Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Maybe I called too quickly but this is a learning experience I was trapping the villain but the villain 🦹‍♀️ was also trapping wow 🤩 pocket 99 was on my mind for about 1 second but how could I fold maybe if it was a bigger game but a good learning experience please any thoughts 💭.
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

luzbel6662019 (UTG): $2.08 (104 bb)
Redlightrebel (MP): $12.56 (628 bb)
Andorrior (CO): $1.75 (88 bb)
PitBooLIK (BU): $2.68 (134 bb)
Zheka331 (SB): $2.23 (112 bb)
ratbat615 (BB): $1.22 (61 bb)

Pre-Flop:
($0.03) Hero (ratbat615) is BB with A♠ Q♣
1 fold, Redlightrebel (MP) raises to $0.06, 3 players fold, ratbat615 (BB) calls $0.04

Flop:
($0.13) 3♠ A♦ A♣ (2 players)
ratbat615 (BB) checks, Redlightrebel (MP) checks

Turn: ($0.13) 4â™  (2 players)
ratbat615 (BB) checks, Redlightrebel (MP) bets $0.08, ratbat615 (BB) raises to $0.16, Redlightrebel (MP) calls $0.08

River: ($0.45) 9♣ (2 players)
ratbat615 (BB) bets $0.43, Redlightrebel (MP) raises to $12.34 (all-in), ratbat615 (BB) calls $0.57 (all-in)

Total pot:
$2.45 (Rake: $0.11)

Showdown:
Redlightrebel (MP) shows A♥ 9♦ (a full house, Aces full of Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 27%, Flop: 20%, Turn: 14%, River: 100%)

ratbat615 (BB) shows A♠ Q♣ (three of a kind, Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 73%, Flop: 80%, Turn: 86%, River: 0%)

Redlightrebel (MP) wins $2.34

monkeytilter

monkeytilter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think with a relatively short stack of ~60bb and how much you have committed of it on the river you are never getting away from this hand.
Yes there are several hands that beat us but many more that we are beating here, mainly weaker Ax hands and I see players getting frustrated with hands like QQ/KK shoving in these spots at micros.

Chalk it up as a cooler but there are a couple of points that need to be addressed..
I don't like your sizing on the turn with your check raise, I'd be betting bigger here, at least 0.22, the game at this level is all about getting maximum value for your made hands, yes villain's bluffs will fold (his complete bluffs will most likely fold to 0.08 too!) but too many hands continue: flush draws, pocket pairs etc.

Don't sit at a cash game with less than a full stack (100BB) - you are missing out on important value that is the difference between being a winning and losing players at these stakes with the rake. Again, You are looking to make strong hands and get paid to the full.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I think with a relatively short stack of ~60bb and how much you have committed of it on the river you are never getting away from this hand.
Yes there are several hands that beat us but many more that we are beating here, mainly weaker Ax hands and I see players getting frustrated with hands like QQ/KK shoving in these spots at micros.

Chalk it up as a cooler but there are a couple of points that need to be addressed..
I don't like your sizing on the turn with your check raise, I'd be betting bigger here, at least 0.22, the game at this level is all about getting maximum value for your made hands, yes villain's bluffs will fold (his complete bluffs will most likely fold to 0.08 too!) but too many hands continue: flush draws, pocket pairs etc.

Don't sit at a cash game with less than a full stack (100BB) - you are missing out on important value that is the difference between being a winning and losing players at these stakes with the rake. Again, You are looking to make strong hands and get paid to the full.
Thank you for your comment very helpful will take note đź“ť.

L

LemonadeJooe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
Slow play in micros is never a good idea because of this very reason..
Sucking out on river.
You should have bet large on flop and shove all-in on turn.
You didnt so you gave your opp. opportunity to improve to a better hand.
Personally I wouldnt even play A9o from MP unless there are bad fit-or-fold players in front of me.
I would also set up auto-rebuy to get max value.
Also 3-bet with AQ from bb is almost always a good idea.
You are OOP so you need to show strength.

