$2 NLHE 6-max: $2 NLHE 6-max: tough spot strong pair vs river raise

2nji

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
NL Holdem 0.02(BB)
SB ($2.03) [VPIP: 63.7% | PFR: 4.4% | AGG: 17.6% | Flop Agg: 11.8% | Turn Agg: 18.4% | River Agg: 29.4% | 3-Bet: 2.9% | 4-Bet: 0% | Cold Call: 85.7% | hands: 121]
HERO ($6.04) [VPIP: 23.5% | PFR: 17.6% | AGG: 31% | Flop Agg: 30.1% | Turn Agg: 30.6% | River Agg: 33.3% | 3-Bet: 3.9% | 4-Bet: 1.5% | Hands: 7295]

Dealt to Hero: Th Ts

SB Calls $0.01, HERO Raises To $0.08, SB Calls $0.06

Hero SPR on Flop: [12.19 effective]
Flop ($0.16): 6s Ah 6c
HERO Bets $0.08 (Rem. Stack: $5.88), SB Calls $0.08 (Rem. Stack: $1.87)

Turn ($0.32): 6s Ah 6c 5d
HERO Bets $0.16 (Rem. Stack: $5.72), SB Calls $0.16 (Rem. Stack: $1.71)

River ($0.64): 6s Ah 6c 5d 3h
HERO Bets $0.32 (Rem. Stack: $5.40), SB Raises To $0.96 (Rem. Stack: $0.75), HERO?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
The preflop raise is fine

Flop
If he hit the A or 6, you are beat, and if he has a hand like Q9 or JT, that missed completely, he is not going to call you all the way down, when you go bet, bet, bet. So you need to do some pot control here, and even though TT is somewhat vulnerable to overcards, its probably a check already now on the flop, and then basically hope he checks back.

Turn
As played you 100% need to check now. He probably already folded out those Q9 or JT or whatever, and if not he is surely folding, if you bet again. So already now, you are pretty much only getting action, when you are drawing nearly dead against AX or 6X. Maybe he can have a few hands like 77-99, that call again, but there are way less combos of those than AX or 6X.

River
Basically what I wrote on the turn. You have already narrowed his range down to mostly hands, that beat you, and therefore the only reasonable play now is to check-fold. Instead you bet again, and since you already massively overplayed your hand, this is a very easy fold, when you get raised.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
The preflop raise is fine

Flop
If he hit the A or 6, you are beat, and if he has a hand like Q9 or JT, that missed completely, he is not going to call you all the way down, when you go bet, bet, bet. So you need to do some pot control here, and even though TT is somewhat vulnerable to overcards, its probably a check already now on the flop, and then basically hope he checks back.

Turn
As played you 100% need to check now. He probably already folded out those Q9 or JT or whatever, and if not he is surely folding, if you bet again. So already now, you are pretty much only getting action, when you are drawing nearly dead against AX or 6X. Maybe he can have a few hands like 77-99, that call again, but there are way less combos of those than AX or 6X.

River
Basically what I wrote on the turn. You have already narrowed his range down to mostly hands, that beat you, and therefore the only reasonable play now is to check-fold. Instead you bet again, and since you already massively overplayed your hand, this is a very easy fold, when you get raised.

Hey Fund,

As always, very solid analysis. I *think* hero is in the BB and villain is in SB and limped pf. Hero has position throughout the hand.

The way the hand is written, it's difficult to tell.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Based on how you put the position, this is a 6 max table where you are heads up so you are out of position being the BB. If this is really a heads up then SB range will even wider than it would be in a full 6 max table. I like the raise pre flop along with the sizing. 4x as you did here is better than 3x.

On the flop I like c betting to rep the ace and hoping villain folds. Depends on villain and their calling frequency for checking or betting but I like repping something here against what should be a wide range.

Once villain calls the flop, you definitely do need to check the turn and hope you can get to showdown cheaply. I dont think I would be on auto check fold on the turn but it would depend on what villain would bet when we check.

As played on the river I would definitely check the river and either fold or bluff catch. I would not lead out the river as you did. When villain calls twice they could have an ace so its a tough spot. I would base it on sizing whether I would fold or bluff catch the river. Many times they will have an ace and sometimes they will be bluffing.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I *think* hero is in the BB and villain is in SB and limped pf. Hero has position throughout the hand.

In heads-up poker SB is also BTN, and SB have position postflop.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check/fold from turn. way ahead/ way behind

2nji

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the replies, but i should have included that the hand started 6 handed but players left the table.
and villan calls very wide(his calling was that wide even 6handed, he limped alot and never limps and folds.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks for the replies, but i should have included that the hand started 6 handed but players left the table. and villan calls very wide(his calling was that wide even 6handed, he limped alot and never limps and folds.

This still does not change the fact, you massively overplayed your hand. Even the title of the post show, you dont understand the strength of TT on a board like A66. It is essentially third pair, which is normally refered to as a "weak" pair nor a "strong" one. The terminology used in for instance the program Flopzilla is "top pair", "second pair" and "weak pair". So in this hand you had a "weak pair", which is usually only good for one street of value.

I am not writing this to be rude to you. I and others post here, because we like to help serious new players improve. But the way to do so it not to sugarcoat it, when someone played a hand terrible, which is the case with this one. Remember this is not a criticism of you as a person or even as a poker player in general. It is only a criticism of, how you played this particular one hand. Best of luck with your game :)

2nji

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This still does not change the fact, you massively overplayed your hand. Even the title of the post show, you dont understand the strength of TT on a board like A66. It is essentially third pair, which is normally refered to as a "weak" pair nor a "strong" one. The terminology used in for instance the program Flopzilla is "top pair", "second pair" and "weak pair". So in this hand you had a "weak pair", which is usually only good for one street of value.

I am not writing this to be rude to you. I and others post here, because we like to help serious new players improve. But the way to do so it not to sugarcoat it, when someone played a hand terrible, which is the case with this one. Remember this is not a criticism of you as a person or even as a poker player in general. It is only a criticism of, how you played this particular one hand. Best of luck with your game :)

thanks for the feedback and no i dont think its rude, i wouldnt post if i didnt want to get better.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should use a hand converter to make it easier for people to read and reply