$2 NLHE 6-max: $2 NLHE 6-max: $2 NLHE 6-max: Help Putting Aggro TAG player on a range in 3-bet pot

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: $2 NLHE 6-max: $2 NLHE 6-max: Help Putting Aggro TAG player on a range in 3-bet pot

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 21/20/3

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.60 (80 bb)
MP: $2.34 (117 bb)
CO: $2.52 (126 bb)
BU: $1.89 (95 bb)
SB: $5.90 (295 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.06 (103 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with J Q
2 players fold, CO raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.20, CO calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.41) A J A (2 players)
Hero bets $0.20, CO calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.81) 4 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.40, CO calls $0.40

River: ($1.61) 9 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $1.30, BB (Hero) folds

Total pot: $1.61 (Rake: $0.08)
CO wins $1.53

----------

I'm looking for help on how to play this hand better and more specifically what range to put villain on. Villain is a 21/20/3 over 196 hands and has a fold to 3-bet of 87 (5/6). Here is my attempt at putting him on a range.

Given is PFR stat of 20, I am guessing he is raising 25-30% of hands from the CO:

AA-22,AKo-A8o,KQo-K9o,QJo-Q9o,JTo-J9o,T9o,AKs-A2s,KQs-K7s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s-97s,87s-86s,76s-75s,65s-64s,54s

After he calls my 3-bet in position, I am putting him on a tighter range and assuming he is not trapping with AA or KK:

QQ-88,AKo-AJo,KQo,AKs-A8s,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs

When the flop came, I definitely thought I was ahead with top 2. But based on the board and the above range I actually have like 47% equity.

I c-bet the flop for half pot. Should I have bet more to discourage a heart draw from calling? Or do I want him to continue with a heart draw to maximize value?

After villain calls my low c-bet I guess his range is mostly the same except non-heart suited broadways and KQo would have probably folded. At this point it seems like everything left in his range has hit the flop pretty hard and he's either chasing hearts or letting me hang myself. The turn also does not seem to change much. I c-bet half pot again and he calls. So again either chasing hearts or letting me hang myself.

By the time the river comes with a heart I felt I was behind and decided to give up. Based on him betting the river I guess he had me beat since I doubt he would bet with 88 or TT which are the only hands left in his range that I'm beating besides bluffs.

Is my range analysis correct here? Thanks in advance for any help.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, yeah. If you have statistics that you opponent fold to 3bet most hands, yeah we can sometimes risk and we can play 3bet pre flop, but If he call your 3bet pre flop it means for me that this time he has something and we should respect his call pre flop, because he do it rarely. On the flop you can play this hand on two ways. First option is bigger bet on the flop over 60% of the pot and if opponent call your bet on the flop I would play check on the turn and probably give up this hand. Second idea is fast check on the flop and allow to your opponent bets on the flop, he sometimes will bluff you one the flop and you should play fast call to show your opponent that you don't scary him. Sometimes it works and sometimes opponent will play check on the turn. If he later will check on the turn it means that he afraid of something on the flop and you can have the best hand. As played - good fold on the river. GL :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I dont really see the need for 3-betting this hand from BB and especially not at 2NL. Its very aggressive, and at this limit people tend to not fold very much to 3-bets. In which case you have just bloated the pot out of position. I would just call here and see a flop.

Flop
I would play this hand as a check-call. I dont really see, what the bet does? Better hands either call or raise, and most worse hands fold. If on the other hand you check and let him bet, then he can have bluffs in his range, and you have way more equity going to the turn. He might also check back, which is a totally fine outcome.

Turn
Now I understand even less, why you are betting? Are you trying to get him to fold trips? That will never happen. Or are you trying to get called by hands like 55-TT? That is probably also not going to happen, unless he is a total whale.

River
You painted yourself into a corner, and now you have no other option than to check and fold.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.60 (80 bb)
MP: $2.34 (117 bb)
CO: $2.52 (126 bb)
BU: $1.89 (95 bb)
SB: $5.90 (295 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.06 (103 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with J Q
2 players fold, CO raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.20, CO calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.41) A J A (2 players)
Hero bets $0.20, CO calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.81) 4 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.40, CO calls $0.40

River: ($1.61) 9 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $1.30, BB (Hero) folds

Total pot: $1.61 (Rake: $0.08)
CO wins $1.53

----------

I'm looking for help on how to play this hand better and more specifically what range to put villain on. Villain is a 21/20/3 over 196 hands and has a fold to 3-bet of 87 (5/6). Here is my attempt at putting him on a range.

Given is PFR stat of 20, I am guessing he is raising 25-30% of hands from the CO:

AA-22,AKo-A8o,KQo-K9o,QJo-Q9o,JTo-J9o,T9o,AKs-A2s,KQs-K7s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s-97s,87s-86s,76s-75s,65s-64s,54s

After he calls my 3-bet in position, I am putting him on a tighter range and assuming he is not trapping with AA or KK:

QQ-88,AKo-AJo,KQo,AKs-A8s,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs

When the flop came, I definitely thought I was ahead with top 2. But based on the board and the above range I actually have like 47% equity.

I c-bet the flop for half pot. Should I have bet more to discourage a heart draw from calling? Or do I want him to continue with a heart draw to maximize value?

After villain calls my low c-bet I guess his range is mostly the same except non-heart suited broadways and KQo would have probably folded. At this point it seems like everything left in his range has hit the flop pretty hard and he's either chasing hearts or letting me hang myself. The turn also does not seem to change much. I c-bet half pot again and he calls. So again either chasing hearts or letting me hang myself.

By the time the river comes with a heart I felt I was behind and decided to give up. Based on him betting the river I guess he had me beat since I doubt he would bet with 88 or TT which are the only hands left in his range that I'm beating besides bluffs.

Is my range analysis correct here? Thanks in advance for any help.

This all comes down to how well you know villain really. You say he is aggresive, but thats quite general. How many hands do you have on him? His f3b stat would be interesting specifically, provided you have a big enough sample. Is he a regular or some maniac?

Love the 3b sizing pre, dislike the cbetsizing OTF. We have a clear rangeadvantage here. If we play vs a fish id suggest checking to induce bluffs, vs a regular we cbet range with 33% pot to deny him equity since he is playing IP.

Id break V´s 3bcallingrange down into single combos to get more accurate results. Meaning depending on the V you want to account for KhQh and KcQc but not for the other KQs combos etc.

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
I dont really see the need for 3-betting this hand from BB and especially not at 2NL. Its very aggressive, and at this limit people tend to not fold very much to 3-bets. In which case you have just bloated the pot out of position. I would just call here and see a flop.

Flop
I would play this hand as a check-call. I dont really see, what the bet does? Better hands either call or raise, and most worse hands fold. If on the other hand you check and let him bet, then he can have bluffs in his range, and you have way more equity going to the turn. He might also check back, which is a totally fine outcome.

Turn
Now I understand even less, why you are betting? Are you trying to get him to fold trips? That will never happen. Or are you trying to get called by hands like 55-TT? That is probably also not going to happen, unless he is a total whale.

River
You painted yourself into a corner, and now you have no other option than to check and fold.

Thank you for the feedback. I think I was way overestimating my equity on the flop and betting for value, but as you said there are too few hands in his range that I am beating and getting a call from.