RafaCastelo

RafaCastelo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
i agree that slow playing wasnt a good idea....but , on the other hand, with that flop you woulndt have made him fold anyway..no matter what.....so the end would have been the same....it was a coin flip

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have read a few comments about your hand and I have to disagree with the general opinion.
Firstly, you are very lucky that you did not have a big stack. The larger the stack, the more difficult it is to make a call in the final. You both hit the flop, so no one would give up until the river. The size of the bets is not so important.
Secondly, the villain has an incredibly huge initial stack of 628 BB. Today is just his lucky day. And if the villain also plays well, then it is simply impossible to fight with him.
Third, you are sitting at a 6-max table. The fact that the opponent opens A9 from such a position as MP is absolutely normal. If we take another look at his stack, which is more than 6 times the initial 100 BB, then we will understand that his range of hands will be incredibly huge for exerting pressure. So if you raised on preflop, it wouldn't change anything. As a result, you lost only 61 BB. Your opponent probably wanted to get more for such a river and was not satisfied.

Last edited:
S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Looks like a cooler to me, but your turn raise is too small, make it bigger then you can jam river. Bad beats like this will happen all the time, but you cant fold as he could also have AT, AJ etc

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop: How often is villain opening and how do we think they will react to our 3 bet should we make one? That is what I would be asking myself here with AQ off on the BB 6 handed (which full disclosure I do not play much at all). If this villain opens with any normal frequency for handed or more often and we think they will continue a lot then I think we should be 3 betting pre for value here. There are plenty of worse Ax that will continue against us and we make more in the long run by raising here imo. If the villain was nitty or even just nitty for 6 handed then I think calling is okay but mostly believe 3 betting overall here is better than calling.

Flop: Without 3 betting here you have to check to the raiser and when they check behind thats fine since they could easily be checking behind almost their entire range here except JJ,1010,99 type hands. Those hands prob bet for a protection aspect so when they check I think its good for us. More likely they could have air like a K10 type hand but also more likely they have Ax when they check here then if they bet. Would be more interesting discussion for this street if you had 3 bet pre on this hand in regards to betting small vs checking flop. With your stack size in that scenario after 3 betting I would lean towards checking there as well. Just throwing that out there in case anyone is wondering.

Turn: Turn is interesting due to it being a second spade. We do have the ace of spades which is huge here so we would think we are up against less flush draws than normal. However, I am not sure I would want to check again here with the two spades on the board plus I want to build a pot. With the two spades more hands will call us here if we do bet since villain could have two spades and is then not going anywhere and just maybe they see the card and are planning some bluff attempt (which would not be a good idea but maybe villain doesnt think that way). I would lean towards leading here as I want to build a pot and if villain has nothing then we are not likely getting anything anyway rest of the hand so might as well try to get a little something here. I would bet something like 7 cents here and hope for a call. You checked and got the result that was wanted which was a bet by villain. Raising here is mandatory although your raise should have been so much bigger for two reasons. One is we want value and two is villain is polarized here due to two aces on the board and we have one so they either have nothing here and are folding to any raise sizing or they have the last ace (or stronger which would be very bad of course for us but not something I would worry about) and are calling or re raising any size raise we make it. Therefore if they are in a strict binary decision and we are strong then we should go big here and milk them for all we can milk them. There is only three Ax beating us and all other Ax is not going anywhere. I like raising here to at least 32 cents here which would leave us 84 cents with 77 cents in the middle which is close enough to a pot sized jam on the river. With your min raise there even if villain had KK they are likely folding.

River: I would think with villain calling our turn raise, even though it was small, that they have Ax a lot of the time. I would advocate going for it all here and just jamming even though it 2x pot or so. Villain could perceive it as a bluff but more likely they have A10 or AJ which for many players at these stakes will not be a fold or even a consideration of a fold. As played we bet basically pot and get jammed. I would feel AJ, A10, maybe even all Ax might play this way so I would never be folding here and would almost but not quite snap call. Also consider what we have in the pot compared to what we have left and there is no way you should be folding here imo. Like I said this is almost a snap call for me and I realize we could be beat here but there are more than enough Ax here that could play this way and with how deep we are that I am never folding this river. This is a tough luck hand that I can almost guarantee that if it was a 10 on the river instead of a 9 that villain would have done the same thing but they at least would have called and you would have won a nice pot. Bad luck on what turned out to be a bad river.

Top 10 Games Folding in Poker