$2 NLHE 6-max: $2 NLHE 6-max: Could I have gotten away?

L

lackingtoast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 30/17/1

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 3 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): 110 BB
BB: 130.5 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 22.86, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 38)
BTN: 128.5 BB (VPIP: 29.79, PFR: 17.02, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 51)

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:club: A:club:

BTN raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 10 BB, fold, BTN calls 7 BB

Flop: (21 BB, 2 players) 4:club: 4:diamond: 2:diamond:
Hero bets 11 BB, BTN calls 11 BB

Turn: (43 BB, 2 players) 2:club:
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (43 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
Hero bets 20 BB, BTN raises to 46 BB, Hero calls 26 BB

Hero mucks K:club: A:club: (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 71%, Flop 27%, Turn 2%)
BTN shows A:spade: 2:spade: (Full House, Twos full of Fours)
(Pre 29%, Flop 73%, Turn 98%)
BTN wins 128.5 BB

2 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

thylmanoid

thylmanoid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could you have gotten away? No.

You could have even lost more money. Why did you check the turn?

You are allowing him to reach flush draws for free. When he check backs the turn we know that he does not have over pairs (TT-66) he would bet those. So we can deduce he has a bunch of diamond flush draws, quads, full houses in his range. If he re-raises us on the turn - fold. If he calls I would probably check/fold the river if club, ace, king does not come.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normally you cannot value a flush very highly on a dubble paired board, but on 44227 in a 3-bet pot he should not really have any other boats than exactly 77, that rivered it, especially not since he checked back the turn.

Most of his range should be overpairs or floats and even some worse flushes, so I think, its fine to bet the river for value, and I would find it really difficult to bet-fold, when he is representing like one hand for value.

Its mostly just an annoying spot, because he played his hand in a very weird way, which turned out to be perfect against your exact holding. Its almost like, he knew, what you had, so maybe he was Mike Postle? :D

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet harder on preflop. With your hand you can make a larger 3-bet, remember that you are out of position and you must compensate your disadvantage against the BTN.
In the flop you have a pair of table with backdoor flush, which can improve in the following streets, but you can now place a continuation bet to lead the boat. You may be above several hands at this point.
Now on the turn you can play check-call for protection. There are several pocket pairs that have more strength to press you in that place.
Finally on the river your hand is completed, so you must bet on value. The size you chose half-boat seems appropriate. Then when the villain makes you re-raise, we will probably face a full house.
So this would be a difficult call on a matched board. I don't find it profitable to try 3-bet from this place in NL2.
Make a call in this place, do not look for 3bet in this stake.
Greetings.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet larger preflop, bet the turn and check the river

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet larger preflop, bet the turn and check the river

That would be pretty backwards in my opinion. Sure we picked up a draw on the turn, but if we bet again, what are we actually trying to make him fold? On this completely brick board he is never folding a pocket pair, and we are already ahead of everything else. So a turn bet pretty much allow him to play perfect.

On the river on the other hand we have a clear value bet, because now we beat all his pocket pairs other than 77, that just made a boat. Sure the board is dubble paired, but its very rare, that any player have a 2 or a 4 in a 3-bet pot. This time he did, but that does not mean, the value bet was bad. It just mean, we ran bad by running into the top 5% or top 10% of his range.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Finally on the river your hand is completed, so you must bet on value. The size you chose half-boat seems appropriate. Then when the villain makes you re-raise, we will probably face a full house. So this would be a difficult call on a matched board. I don't find it profitable to try 3-bet from this place in NL2. Make a call in this place, do not look for 3bet in this stake.

I certainly agree, that we should not 3-bet the river, but at the same time we can also never fold, when we are getting 5 to 1, we are very near the top of our range, and Villain could be raising a worse flush for value. So there is no other play here than to just call and pay him off. Luckily for us he checked back turn and raised very small on the river missing out on a lot of value.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I certainly agree, that we should not 3-bet the river, but at the same time we can also never fold, when we are getting 5 to 1, we are very near the top of our range, and Villain could be raising a worse flush for value. So there is no other play here than to just call and pay him off. Luckily for us he checked back turn and raised very small on the river missing out on a lot of value.

We were not lucky and at the same time we had it due to the little value that the villain takes.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On a double paired board, your flush is not worth very much. You could have found a fold there.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Difficult to get away from as played. I think a big size preflop is needed.

On the flop don't mind your size he shouldn't have too many 4s or 2s in his range A4 A2. Just a tough spot.
Not sure about your check on the turn with his exact hand he would have called your bet anyway but there are worse hands that your putting in a tough spot if your keeping on the heat.

On the river I think it's just a spot you call down on he could have worse flushes.

His bet sizing is crying out for a call but for that price I'm probably not folding tbh. If he went bigger it's quite poralising.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 30/17/1

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 3 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): 110 BB
BB: 130.5 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 22.86, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 38)
BTN: 128.5 BB (VPIP: 29.79, PFR: 17.02, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 51)

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K[emoji814]: A[emoji814]:

BTN raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 10 BB, fold, BTN calls 7 BB

Flop: (21 BB, 2 players) 4[emoji814]: 4[emoji815]: 2[emoji815]:
Hero bets 11 BB, BTN calls 11 BB

Turn: (43 BB, 2 players) 2[emoji814]:
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (43 BB, 2 players) 7[emoji814]:
Hero bets 20 BB, BTN raises to 46 BB, Hero calls 26 BB

Hero mucks K[emoji814]: A[emoji814]: (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 71%, Flop 27%, Turn 2%)
BTN shows A[emoji812]: 2[emoji812]: (Full House, Twos full of Fours)
(Pre 29%, Flop 73%, Turn 98%)
BTN wins 128.5 BB

2 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.
I think this line is ok, I just hate the river raise call, I think we can check call.... we keep all thier bluffs in, and based off pot odds we can hero fold to a jam this way...

And personally a spot like this is 100% a style choice, cause I would have raised exsactly the way you did PR, but on the flop I would have bet like 7BBs, then bet like 20BBs on the turn.... if Vill calls both those bets we can check call river (depending on river bet size).... then we are maximizing value without losing our entire stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On a double paired board, your flush is not worth very much. You could have found a fold there.

You cant just look at the fact, the board is dubble paired, you also need to consider, how his range hit that board. And especially in a 3-bet pot 44227 is way different than for instance QQJJ7.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
His calling range in position of your 3 bet includes A2s and A4s. And also 22, 44, and 77

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
O man. so much discord in this thread.

The turn play debate is real though. A bet on the turn would be one for protection, which typically isn't a good reason to bet. He isn't folding pocket pairs, and only folds worse... so I think you check as you did and sweat it out.

River you can't get away. You certainly could have lost more- here it paid to be conservative.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your preflop move, but I would check-raise on the flop. On the turn I like a check call and all in on river. Don’t think that folding here is the right decision. Fold on the river is too tight move, especially if we play against a wide enough range.