pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $2.63 (132 bb)
CO: $2.62 (131 bb)
BU: $5.83 (292 bb)
SB: $2.11 (106 bb)
BB: $2.25 (113 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with K A
Hero raises to $0.06, 1 fold, BTN 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, Hero 4-bets to $0.52, BTN calls $0.34

Flop: ($1.07) 2 4 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.34, BTN calls $0.34

Turn: ($1.75) 6 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($1.75) Q (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
4-bet and sizing looks fine.

Flop
Guess C-betting is fine, even though he dont have much here. We have the gutterball with a 3, but it would have been nice to have a BDFD as well.

Turn
I like checking here. He is never going to believe, we 4-bet with a 3 in our hand, so I dont think, we are ever getting him to fold an overpair. If he bets a significant amount, my intention would be to fold.

River
This is a card, we could actually try to represent, that we hit with hands like AX of hearts or AQ. So I would not hate a bluff here, which with the pot size would probably need to be a jam. If he is sitting here with a hand like 99-JJ, its going to be tough for him to dig out a call, and I dont think, we have any particular showdown value with AK unimproved. Ideally we would want to have a heart here, so we blocked the flush, but its a pretty minor thing. Checking and giving up is not bad, but if you occationally blast in with a bluff in spots like this, you will make yourself a lot tougher to play against.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Solvers overbet jam AKo in a 4-bet situation when 100bb deep and OOP (4-bet smaller IP). They go for that play because it's a strong hand pre with strong blockers, but it's hard to realise equity on most flops. If you want to be completely unexploitable you can balance a 4-bet jam range by including KK and play your normal sizing with everything else.

I've completely adopted this strategy into my play and it has been working out great. You'll benefit from maximum fold equity pre-flop and if you get called you'll still have a decent amount of equity. Normally solver strategies complicate things needlessly, but this is the rare exception because it simplifies so much. I really encourage you to try it out.

As played, AKo is your strongest "total air" hand and you'll never have enough pure value combos that you want to bet range. Checking it down here is perfectly fine because you still have a tiny bit of showdown value. Bet overpairs, AQ, Ah5h and AhKh for value and bluff with all/most A of hearts combos.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes thanks for the replies. I went to flopzilla and thought about it..

After looking back at 2nl do we think it is realistic V would 5-bet shove his AA,KK a good portion of the time? so I can weight those hands to about 25% calling ? or remove them completely against an unknown at 2nl? On the river here I thought about bluffing I am wondering if QQ,KK and AA would bet turn for value.

[FONT=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]If we assume villain bets his QQ+ for value on the turn do we think his river range is mostly TT,JJ,AQ,AK and KQ? and maybe QJs?

Against this range I am wondering if best play is to go for a bluff on the river, he will have TT,JJ roughly 30% of the time and AK, AJs another 25% of the time. If we bet 3/4 pot on the river we only need him to fold 42% of the time. I guess then it depends on reads on whether the opponent can lay down TT and JJ to this bet? Fundiver seems spot on about the analysis. I feel like I need to add some river bluffs into my game sometimes for-sure.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think you have to add all lower PP's into his range. This is 2NL and many players aren't going as far as you are into analysis, or playing with so much care and thought. Your 4 bet leaves him with decent odds to call, not necessarily against your range, but making a potential mistake call. Which will happen, as I'm likely to do it myself.

For me, 22, 44, 55 are calling flop and checking turn hoping for a jam, 33, has a good draw and could play this way, 66, 77, 88, and 99 have overpair to the board, and again can easily play this way to the river, including the river check.

Also can you add many more suited broadway type cards too. J10, K10, maybe even J9s, 78s etc These are all part of a potential range of someone playing how they have 'learnt' to play. Be aggressive on the BTN, tick, do you have odds to call, tick somewhat, float a C bet, tick.
I would not be checking behind you on the river with pretty much anything I still hold. Your check check looks very much like you missed, and as you have worked out, I should have some kind of hand. That adds another reason players could have more hands in their range. Cos they are either learning, or trying to 3 bet light more often, and expanding an already profitable TAG game.

Just today me and a mate were discussing 3 betting light in cash! How many AXs could there be in his range too.?
Right or wrong I could see myself playing with the above range sometimes, not all the time, but especially on the BTN, but then be unable to fold to your not huge 4 bet! Cos I'm not disciplined enough.

What do you think?
Its just my thoughts, and I've commented as I'm currently trying to formulate/improve/find a way to play cash, as I find it frustrating that I'm not yet solid enough yet!! But I do feel like I am a decent recreational tourney player. :)