$2 NLHE 6-max: $2 NLHE 6-max: Ad 5d 0.01/0.02NL hand analysis

B

BlungeFart

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a new player, have been playing for a week and I'm looking through my old hands.
Got DriveHUD and copied the cardschat hand. I'm not sure if I played correctly here, would appreciate some insight.

NL Holdem 0.02(BB)
CO ($2.29) [VPIP: 17.1% | PFR: 17.1% | AGG: 33.3% | hands: 42]
HERO ($2.10) [VPIP: 28.2% | PFR: 21.5% | AGG: 32.6% | Flop Agg: 37.5% | Turn Agg: 32.1% | 3-Bet: 16% | Fold to 3-Bet: 0% | 4-Bet: 66.7% | Hands: 213]
SB ($2.04) [VPIP: 15% | PFR: 5% | AGG: 16.7% | Hands: 22]
BB ($2.39) [VPIP: 20.5% | PFR: 17.9% | AGG: 33.3% | Hands: 40]
UTG ($1.44) [VPIP: 45.2% | PFR: 22.6% | AGG: 41.7% | Hands: 32]
HJ ($2.36) [VPIP: 19% | PFR: 15.9% | AGG: 30.8% | Flop Agg: 16.7% | Turn Agg: 40% | 3-Bet: 5.3% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 65]

Dealt to Hero: A 5

UTG Folds, HJ Raises To $0.10, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $0.30, SB Folds, BB Folds, HJ Calls $0.20

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.86 effective]
Flop ($0.63): T 7 8
HJ Checks, HERO Checks

Turn ($0.63): T 7 8 A
HJ Bets $0.31 (Rem. Stack: $1.75), HERO Raises To $0.93 (Rem. Stack: $0.87), HJ Raises To $2.06 (allin), HERO Folds

HJ wins: $2.34

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Preflop: I like this hand for a 3 bet generally, but HJ opens 5x... bet sizing tells are a real thing, especially at 2 nl. If you think this is not a strong open size for V, then this combo works as a 3! bluff.

V flats, so that narrows his range down a bit. Unlikely to have big pairs, more likely to have a good Ax.

Flop: I think this is a good spot for a C-bet. This puts a lot of pressure on his AJ and AQ, and if you do get called by AT or JJ you have plenty of outs and likely will get two checks so you can see a free river.

Xing behind isn't the worst, but for the realization of equity I think it's better to stab now.

Turn: V takes the lead on an Ace turn to bet half pot. Why would you raise here? I understand that you have a lot of equity, but you are either against a strong Ax, which won't fold, or a bluff, that will fold.

With a weak ace, it's better to pot control and to bluff catch (generally). At 2nl, this guy isn't going to be folding an AJ anytime soon. You build a pot when you're behind, and get value from nothing else.

Flat call this.

As played vs V's all-in: I could be wrong, but you have to call 1.10 to win 3.56 here. You only need to win 23% of the time.

Vs. AK you have 27.3% equity. This looks like a call, but I'd double check the math (esp. the amount to call and the pot on the turn)

But even if you knew that at the table, this spot still sucks. Turn raise was the main error. Bet small on the flop and you'll see a river for free instead of for $2.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we are going to 3 bet this I think we need to size it bigger. Maybe 45 or 50 cents here as even though we are in position, A5 suited can be a hand that gets us in a lot of trouble when an ace comes out which is what winds up happening in this hand. We clearly are not raising pre flop for value here so the more often we can get them to fold the better.

On the flop I think we probably need to bet here for a few reasons. One is we want to rep a large pair hand that would definitely be betting here and second reason is that if we bet the flop and dont get raised, the villain will more than likely check to us on the turn and we can check behind for a free river card. Checking back this flop opens the door for us to face a large turn bet lead (larger than what we actually faced) which will not put us in a great spot unless the flush actually hits. Betting the flop here will usually pot the hand in our control until after the river card comes out.

On the turn as played I think this is a simple call. I would feel that we are behind a lot to Ax and could be up against a set or a straight even (although straight unlikely). Here's the fun thing, I want villain to have a set or a straight here when I make this call. I want them to have a very strong hand that a potential flush on the river can still beat. Making this call we are getting 3 to 1 which is against the odds but if villain has a hand they cant get themselves to fold then we potentially get an entire stack. I would make this call hoping villain is strong and hoping the flush comes in on the river not being the 7 of diamonds. We have position on the river and if the flush comes and villain leads into us... well that is when the world is a beautiful place.

Your raise on the turn will not fold out any Axs, it leaves us open to get re raised and potentially fold away our equity, and opens the door for us to get stacked if the villain just calls and then checks to us on the river when no flush comes in. Too many bad things can happen with this turn raise and almost nothing good can come from it. You get weaker hands or bluffs to fold and you get better hands to put us to the test.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't hate the 3-bet, but I'd go smaller.

As played at these stakes IP this is probably mostly a flop bet on this texture. I'd guess a solver would say 60/40 bet / check.

On the turn that's 100% always only a call. An even important note is that in poker, a raise fold when you have great equity is a big leak. It's not something you want to get in the habit of. If you have potential SD value AND you have the nut flush, you want to call to keep your opponents bluffing range in, while hoping that you can also improve by the river in case they do have a big hand.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, in this situation I prefer fold a5s pre flop, because pre flop raise from opponent is too big. Usually we have to hit something strong on the flop to try win a pot. If pre flop raise is too big like in this situation, the pot usually will be big and we will have a little hard decisions in this situation. As played - I agree with guys who prefer playing pot control with A5s in this situation. If you play in this situation 3bet pre flop you always should play cbet on the flop, because when you play 3bet pre flop and check on the flop, better players can think that you have air like two over cards. On the turn come even good card, we have more outs to complete something and win a hand, I still prefer playing pot control, because of weak kicker and I want to see cheaply the river card. GL :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands