Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $0.72 (36 bb)
MP (Hero): $2.45 (123 bb)
CO: $1.93 (97 bb)
BU: $1.04 (52 bb)
SB: $1.15 (58 bb) - passive fish
BB: $1.24 (62 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with 9 9
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, SB calls $0.04, BB 3-bets to $0.15, Hero calls $0.10, SB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45) 4 6 Q (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.23, SB folds, BB calls $0.23

Turn: ($0.91) 8 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB raises to $0.86 (all-in), Hero calls $0.46

BB is an unknown.

Preflop: I am learning to defend 3bet IP and don't mind passive fish acting behind.
Against nit I am folding.

Flop: I think BB would cbet KQ,AQ,KK,AA on the flop , and check back QQ/AK/JJ/TT or other hands.

Turn: Plan is to bet and give up river if BB calls. Didn't expect BB check-raised here.

What do you think?

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think you over valued your hand and you need to do some projections of future streets, at least next street, if you had made that, you would have full control of situation and don't to be caught by surprise. It's perfectly normal happening, share your experience on forum shows that you are a player in evolution turning yourself better, result of that? I am sure you are gonna be a great player!:)

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet slightly less on the flop, and check turn. You can't get more than 2 streets of value with this hand and board (and usually just one street). Unless you're planning on turning it into a bluff, you should be pot controlling at some point (turn).

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet slightly less on the flop, and check turn. You can't get more than 2 streets of value with this hand and board (and usually just one street). Unless you're planning on turning it into a bluff, you should be pot controlling at some point (turn).

I think there are more Ax combos that QQ-TT in villain flop check-call range, isn't it better to deny their equity? Or you think villain could have AQ/KQ in the flop check-call range as well?

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think betting both flop and turn is a mistake.

Once to get called by the BB on the flop, I think a check behind on the turn is better.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an easy check back on flop. You have position here so you can pot control with a marginal hand. If BB bets on turn you have an easy call, then you can reevaulate the river.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are more Ax combos that QQ-TT in villain flop check-call range, isn't it better to deny their equity? Or you think villain could have AQ/KQ in the flop check-call range as well?

You don't need to deny equity, you need to pot control with a medium strength hand. You're significantly ahead of your opponents A high and lower mid pairs. There's not enough second best hands that are calling two bets in that spot. It's a dry board, so it's an ideal spot to check turn.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you bet turn? strange. I would fold there is nothing you reasonable beat on that board except narrow 88,77, maybe 55. I am not sure players would 3 bet with those pre in a cash game. It's a fold from me.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why did you bet turn? strange. I would fold there is nothing you reasonable beat on that board except narrow 88,77, maybe 55. I am not sure players would 3 bet with those pre in a cash game. It's a fold from me.
No - I don't think there would be mid/low pairs in villain 3bet range.
This is targeting on Ax combos like A4s, AJs,AKo etc. I agree I don't have to bet the turn given TT-JJ should be in villain flop check-call ranges and NL2 players tend to very sticky with 2nd pair.

End up I call villain check-shove (I will fold if villain is deeper) and he showed AhTh, very interesting line that I don't see often.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A semi bluff on the turn there from villain, with the flush draw. Not as out there as you might think, but not the best spot for it. Ineffective in that spot because they are unable to put enough pressure on you, not enough chips behind to give you a tough decision with the amount already in the pot. Perhaps a leading shove on the turn would have given you a tougher decision, but with your stack so much bigger than villain's, plus the fact that this is micro limit, that is still a risky move with just one street left. Personally I’d be happier semi bluffing a flush draw on the flop with two streets left, and a lot more chance of making my draw.

If he had shoved leading out on the turn, let’s see… 9 cards to hit the flush, that is 19% card equity for one street. Let’s be generous and count his three Aces too, and give him 25% card equity. He’d have been jamming in nearly pot size, so pot odds of about 32%. Card equity should be higher than pot odds for a ‘correct’ bet there, so it doesn’t immediately look great. However, if you then add in some fold equity and implied odds, it maybe seems reasonable in a vacuum (wiser heads than mine might have a different take on that, and I still don’t personally think it is great play at micro stakes against unknowns). As played, when he checks and then shoves over your raise, his pot odds are more like 28%, only slightly better and his fold equity is much worse.

Your pot odds for calling the check/shove as played were about 17%. Even playing non optimally to get to that spot, you really needed to call that down, as you did (you could do some range vs range analysis to go further into that, but any time a bet comes in that is such a small percentage of the total pot it is surely nearly always technically correct to call it). Your pot odds if you had been calling a leading shove on the turn would have been 32%, much worse. I’m out of patience to do any further calculations, but I can at least be sure in saying it would have been a tougher decision.

Regardless…. as played I'd have checked the turn if I was in your position. Others have said it well, you have a hand that has some showdown value if you can get there but you need to pot control. Ideal for betting either the flop or the turn, but not both. It can be hard to resist the urge to double barrel, but with hands worse than TPTK you need to get into the habit, or you end up losing a lot of costly showdowns with pots far more bloated than they should have been. The end result if you don’t adjust might be that you are still a winner at the stake you play, but a much smaller winner. And your bad days? Well they are much worse, which can be pretty tilting and therefore lead to more mistakes. Trust me, I’ve been there and often days when I play am still there
:laugh: Much easier to take considered and calculated approaches to situations on the forums, but it is at least a learning exercise every time.