$2 NLHE 6-max: AA with flush draw vs turn jam

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a good few days, thanks to anyone who gave me feedback after posting a few hands recently. Have gone really back to basics and tightened up pre and post, and on a pretty good winning streak this week.

This hand was a bit of a head scratcher though, found myself questioning the call when reviewing after tonight's session.

Villain was 45/3, 3 Bet 1, Fold to 3 Bet 86 - had 415 hands on them. I put them on a range that has a lot of draws the way the hand played out, about 7% without AA and KK. Couple of hands that thrash me, but many I'm ahead of. Holding the Ad has me less scared of the flush, but obviously some made flushes are jamming this, and sets of Qs or Ts. Don't put this villain on a set of 5s very often.

So sometimes I'm ahead of a jam, and even when behind if I hit the flush I'm good.

Thoughts?

Pacific Poker - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 121.5 BB
SB: 32 BB
BB: 96 BB
UTG: 120.5 BB
CO: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:club: A:diamond:

fold, CO raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 7 BB, fold, BB calls 6 BB, CO calls 5 BB

Flop: (21.5 BB, 3 players) Q:club: 5:diamond: T:diamond:
BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets 15 BB, fold, CO calls 15 BB

Turn: (51.5 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
CO bets 78 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 78 BB

River: (207.5 BB, 2 players) J:spade:

Hero shows A:club: A:diamond: (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 93%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
CO shows Q:diamond: A:spade: (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 7%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
Hero wins 195 BB

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NH and well played. He is an excellent example of someone who overvalues one pair and the 3rd nut flush draw...

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you did anything wrong here, this hand was played great! It is such a weird play by villain, I really doubt he has a flush here almost ever when he donk overbets allin when the 3rd diamond comes on the turn. It's all player dependent but a player who makes moves like this is just losing money whether they have a hand or don't. I wouldn't be surprised to see Q2s 102s and 52s plus 22 from some of the stickier fish and then tons of turned flush draws, pair and flush draws, and straight and flush draw combos the turn gave him. Maybe, just maybe a very small flush he is afraid of you checking back with if he's a weak player. Whatever the case, he does not want to see that river card. If he had made his hand why would he make a bet your very unlikely to call. A great call by you in my opinion, glad it worked out!

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played.
Villain open raise range pretty tight (88+, ATs+, KQs, AQo+)
On turn he can only one flash hand KdQd and six set hands QQ and TT. And a lot of missing/weak hands he could bluff: AK, AQ, AJ, AT without Ad and KQs not diamond. So calling overbet push seems reasonable.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice hand bud! I think this is a pretty automatic call here, I think most of the time this is a v that is trying to win the hand outright and scare slightly better hands or draws off the board when he hits but knows its not the nuts. I think you run into this a lot at the lower stakes when you have players overvalue anything that hits because most of them are still at level one thinking of only seeing their cards. You're much farther ahead with thinking of v's range and how boards affect it. Well done and hope the run continues

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Villain is 45/3 over big sample, raising only 99+ AKs, ok he may be wider from Late Positions, so he's raise/calling a very tight range.

On flop we block AK/AQ + nut FD, and QQ TT sets should c/r that drawy flop. He doesn't have 55 or 2-pairs, because he limps that pre. He doesn't have AA KK, because he 4bets that pre.

On turn he doesn't have 22 or 2-pair 2x, because he limps that pre.

Usually a donk-jam like this is the nuts, but we block the nuts, so its either a weirdly played QQ TT, or its a bluff/semi-bluff with JJ 99 AK/AQ.

I would tank-call because bet-sizing is weird (huge) for a weak player (45/3), but not crazy in general.

By the way, bet the flop slightly bigger, but your sizing is perfectly fine.

Full Flush Poker