$2 NLHE 6-max: Is this a raise on the flop or the turn?

J

JackOscar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously not the best run out for AA. I'm guessing I should have raised on either the flop or the turn, probably the turn even though there's a chance he already has it since the chance that he's on a draw is just that much higher. I'm never getting value on the river with this texture anyway so that's even more reason to raise, but just want to make sure I'm not reasoning about this the wrong way.

On the flop I think it's best not to raise and scare off broadway card type of hands in case he manages to improve to top pair on the turn.

Is there anything more to this hand?

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

LuckyAlex5 (UTG): $2.40 (120 bb)
dragosmihais (MP): $2.51 (126 bb)
JackOscar95 (CO): $2.85 (143 bb)
Igro_K (BU): $5.98 (299 bb)
Her2804 (SB): $4.64 (232 bb)
Shaken625 (BB): $1.34 (67 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is CO with A A
2 players fold, JackOscar95 (CO) raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, Shaken625 (BB) calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.11) 2 5 7 (2 players)
Shaken625 (BB) bets $0.07, JackOscar95 (CO) calls $0.07

Turn: ($0.25) 4 (2 players)
Shaken625 (BB) bets $0.16, JackOscar95 (CO) calls $0.16

River: ($0.57) 6 (2 players)
Shaken625 (BB) bets $1.06 (all-in), JackOscar95 (CO) folds

Total pot: $0.57 (Rake: $0.03)
Shaken625 (BB) wins $0.54

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, raise the flop, raise the turn against a short stacked opponent.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That low connected board gives the BB's range a lot of pair plus draw type of hands, so I would raise his flop bet with the intention of getting it in and making him pay to outdraw you.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
OP, don't be result oriented, you played this hand perfectly. You don't need to raise on this flop, because your hand doesn't require much protection. Better to raise with something like TT. Raise on the flop is still profitable, but I prefer just call. However, raising on the turn would be a disaster. Villain has so many two pairs, sets and straights that you are setting up yourself to get stacked by a raise. Crystal clear call on the turn. River obviously is a fold. Well played.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wp, he don't have a full stack, but still 70bb is not so little. Call, call...OTR is already bad. The board and the size.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, its a little situational. If the Villain is a nit, then I am a little bit scared of this donk bet, because their range is typically very pocket pair heavy. So I probably pot control and play the hand, just like you did. However this Villain was a broken stack, so he was almost certainly a fish, and fish just love to donk bet with all sorts of crap. So against him I am raising the flop for value and also to control the action. If a bad card comes later, as in fact it did here, I can check back. Or if he donk bet again on the river, its still very easy to fold, and I got more money in, when I was still ahead.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played the hand very well the only thing I don't understand is, why is the bet size so low in the pre-flop? I would have played the same way but the pre-flop raise would have made it bigger maybe X4 or X4.5 not 2.5 as you did in this case

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, first of all I also think that hero should raise pre flop more, at this level at least 4x. On the flop opponent play bet for more than 50% of the pot and I think that is good situation to raise him on the flop. Besides the flop is seems a little dangerous for me, because of possible flushdraws and sometimes opponent will have flushdraw with two over card. Opponent play bet more than 50% of the pot and it seems that he has something and very possible that he will call your raise. If I were you, on the turn I would bet on every turn card, even if on the turn will come third diamond, because I want to have an initiative. If opponent call the turn I would play check on the river. With more aggression from you on the flop and on the turn it is very improbable that opponent was trying to complete the runner runner straight. GL :)

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Obviously not the best run out for AA. I'm guessing I should have raised on either the flop or the turn, probably the turn even though there's a chance he already has it since the chance that he's on a draw is just that much higher. I'm never getting value on the river with this texture anyway so that's even more reason to raise, but just want to make sure I'm not reasoning about this the wrong way.

On the flop I think it's best not to raise and scare off broadway card type of hands in case he manages to improve to top pair on the turn.

Is there anything more to this hand?

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

LuckyAlex5 (UTG): $2.40 (120 bb)
dragosmihais (MP): $2.51 (126 bb)
JackOscar95 (CO): $2.85 (143 bb)
Igro_K (BU): $5.98 (299 bb)
Her2804 (SB): $4.64 (232 bb)
Shaken625 (BB): $1.34 (67 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is CO with A A
2 players fold, JackOscar95 (CO) raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, Shaken625 (BB) calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.11) 2 5 7 (2 players)
Shaken625 (BB) bets $0.07, JackOscar95 (CO) calls $0.07

Turn: ($0.25) 4 (2 players)
Shaken625 (BB) bets $0.16, JackOscar95 (CO) calls $0.16

River: ($0.57) 6 (2 players)
Shaken625 (BB) bets $1.06 (all-in), JackOscar95 (CO) folds

Total pot: $0.57 (Rake: $0.03)
Shaken625 (BB) wins $0.54

Should not be folded OTR, there is just a couple of combos that have us beat, plus BB started the hand broken stack, one more reason to be leveling on the river by calling.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

J

JackOscar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should not be folded OTR, there is just a couple of combos that have us beat, plus BB started the hand broken stack, one more reason to be leveling on the river by calling.

Regards;

I don't understand that reasoning, he is calling from the BB he could have any hand like 68/76/65/43/22/55/66/77/88 and play this way and all of them have us crushed. Maybe he is bluffing with a busted diamond draw but so many of the 2 diamond hands got there on the river as well (like 8d9d) so there's even fewer of them he could have. And we are getting pot odds of 40%, do your really think 40% of the time we are ahead here? Against what?

You must explain this comment more for me to understand.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't understand that reasoning, he is calling from the BB he could have any hand like 68/76/65/43/22/55/66/77/88 and play this way and all of them have us crushed. Maybe he is bluffing with a busted diamond draw but so many of the 2 diamond hands got there on the river as well (like 8d9d) so there's even fewer of them he could have. And we are getting pot odds of 40%, do your really think 40% of the time we are ahead here? Against what?

You must explain this comment more for me to understand.

Yes, your reasoning makes a lot of sense if we are facing a decent player. Against this short stack/broken stack ones I don't mind going for stacks with AA.
The point you brought is interesting, Villain would not have 40% of bluffs on this river so it is okay to be leaving AA, KK, QQ etc on this situational spot, if our opponent is tight, nit or we have some information that could lead us to a more optimal decision, whether folding or calling.

Regards;

E

ev10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Open raise size

I think you played the hand very well the only thing I don't understand is, why is the bet size so low in the pre-flop? I would have played the same way but the pre-flop raise would have made it bigger maybe X4 or X4.5 not 2.5 as you did in this case

2.5-3 BB is generally the standard raise size for online cash games.

E

ev10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop and turn raise

Good job by raising the flop and turn, the only thing I think would have been better would be sizing up more on flop (ie 70%-80% pot) and the turn sizing I liked, but you could also think about over betting.

The 4s not great for us but we block A3 and villain shouldn't really have 68o so theres only 4 combos of 68s, I think you could have got more value and protection from say a 130% over bet from FD, straight draws and top pairs. What the over bet also does is lower villains implied odds putting him in a tougher spot, we're pretty happy if he folds out his equity or calling a jam here.

River is a good fold imo, well played in general just some things to think about.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, its a little situational. If the Villain is a nit, then I am a little bit scared of this donk bet, because their range is typically very pocket pair heavy. So I probably pot control and play the hand, just like you did. However this Villain was a broken stack, so he was almost certainly a fish, and fish just love to donk bet with all sorts of crap. So against him I am raising the flop for value and also to control the action. If a bad card comes later, as in fact it did here, I can check back. Or if he donk bet again on the river, its still very easy to fold, and I got more money in, when I was still ahead.

I'd replace situational, with common sense. :) You have a fish on the hook, you don't call down and let him off the hook. You get him committed as soon as possible by raising.

Against decent regs, calling down is perfectly fine with one pair. Even though most decent regs won't be donking into you on this kind of texture because they'd get crushed with bluff ranges.