
SB bets 10 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

Turn: (35 BB, 2 players) 3
SB bets 23 BB, Hero calls 23 BB

River: (81 BB, 2 players) 6
SB bets 70 BB and is all-in, fold

SB wins 76 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I would mainly 4-bet AK in this configuration, but mixing in a call from time to time is certainly fine as well.

Postflop
As played postflop seem very standard. On the flop the plan is to give him the rope to hang himself and call him all the way down on a reasonable runout with a pretty well disguised TPTK. However the runout is absolutely terrible, and on the river your hand is reduced to a tiny little bluff catcher. I would also fold now and save those 70BB for a better spot.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 19/13/2

189 hands on villain, no evidence they bluff rivers. Their 3 bet is 5 (3/63). I reckon they have K clubs often here, with either AK or KK, or something else that beats one pair. Reasonable fold?

Pacific Poker - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 155.5 BB
SB: 110 BB
BB: 40 BB
UTG: 149.5 BB
MP: 87.5 BB
Hero (CO): 195.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A K

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, SB raises to 7 BB, fold, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 2 players) 2 J A
SB bets 10 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

Turn: (35 BB, 2 players) 3
SB bets 23 BB, Hero calls 23 BB

River: (81 BB, 2 players) 6
SB bets 70 BB and is all-in, fold

SB wins 76 BB

setting traps is key to poker success and seems like you did a pretty good job there, remain consistent and take notes mark players information forever changes however, so tread carefully when bluffing or calling what might seems to be a bluff

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree in the large part with fundiver. We can play 4bet with ako on deep stack in this situation. From small position players like 3bet flop loose to raise from CO and button, because sometimes players think that players from CO and button try to steal the blinds. So small blind can bluffs us with weaker hand than our ako, usually are Ax hands. As played - I think that on the flop and on the turn call is standard. The river card is terrible and we should fold TPTK, I believe that player that some high card in clubs, so I fold. GL :)

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks fine... what's your 4-bet frequency?

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low currently John, to be honest.

Bit of background, after a couple of failed 5nl shots having built from a single min deposit to about $100 twice and then blowing a large chunk of bankroll in frustration both times, I've tried to really go back to some 2nl basics and fix my most obvious leaks. Had some pretty silly leaks and mindset troubles that I've tried to make an honest assessment of before grinding up again.

I'm sticking to linear ranges for 3 bet & 4 bet, at least until I can beat 2nl and get comfortable at 5nl. Beyond that would adjust a bit, but not really thinking about it for now.

I'm 4 betting AA & KK always, unless some rare situation calls for otherwise. Generally I'm 4 betting AK vs anyone who has a 3 bet of more than 5% over a reliable sample (or if there is some other giveaway they are not a nit). I know this is on the tight side. I'm hammering on short stacks generally, eg a 40bb stack that 3 bets me would have to be the biggest nit going for me to not be 4 bet shoving JJ+ & AK at least.

I'm calling vs 3 bet a variety of strong hands from ATs+, KQ, AQ, AJ & 88+, but this is totally dependent on action before me, position, reads based on hud stats etc.

Basically I am trying to stay out of trouble and rebuild some confidence. Happy to hear any advice or criticism :)

M

Meduza93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you made a correct laydown.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To elaborate a bit more on the river decision the issue with a 4-flush board is, its very difficult for people to find bluffs. If he construct his range in a reasonable way, then most of the hands, that barrel the turn, will have a club in them, since this gives him equity, and it also makes it less likely, Hero already has a flush. But when the fourth club comes on the river, all those hands are now flushes, so they are no longer bluffing, they are betting for value.

This mean, his weakest hand is now something like AQ with no club, that was betting the turn for value and protection. And is he now turning that into a bluff? Probably not at 2NL, since its very advanced to think about ranges and picking your worst hands as bluffs, even they are fairly strong in a nominal sense. Most people will check AQ on the river and pray, you check behind and show them a hand like AT, which they still beat.

Full Flush Poker