$2 NLHE 6-max: 2NL Top Two Pair vs. Possible Straight/Flush

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I have check-called this river instead? Do I ever fold to the river raise? Getting 4 to 1 at that point on a call.

GG Poker - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 114.5 BB
Hero (SB): 140.5 BB
BB: 88.5 BB
UTG: 48 BB
MP: 137.5 BB
CO: 136 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K A

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3.5 BB, Hero raises to 12 BB, fold, BTN calls 8.5 BB

Flop: (25 BB, 2 players) A K 8
Hero bets 8.5 BB, BTN calls 8.5 BB

Turn: (42 BB, 2 players) Q
Hero bets 16 BB, BTN calls 16 BB

River: (74 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero bets 24.5 BB, BTN raises to 49.5 BB, Hero ??

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i will just nit fold, because this action is definitely value, vs the population top pair top kicker is most of the time behind

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will just nit fold, because this action is definitely value, vs the population top pair top kicker is most of the time behind

I agree the action is value, but it's 4 to 1 on a call. When I look at it now, isn't it closer to 6 to 1? I don't have to win very often to make it worth it, I believe?

And for what it's worth, this isn't TPTK, it's top 2 pair. I flopped AA and KK.

Last edited:
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're correct that you're getting closer to 6:1 on your call.

Given that the flush is backdoor, I would call that river raise. It's possible that he has AdXd, but that would just be unfortunate.

TJ and sets are also possible, but seeing as you only have to be right about 14% of the time, I think a call is good.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: 3bet to 4x.

F: as played, bet much bigger to 67-75% pot.

T: as played, check/call vs normal bet. If we bet, then we must bet bigger, but it's better to just play for a cheap showdown. It sucks, but board is getting worse and villain isn't folding.

R: as played, easy check/call vs normal bet. We have to slow down, and hope to see a cheap showdown. We don't want to get raised.

As played (bet), yes bet/call vs goofy raise.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

T: as played, check/call vs normal bet. If we bet, then we must bet bigger, but it's better to just play for a cheap showdown. It sucks, but board is getting worse and villain isn't folding.

R: as played, easy check/call vs normal bet. We have to slow down, and hope to see a cheap showdown. We don't want to get raised.

Thank you. I reflected on this and I think it's a perfect line here.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hello, I agree with that. Bet on the flop could be a little bigger, above 60% of the pot, because of some draws on the flop. On the turn we can play bet or check/call. On the turn complete sometimes some straights, but usually top two pairs are the best. So I prefer bet. The river card - 100% check and hard decision, what to do if he will bet. Check/call on the river seems safely. GL :)

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call because AQ plays this hand just like this. A set would be a bad beat and it is possible a J,10s got there by playing terrible. I think you should always call here with top two

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I have check-called this river instead? Do I ever fold to the river raise?

Hello, I agree with that. Bet on the flop could be a little bigger, above 60% of the pot, because of some draws on the flop.

I undesrtand the not so big bet on the flop as keeping the spades draw and Ax chasing to extract value

At turn check call i do not understand. Now there are 2 flush draws on board and now Id like to protect the hand.

At river I like check/call if V does not shove. If decide to bet I should have decided to call a shove before. That small raise Id call.

It all depends on the table dynamics and reads isnt it? What could V have to justify his actions? If 88 I wouldnt bet on the River, just call.

Full Flush Poker