pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.93 (97 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.11 (106 bb)
BU: $1.65 (83 bb)
SB: $0.92 (46 bb)
BB: $2.13 (107 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with Q A
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, Hero 4-bets to $0.60, BTN calls $0.42

Flop: ($1.23) T K A (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.43) 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.45 (all-in), Hero calls $0.45

Here's range I assigned villain when he calls pre

I over-looked the stack sizes after the flop, not used to being in 4-bet pots, I think my plan was to call flop and fold to later streets but on the turn I looked at villain's remaining stack behind and realized I can't fold lol. Can we bet this flop or is it usually a check in your opinion? I have an idea you guys will say to call the 3-bet instead of 4-betting and I can understand that very much but I decided to go for the raise and thought maybe villain was trying to play his position with not only nut range, maybe this is not an assumption we should make without data? how do you play this?

We are being laid pot odds of 3:1 when villain bets 60c , so is this an easy call or do we have to wonder if we are ever good 1/4 times? Our hands equity rises to about the 33% mark if villain takes this line with AJs, but does he does this with AJs or AQ? I'm not sure. If he doesn't do this with AQ I don't think we can call flop

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a CO vs BU duel the ranges are wider, so It is reasonable to 4-bet with a hand like AQo. You can also mix calls with 4-bet, so there should be no hard and fast rule for these cases.
I guess you assume V is very passive, since he will never 5-bet / jam preflop with a hand like AKo. Either way I think a hand like AJs could bet on the flop OOP when it expects to get value from hands like QQ. If we think that this V is passive his range should have at least 1 combo: QQ of the 3 available. Therefore making a cbet on the flop will allow you to win money more times against this type of player.
As played we are giving up on the flop against his bet, as this player is unlikely to fold when he has placed 70% of his stack in the pot and also we will not be profitable when we x / r in these places. And If V senses that we are wider he should not many times bet on this flop as we have a advantage against his range on this texture.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
The problem with this 4-bet is, you put in more than a third of the effective stack, which mean, you have committed yourself to the pot. If he 5-bet jam, you have to call it off, and if he just call, postflop is going to be extremely awkward with less than a pot sized bet left. You could 4-bet smaller like 40-45c. However he is a broken stack, so he is probably on the fishy side of the spectrum, and therefore I dont think, he ever fold to a small 4-bet in position. And for that reason I would just call his 3-bet and allow myself some more room to maveuver postflop. Or I could even get on board with a 4-bet jam, if you think, he is more on the maniac side of the fish spectrum.

Postflop
Welcome to awkward land. We made TPTK, but against the range, he is supposed to have in a 4-bet pot, we do lose to a fair amount of hands like KK, TT and AK. AT, KT and QJ should really not be in there, but who knows, what a fish might call us with. We do beat some stuff like QQ, JJ and AJ, and we can also have all the AA, KK and AK in the world. So maybe the play here is to bet really small like 25-30c to pimp a bit of value from those hands, we beat?

You do check though, and now he essentially move all in, since he only left himself 45c behind. I dont know man. On one side I feel, we are beat here, but on the other side the SPR is less than one, and we are never drawing dead, since we have a gutshot. So I guess, its a crying jam and then hope to run good, or that we are somehow ahead? Mainly I would not find myself in this spot, because I would have played preflop differently.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre:
EDIT: oops

Your range completely smashes the flop. To be fair, after calling a 4-bet BU probably also caught a piece. Nevertheless, I would fire 100% of my range here.
  1. We're playing a tight range to begin with
  2. We have a million nutted value combos
  3. The bottom of our range only contains (marginal) made hands
  4. Most of the player base is uncomfortable in 4-bet pots
AQo might feel a little bit awkward because it has some showdown value, but with this range on this board we don't have any pure bluffs. It feels weird, but if we're playing our entire range instead of just this hand, we're always betting.

As played, you under-repped your hand, and you're pot committed. It doesn't feel great, but stacking is perfectly fine.

Villain's range:
I think most people would flat JJ, QQ, AJs, and KQs. AKs and maybe AKo are probably 5-bet shoved most of the time. There are not that many people getting tricky with AA, maybe a 50% or 25% modifier for the population. ATs is probably a fold for most.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: Since you're not closing the action you're probably not supposed to have a calling range here.

Think you misread the hand history? Hero opened from CO, BTN 3-bet, the blinds folded, and now action was back on Hero. This is a completely standard situation with Hero being 3-bet OOP in a heads-up pot, and we are certainly supposed to have a calling range. If AQ goes in that range or gets 4-bet is another thing. A guess, a solver would probably do a bit of both.