$2 NLHE 6-max: 4 bet pot with AQs

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

V had a tendancy to raise people when having any position on them, he was doing it often, a-lot of times min-raising just to take the initiative and position so I did not perceive his range to be very strong.

V stats: 41/31/ AF 1.22 ( 40 hands)

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $0.92 (46 bb)
MP: $5.56 (278 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $3.98 (199 bb)
SB: $1.82 (91 bb)
BB (Hero): $3.22 (161 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A Q
UTG calls $0.02, MP raises to $0.06, CO calls $0.06, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.27, 1 fold, MP calls $0.21, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.63) 2 7 T (2 players)
Hero bets $0.28, MP calls $0.28

Turn: ($1.19) 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets $0.58, BB (Hero) folds

standard bet range spot and fold turn? what do you think about the sizing on the flop?

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If villain is playing a weak range here you have to be careful of over bluffing this flop. Especially against people that get sticky.

Because you have an incentive to call in the big blind, even more so with all the callers, the range you end up 3-betting is already very strong. The value combo's you can have on this board are basically overpairs TT+ and ATs Which amounts to not that many. For that reason, I'm not convinced that c-betting the BDFD is a good bluff. I would rather bet my Ahxh and weaker hands containing a heart. Betting the BDFD is never a huge mistake most likely even good against the right player type.

Nevertheless, because we're not betting often on this flop, I prefer to go with a larger sizing on the flop. Somewhere between 60 and 80% with 66% being my standard. Missing the backdoor draw on the turn we have to let this one go.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If villain is playing a weak range here you have to be careful of over bluffing this flop. Especially against people that get sticky.

Because you have an incentive to call in the big blind, even more so with all the callers, the range you end up 3-betting is already very strong. The value combo's you can have on this board are basically overpairs TT+ and ATs Which amounts to not that many. For that reason, I'm not convinced that c-betting the BDFD is a good bluff. I would rather bet my Ahxh and weaker hands containing a heart. Betting the BDFD is never a huge mistake most likely even good against the right player type.

Nevertheless, because we're not betting often on this flop, I prefer to go with a larger sizing on the flop. Somewhere between 60 and 80% with 66% being my standard. Missing the backdoor draw on the turn we have to let this one go.

Thank you for the feedback, I posted this hand on another forum aswell and have noticed many people like to bet larger than sizing I chose here, I am wondering why you would choose a bigger sizing? I believe gto is to bet small like 25-30% and a large bet being half pot in 3-bet pots because the SPR is low and its easier to get stacks in by the river. I am curious to know if the reason being that we think we generate more fold equity with the larger size? Should the smaller sizing not accomplish nearly the same thing but also leave room for fold equity on later streets etc?

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the feedback, I posted this hand on another forum aswell and have noticed many people like to bet larger than sizing I chose here, I am wondering why you would choose a bigger sizing? I believe gto is to bet small like 25-30% and a large bet being half pot in 3-bet pots because the SPR is low and its easier to get stacks in by the river. I am curious to know if the reason being that we think we generate more fold equity with the larger size? Should the smaller sizing not accomplish nearly the same thing but also leave room for fold equity on later streets etc?

Generally speaking, when betting a polarised range a larger sizing is preferred. Larger sizing generates more fold equity for our bluffs, forcing/allowing villain to fold a larger chunk of the marginal holdings, and generate more value for our nutted combos. I didn't really consider SPR when writing my initial reply but you're right that you can size down a bit so your sizing is probably better. Not sure what solvers are doing, but I'm going to do some solver work in the coming days to figure it out.