$2 NLHE 6-max: AA vs. A?, bad play or bad beat ?

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Seat 1: treyxxx ($6.91 in chips)
Seat 3: faltamor ($2 in chips)
Seat 4: Braukie ($1.97 in chips)
Seat 5: AlexIDs ($2.19 in chips)
Seat 6: erwisch ($1.72 in chips)
treyxxx: posts small blind $0.01
faltamor: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to erwisch [As Ah]
Braukie: raises $0.04 to $0.06
AlexIDs: folds
erwisch: calls $0.06
treyxxx: folds
faltamor: calls $0.04
*** FLOP *** [Ac Qc 5d]
faltamor: bets $0.14
Braukie: folds
erwisch: calls $0.14
*** TURN *** [Ac Qc 5d] 9♣
faltamor: bets $0.23
erwisch: calls $0.23
*** RIVER *** [Ac Qc 5d 9c] K♣
faltamor: bets $0.30
erwisch: calls $0.30
*** SHOW DOWN ***
faltamor: shows [Tc Ad] (a flush, Ace high)
erwisch: mucks hand
faltamor collected $1.48 from pot

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624RvV6uv
Hello,
I have no information about villain, it was his first hand on this table

Hero got As Ah in the Button, called only preflop raises to fill the Pot
Flop: Ac Qc 5d
Villain raises 7BB, I was sure he hit Ad, I called
Turn: 9c
Villain raises 10,5BB. I called, thinking about villains range Ad ?, no straight, no two clubs, no FH, I have the monster with triple A
River: Kc,
Villain raises 15BB
4 clubs on the board :mad:

What would have you done ?
-Fold
-Call
-All In
-All In after Turn
-All In after Flop

I was rather sure he hit a flush, but was not able to fold my AAA, so I called.
I thought also about All In to bluff, but he might have Ad Jc

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold 4 cards of the same suit and my opponent bets on the river with very little bluff in this situation.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your preflop call is not efficient when you have 2 players to talk. You have to achieve isolation and reduce the variance here. You have no credibility to slow play with aces / kings / Queens in preflop, when you are the effective stack at the table. Instead, the SB could play slow preflop with monster hands, because he has enough stack to widen his trick range. Postflop there is not much to say. Possibly the villain continued betting or calling until the river, given the stake being played. I think you should focus more on getting value preflop with strong hands and avoiding multi-way pots, when you can represent a more aggressive range.
Greetings.

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely 3-bet pre-flop for value. If villain folds then we win the pot and if they call then we are going post flop with the best starting hand and position.

On the flop we have the nuts and villain is donk betting into us with 2 people behind. Truly a beautiful situation for us since he probably has a very strong hand or draw that he won't fold and we are beating whatever he has. Therefore we should raise for value on this flop.

Clubs getting there on the turn sucks. As played I would just try to get to showdown cheaply since we aren't nutted anymore.

The river is terrible since we are now losing to tons of flushes and straights and there is basically nothing left in villains range that we are still beating other than 3 combos of AQ and 3 combos of 55. We block almost all the aces villain could be value betting with so it really seems like he has us beat at this point. He is giving us a good price though so it's a tough spot.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played this hand badly. Pre flop should be a raise for value and to make the pot larger so we can gain more value on subsequent streets. On the flop when villain leads into us it tells me they rarely if ever have two clubs. Their donk lead is usually going to be more of a blocker bet sizing when they have a draw so they can "price themselves in" instead of you betting large behind them but when they bet large as a leadout then this to me is not a draw but it is a set, two pair or Ax. There arent many combos of any of those but at this point I would feel confident that is what I am going against. Given that, you can raise here since villain is not going to fold a lot or any of those hands and our raise might look like a flush draw to villain.

On the turn the 3rd club comes but I would not be worried based on my read on the flop. I think they rarely have a flush here so if they lead into me I am raising again and if they check to me I would be betting for value which at that point with about a pot sized bet left (if there was a raise on the flop) I would probably just get it in as K clubs x might call depending on villain and sets and two pairs are calling as well. Ax might fold but if they have what they had having one club then who knows maybe they come along which is what we would want. As played on the turn I am raising them again with the belief they do not have the flush yet. I think at this point I would be going with my read and if they were to re raise after the raise I would make here I would be going with the hand. Worse case is we have a re draw to the boat on the river and again Im sticking with they wouldnt have the flush yet.

The river sucks and we are stuck. Pretty damn good bet sizing by the villain here and as played I would make the call just cause I would need to see what the hell they got here with at this point. Still some chance it is a blocker bet that 55 is making or AQ is making so I would call thinking I would be beat but I would need to see it. Playing more aggressively up to this point could possibly have avoided this spot.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thanks all for your helpful comments, yes I have to work to be more aggressive...
so it was more a bad play than a bad beat

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should've 3 bet small by 2.4 times his opening, that gives him good price to call your raise. Cause if you raise big you will scare a lot of his midstrong hands.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think many people would see the neutral play here as slow playing your aces.
I used to do this. But upon analysing my results of the hundreds of AA hands, I always resulted in less equity being paid out for slow play (and more outright losses).

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think many people would see the neutral play here as slow playing your aces.
I used to do this. But upon analysing my results of the hundreds of AA hands, I always resulted in less equity being paid out for slow play (and more outright losses).

Yes I played slow here, I also analysed my AA hands (have not that much results) in cashgames and mostly it went to showdown with a few big losses.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop: Definitely 3bet. You should find some preflop 3bet ranges and memorize them. AA here is a 100% 3bet. This is your biggest mistake in this hand.

Flop: Contrary to most people I actually don't mind you calling here. Top set is a good hand to slowplay, it's not a mistake to call here.

Turn: This is where I actually lean to raise all in. There much more draws on the board now and pot is huge and even if villain folds his draw you are getting good equity denial.

River: As played easy call. His bet is very small and you will be overfolding if you fold your sets.

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the experience that I have had with a board like that I would have to fold. I would hate it but I would fold.