Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): $2.04 (102 bb)
MP: $2.51 (126 bb)
CO: $5.09 (255 bb)
BU: $6.75 (338 bb)
SB: $1.26 (63 bb)
BB: $2.98 (149 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with 3 3
Hero calls $0.02, MP calls $0.02, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.02, SB raises to $0.06, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.04, MP calls $0.04, BTN calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.26) A K 3 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, MP bets $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, SB folds, Hero calls $0.06

Turn: ($0.44) 7 (3 players)
Hero bets $0.28, 2 players fold

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Still not a fan of limping preflop, but when you do, you have to call a small raise like this.

Flop
Either bet out or go for a check-raise, especially when they bet so small. You have a very strong hand, and you can not rely on someone else to build the pot for you.

Turn
Strange line to go for a donk bet now. As played try to get a check-raise in now.

Results
Apparently they both had essentially nothing, and in that case you are just not going to get paid. This is not important though. The important is to play in a way, which allow you to win a big pot, when they do have something like for instance top pair.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Still not a fan of limping preflop, but when you do, you have to call a small raise like this.

Flop
Either bet out or go for a check-raise, especially when they bet so small. You have a very strong hand, and you can not rely on someone else to build the pot for you.

Turn
Strange line to go for a donk bet now. As played try to get a check-raise in now.

Results
Apparently they both had essentially nothing, and in that case you are just not going to get paid. This is not important though. The important is to play in a way, which allow you to win a big pot, when they do have something like for instance top pair.

I don't love limping pre most of the time either, though with small pocket pairs, it's perfectly fine to do it as you're deep enough to go set mining here.

On the flop though, I totally agree with fundiver. I really don't like the check behind. With two over cards on board, there ARE some potential draws (straight/backdoor flush) and given the action pre-flop, you WANT to start building a pot as soon as possible and try and get three streets of value. Given you're in a large pool, you likely know very little about your opponents, what they are capable of and how they will react. The best case scenario is, you get three streets of value and maximize your profit, the worst case, everybody folds. At least you'd be giving yourself a chance.

I also agree with the turn lead, as played, but I think that's a bi-product of your being passive on the flop. NOW you're ramping up the aggression? You're telegraphing the strength of your hand (limp-call raise pre, check-call flop, THEN donk bet on turn).

As fundiver said, you want to win a big pot, and you can't bypass opportunities to put chips into the pot. You should dictate the play and commit the chips rather than depending on people doing that for you. NOW, there are instances where setting a trap DOES work, though that is opponent specific, and there you can depend on someone to build the pot for you. It's up to you to figure out when playing passive works and when playing aggressive works, and that comes with playing more hands.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping preflop is worst option. Bet or fold(from early posion) will be better.
Broadway cards give chances they hit something, so you have to build pot here, so bet is mandatory.

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop

Flop

Turn

Results
I just don't know how to play small pocket pairs and get maximum value when I raise and players fold or I get 3 bet and then I have to fold anyway because of bad odds. Considering the villains stack size is at least 75-80BB, how many BB should to call up to try and flop a set?
Also if I limp and the pot is multi-way do I have better chance to get paid off instead of making players fold preflop?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just don't know how to play small pocket pairs and get maximum value when I raise and players fold or I get 3 bet and then I have to fold anyway because of bad odds. Considering the villains stack size is at least 75-80BB, how many BB should to call up to try and flop a set?
Also if I limp and the pot is multi-way do I have better chance to get paid off instead of making players fold preflop?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with raising preflop and getting people to fold. In fact unless you have a really good hand like JJ-AA, its the preferred outcome. For sure its not very exciting to win 1,5BB at a time, and especially not when its 3c. But small pots add up and make up a big chunk of long term results.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Well, if it's multi-way to the flop, you will occasionally get coolered with a hand like 3's by someone with a higher pair that also flopped a set. I think if you vary your play pre-flop, limp sometimes, raise sometimes, you should be fine. As I said before, I don't like to limp pre-flop, but at the same time, it's a fine play especially if you KNOW your opponent is going to 3bet. In a pool like Zoom, it's hard to get that kind of read on any one specific, unless you have played a lot of hands against them. In that situation, it's fine to limp pre.

It's the check behind on the flop where I feel like you lost value here. Like you said, you want to build a pot, and there are three streets (including the flop) where you can get value. Why pass on one street of value?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with raising preflop and getting people to fold. In fact unless you have a really good hand like JJ-AA, its the preferred outcome. For sure its not very exciting to win 1,5BB at a time, and especially not when its 3c. But small pots add up and make up a big chunk of long term results.

100% this. Raising is fine most of the time, and it's okay to limp on the odd occasion. Sometimes if I know FOR SURE that someone's hyper aggressive and will 3bet often and I have a hand that I want to take to the flop and I'm deep stacked enough, I'm okay with putting in 4.5bb instead of raising 2-3bb and then have to call off another 6-7 bbs.

There's no right and wrong answer to the pre-flop action here. It really does come down to the table dynamics and knowing your opponents (as best as you can at least).