M

Morra123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJo vs 3bet

appreciate any help.
trying to with without showdowns, which I do +- successfully, but sometimes I pull out stupid shit like that.

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.70 (135 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $2.61 (131 bb)
BB: $2.04 (102 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with A J
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN 3-bets to $0.21, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.45) 9 Q 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.45) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.21, BTN calls $0.21

River: ($0.87) K (2 players)
Hero bets $1.58 (all-in), BTN calls $1.58 (all-in)

Total pot: $4.03 (Rake: $0.20)

Showdown:
CO (Hero) shows A J (high card, Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 26%, Flop: 18%, Turn: 23%, River: 0%)

BU shows K A (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 74%, Flop: 82%, Turn: 77%, River: 100%)

BU wins $3.83

Last edited:
freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was a nice Buff u had the nuts bloquer so he has a toff call,off course having the Kh for him is way easier to call u because he is also bloquing some nuts combos.
I see 2 mistakes. You shouldnt call a 3bet preflop with that hand in micro,u are going to be dominated and wonth play it right and get into a lot off troubles,so simplifie and fold.
The other one is when you bluff turn make it biguer pot or ovepot(i like more overpot) that way u will have an easy push river, u make it with a big jam river wish make vilain belive u are bluffing more.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with freddydr87. Facing a 3.5 re-raise usually means the nuts. You could 4-bet if u have some fold equity but a call here is dangerous and expensive.
You could also check-call the turn with that hand and give up when u miss the river. You could still stack him when u hit and lose less when not.

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see a problem to call a 3-bet with AJ pre-flop it worth to see a flop,
The real problem here was your bluffing, On dry flops like this bluffing is not a good idea, particularly when you faced a 3-bet pre-flop and you are out of position,
I think worst part of your play was jamming on river, It is obvious that is not a value bet , Your all-in just had a simple message: "Please don't call"

K

Kaleiduo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most obvious problem here was your river push - considering the sequence of events, you are getting called by any king pair, reason being you missed the flush draw and pushing like you have some kind of nut hand (which is weird considering our betting line), which any king pair will instant call, at least at the micros. Also, you are shoving on a relatively small pot. Is it worth it to risk your whole stack for this pot? We whiffed hard on everything here, why not just fold? I think our ego may have gotten in the way here, and we should have just check folded.

I know your title implies what the right call is on the pre-flop three bet, but really that's not the biggest problem in this hand, post-flop play is more problematic. Calling AJo out of position isn't great, and maaaybe could have avoided the situation here, but really the decision to shove is a serious leak. I think emotionally when someone three bets us, we can't let ourselves back down and we try and fight for the pot, regardless of whether we are ahead or behind. I think we need to consider how we managed to tilt here and risk our whole stack when we were so clearly behind and essentially gave away how weak our hand was?

Villain's 3-bet his reasonably strong hand, and we should have kept that in mind when the queen and king popped up, which are well within villain's 3-bet range in a bunch of different ways. We are way overvaluing AJo and our post-flop play only made it worse.

These are the micros - you don't need to bluff to be profitable! ESPECIALLY at NL2! Semi-bluffing, maybe, but we would need more information on our opponent, which we don't have. Don't let our ego get in the way - if you are beat, fold.

Last edited:
K

Kaleiduo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean, look at the equity numbers you got here - low 20s, and then 0 by the river. We don't really need to know villain's hand to know how far behind we are here. Even the most basic TAG player has you beat here so often and we have to be absolutely sure villain is an ultra passive nit that they would fold in this situation, but honestly we should have planned that at the flop and played accordingly. But honestly, a 3-bet from a nit should have sent warning bells anyway.

But again, we need villain's stats, otherwise we're playing in the dark, and we shouldn't be even THINKING about bluffing at the micros without stats! ABC poker would dictate folding pre-flop to the raise, and limiting the size of the pot post-flop.

Don't worry too much about WTSD% or showdown winnings, this is NL2 where things are a lot more chaotic. Play hands that are strong, and we should be thinking about raising a lot more than calling. Calling is weak and bad and often the wrong play at the micros. AJo should not be in your 3-bet calling range, and even if it were, do we really want to call out of position like this? Fold, and get better positioning so that you can control the betting and put pressure on opponents without having to commit your whole stack. Shoving is best kept for special circumstances, specifically, when we virtually have the nuts against specific player types.

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
appreciate any help.
trying to with without showdowns, which I do +- successfully, but sometimes I pull out stupid shit like that.

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.70 (135 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $2.61 (131 bb)
BB: $2.04 (102 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with A J
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN 3-bets to $0.21, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.45) 9 Q 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.45) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.21, BTN calls $0.21

River: ($0.87) K (2 players)
Hero bets $1.58 (all-in), BTN calls $1.58 (all-in)

Total pot: $4.03 (Rake: $0.20)

Showdown:
CO (Hero) shows A J (high card, Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 26%, Flop: 18%, Turn: 23%, River: 0%)

BU shows K A (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 74%, Flop: 82%, Turn: 77%, River: 100%)

BU wins $3.83

We have two option from the CO preflop: we can be putting up a 4-bet bluff, because BTN can have enough bluffs preflop that might justify our 4-bet bluff with AT, AJ, AQ, because we never want to play a postflop game out of position with dominated aces, period.
Folding is the second option and I would be doing it in small frequency (30% of times) and this is when I am certain that the recreational players 3-bets basically only AK and maybe 99+, no matter if loose passive or tight passive (NIT).

Postflop your line is very good but at the micros, players simply do not understand enough of ranges to be folding in situations like this: when you jam OTR you are representing the Stone Cold Nut Flush (which Villain will never have because we are blocking it), so Villain should not be calling down with second nut flushes and anything at all, but lol, Villain/BTN easily calls having TPTK and Second Nut Flush blocker!
The play is almost perfect, but at the micros, 2 NLHE mostly, we should avoid trying to be fancy and just play a more "faced-up", "straightforward" game.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Aballinamion.

It takes a loooong time, but you have to create a defensive strategy against 3-bets- a calling range in and out of position and a 4-betting range (against some players a 4-bet bluffing range).

Theoretically this hand is at the top of our folding range and therefore could be used as a 4-bet bluff since it blocks AA, AK, JJ.

However, this is dependent on V's 3bet stat. If it is under 4, I wouldn't try it.

A quick idea of what hands to call- I'd take suited combos since they have more playability. I'd play a pair of aces pretty speculatively since V can have AQ+ here no problem. Calling with AJs+, KJs+, 88+ against most 5nl villains where I play. 4betting QQ+, AKs, suited wheel aces, maybe a KTs and ATs, QJs which aren't good enough to call in most spots.

Depends 100% on villains tendencies. Average 5nl V is 3betting BTN v CO 8%+ of the time.

D

Dimitris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre you exploit your opponents by over folding to such a big 3bets