$2 NLHE 6-max: $ : Was this a good spot for a double-barrel bluff on turn/river?

J

JackOscar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think when he doesn't C-bet the flop and I probe bet the turn he's probably either got a draw or a medium strength hand like an overpair (or close to the nuts) so when the turn comes a total blank I felt I could pretty likely bluff him off both his draws and made hands. I made the river bet pretty small to keep the RFE down and to make it look like I'm enticing his medium strength hands to call.
Does this play make sense at all here or did I just get lucky? Probably a lot of holes in my analysis either way but would be cool if someone wanted to help break this down a bit.

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

maiden8000 (UTG): $1.00 (50 bb)
svcul (MP): $0.94 (47 bb)
firstx1 (CO): $0.87 (44 bb)
Pajt10 (BU): $0.93 (47 bb)
Dexter486 (SB): $3.42 (171 bb)
JackOscar95 (BB): $4.78 (239 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is BB with T 9
3 players fold, Pajt10 (BU) raises to $0.07, 1 fold, JackOscar95 (BB) calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.15) 6 3 4 (2 players)
JackOscar95 (BB) checks, Pajt10 (BU) checks

Turn: ($0.15) 5 (2 players)
JackOscar95 (BB) bets $0.09, Pajt10 (BU) calls $0.09

River: ($0.33) 6 (2 players)
JackOscar95 (BB) bets $0.19, Pajt10 (BU) folds

Total pot: $0.33 (Rake: $0.02)
JackOscar95 (BB) wins $0.31

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your idea and betsizing is fine, but I prefer to use a hand, that has at least some equity AKA "semibluff". A hand with an 8 could be a candidate, because it can make a higher straight, or anything with a big spade. With Td9d I would prefer to just give up. I think, this is going to be a slightly losing play long term.

J

JackOscar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your idea and betsizing is fine, but I prefer to use a hand, that has at least some equity AKA "semibluff". A hand with an 8 could be a candidate, because it can make a higher straight, or anything with a big spade. With Td9d I would prefer to just give up. I think, this is going to be a slightly losing play long term.

Hey, thank you. Yeah that makes sense, if I'm ever giving up here it should probably be with a hand like Td9d so bluffing doesn't seem very balanced.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The button could have a lot of ace high hands KQ type hands and the board suits your range in the big blind.
He shouldn't really have any overpairs checking the flop. As fundiver said bluff with something that has equity rather than total air.
I like your sizings. sometimes you could get looked up by A highs. Once you've followed through and bet both turn and river he has probably decided to give up

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have no fold equity so betting here not good idea. Villain most times will call with something in hand.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think when he doesn't C-bet the flop and I probe bet the turn he's probably either got a draw or a medium strength hand like an overpair (or close to the nuts) so when the turn comes a total blank I felt I could pretty likely bluff him off both his draws and made hands. I made the river bet pretty small to keep the RFE down and to make it look like I'm enticing his medium strength hands to call.
Does this play make sense at all here or did I just get lucky? Probably a lot of holes in my analysis either way but would be cool if someone wanted to help break this down a bit.

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

maiden8000 (UTG): $1.00 (50 bb)
svcul (MP): $0.94 (47 bb)
firstx1 (CO): $0.87 (44 bb)
Pajt10 (BU): $0.93 (47 bb)
Dexter486 (SB): $3.42 (171 bb)
JackOscar95 (BB): $4.78 (239 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is BB with T 9
3 players fold, Pajt10 (BU) raises to $0.07, 1 fold, JackOscar95 (BB) calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.15) 6 3 4 (2 players)
JackOscar95 (BB) checks, Pajt10 (BU) checks

Turn: ($0.15) 5 (2 players)
JackOscar95 (BB) bets $0.09, Pajt10 (BU) calls $0.09

River: ($0.33) 6 (2 players)
JackOscar95 (BB) bets $0.19, Pajt10 (BU) folds

Total pot: $0.33 (Rake: $0.02)
JackOscar95 (BB) wins $0.31

This is a terrible bluff.

1) We should never be calling down from the BB with speculative hands when it comes POLARIZED preflop raising. In this case Villain raised 3.5x in position, which changes our calling/3-betting range drastically.

2) Villain is a broken stack 'ish' type, i.e: Fish, Recreational, don't know anything about poker 99% of times or more.

3) The flop isn't good for us. The turn we don't even mention, totally horrible. We bet here for information, a mistake that many players do these days, and there comes the excuses because the opponent is a fish, it is broken stack, etc.
The real fact is that we don't have any equity to be bluffing on the turn, we don't have straight draw, flush draw, if it comes a 9x or Tx on the river we don't know how good it is and, in the end, we are fighting for a pot of nearly 100 blinds.
So, if we do hit a Tx or 9x on the river we are jamming?
If Villain jams you OTR are we calling? We bet when we have equity.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa