$2 NLHE 6-max: Aggressive Fish Makes Huge Overbet. Would you Call?

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yatahay Network - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

I have played roughly 100 hands with villain at this point and he is most definitely an aggressive fish. 70 VPIP and 67 PFR and I have seen junk showdown enough to confirm this. He had made all kinds of weird plays, some with hands and some with air, but this flop bet was out there...:confused:even for him. This was the longest I have ever tanked on a flop c-bet.:rolleyes:I decided to put on my seatbelt and go along for the ride.:deal:

CO: 115 BB
BTN: 143.5 BB
SB: 100 BB
Hero (BB): 100 BB
UTG: 101.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:club: 7:club:

fold, fold, BTN raises to 2 BB, fold, Hero calls 1 BB

Flop: (4.5 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond: 8:club: Q:heart:
Hero checks, BTN bets 26 BB, Hero calls 26 BB

Turn: (56.5 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond:
Hero checks, BTN bets 56.5 BB, Hero calls 56.5 BB

River: (169.5 BB, 2 players) 5:club:
Hero checks, BTN bets 15.5 BB, Hero calls 15.5 BB and is all-in

RESULTS ARE WAY DOWN AT THE BOTTOM

BTN shows K:club: A:diamond: (High Card, Ace)
(Pre 65%, Flop 23%, Turn 14%)
Hero shows Q:club: 7:club: (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 35%, Flop 77%, Turn 86%)
Hero wins 190.5 BB

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally probably would not have called, but you said yourself you had lots of information on them to indicate they bet big with lots of air. Poker is just as much about reading your opponents as it is about reading your cards. I think you made an opponent play here and it worked out for you.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much agree with the above. Just want to add, that even if your opponents are out of line, there is nothing wrong with sticking to solid fundamental poker yourself. And even from a maniac I would say, that most of the time that huge overbet on the flop is probably some sort of decent hand, that connected with the flop. There is a big difference between playing all sorts of trash hands and putting your entire stack at risk.

So I would probably not have called down with top pair no kicker. I think, that a little to often you will be shown something like two pair or even a straight, and he will completely own you. I dont know, how much there is to be learned from a hand like this to be honest. This kind of opponent is so far from playing well and probably not even trying. And when you move up, you are going to see less and less of this.

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much agree with the above. Just want to add, that even if your opponents are out of line, there is nothing wrong with sticking to solid fundamental poker yourself. And even from a maniac I would say, that most of the time that huge overbet on the flop is probably some sort of decent hand, that connected with the flop. There is a big difference between playing all sorts of trash hands and putting your entire stack at risk.

So I would probably not have called down with top pair no kicker. I think, that a little to often you will be shown something like two pair or even a straight, and he will completely own you. I dont know, how much there is to be learned from a hand like this to be honest. This kind of opponent is so far from playing well and probably not even trying. And when you move up, you are going to see less and less of this.

Hello fundiver, I remember you from when I posted months and months ago and I wanted to say thanks for always taking the time to help out this community. You always give well thought out responses and I appreciate that!:)

My original thoughts were, I have top pair weak kicker but I also have backdoor straight and flushes so as long as the turn is at least a blank I'm just gonna call this nonsense down. I think I like how your thinking about this though. I'm starting to learn the math behind poker and I believe we are getting to the point when someone bets 6x pot, we need to be good just a little less then 50% of the time to call profitably. I agree he could have many different 2pair+ hands that would do this along with his bluffs, maybe even better top pairs then mine. (Who knows really) My call with a hand this weak would just not be profitable and I'm just gonna be better off folding and finding a better spot to get his stack. I believe I just got fortunate here and I should not make these hero calls this weak.:eek: Now out of curiosity, if you were in this spot, would you call only 2pair+? Maybe just sets, straights and then fold everything else? Anyways thanks for your time!

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if I have a good position, of course I will equalize him and I may even play him everything.:)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now out of curiosity, if you were in this spot, would you call only 2pair+? Maybe just sets, straights and then fold everything else? Anyways thanks for your time!

Obviously its very situational against a player like this, so a lot depends on reads and dynamics. But I would rather call with QJ or QT, because then I block the straight, and I also have a gutshot to give me more equity when behind. I would also rather call with AQ or KQ, because then he might have top pair worse kicker. Not saying I would always call a 6 x overbet with these hands, but I would probably always fold Q7 or worse.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on the button there hand range is fairly wide so calling pre flop is ok , and the rest of the way i dont see anything wrong with how you played the hand ..and the fact you're telling us they were extremely aggressive leads me to lean even more so in that direction .

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd lean towards a flop fold, but you made a table read that nobody here can really comment on that will help you. You have to trust your read in these spots and make exceptions for the aggressive whales.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exploitative play to the max!! Tough spot but against a maniacal whale i think you played the hand great. Just one of those spots where you have to grit your teeth and call down.