$2 NL HE 6-max: $2 NL HE 6-max: Should I have gotten away from this?

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
I thought villain1 (black_milkas ) was pretty straightforward. Both other players were pretty extreme calling stations. I overbet the pot (probably not GTO) because I thought it was likely to get action from the calling stations if they hit anything, and I wanted to maximize value.

By the river I thought I was beat, but I only had to be wrong about that a few times to make calling worth it was my reassoning.

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

dobbler1 (UTG): $1.47 (74 bb)
sanvenec (MP): $2.84 (142 bb)
laoban888 (CO): $2.50 (125 bb)
black_milkas (BU): $1.25 (63 bb)
Gerdl80 (SB): $3.59 (180 bb)
ppoker_fac3 (BB): $2.46 (123 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (dobbler1) is UTG with Q Q
dobbler1 (UTG) raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, black_milkas (BU) calls $0.05, Gerdl80 (SB) calls $0.04, ppoker_fac3 (BB) calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.20) 3 2 8 (4 players)
Gerdl80 (SB) checks, ppoker_fac3 (BB) checks, dobbler1 (UTG) bets $0.28, black_milkas (BU) raises to $0.56, 2 players fold, dobbler1 (UTG) calls $0.28

Turn:
($1.32) 8 (2 players)
dobbler1 (UTG) bets $0.85, black_milkas (BU) calls $0.64 (all-in)

River: ($2.60) A (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $2.60 (Rake: $0.09)

Showdown:
dobbler1 (UTG) shows Q Q (two pair, Queens and Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 81%, Flop: 9%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

black_milkas (BU) shows 8 8 (four of a kind, Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 19%, Flop: 91%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

black_milkas (BU) wins $2.51

Last edited:
Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I'm not a cash player but what might be the hands he raised your over pot bet on flop?

I would guess he has an overpair himself or at least A8.

When another 8 came on turn, you only beat 99-JJ now but are beat by any hand that has an 8. So that's definitely not a great card for you, so idk why you bet so big again.

If you decide you're already commited to the pot, I'd prefer to jam the flop, rather than on turn.

But that's just my opinion.

I also have a problem folding those high pocket pairs still. 😅

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When another 8 came on turn, you only beat 99-JJ now but are beat by any hand that has an 8. So that's definitely not a great card for you, so idk why you bet so big again.

If you decide you're already commited to the pot, I'd prefer to jam the flop, rather than on turn.
That's useful. Thanks.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found thay nitty ABC regs love the click it back min raise when they are nutted.
Overbetting and then getting raised puts us in a miserable spot because I believe it narrows our oppents range considerably to hands that have us crushed. When we call we villains raise we are essentially pot committed.

Remember villian has min raised into 3 players! Showing strength and also trying to offer amazing odds to as many players to call.

We could have bet a smaller amount and then possibly had enough stack left to get away on on the turn.
It's a tough one with a short stack especially.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You overbet the flop and got raised! It's tough because you never know if he is doing this with 99,TT,JJ, but it will often be a set. I think the call is ok.

I wouldn't recommend leading flop, once he has raised flop, especially on an 8 as if he had A8 you now lose to that too. I would prefer checking and then calling or folding to a bet. Note that with so little stack left less than 50% it's not bad getting it in. Fortunately villain is not playing with a full stack saving you money (ideally you should play with 100bbs).

Your flop sizing was too big and hence you are kind of committed by the turn. I would have raised no more than 50% pot on the flop, which means worse hands might stick around and you could have got away later in the hand if villain starts bombing it

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At passive tables you also can open a little bigger, like 4x or 4.5x with competent hands in 2NL. The flop overbet is good against wide-range villains. But when V min raise in a dry board, it seems like an anti/exploitative strategy. You should either fold in that case or push with as little behind. And yes, I'm not surprised by villain's hand, since bottom sets would probably push much more frequently OTF in MWB.
Greetings.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
don´t need overbet that board in my opinion.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I thought villain1 (black_milkas ) was pretty straightforward. Both other players were pretty extreme calling stations. I overbet the pot (probably not GTO) because I thought it was likely to get action from the calling stations if they hit anything, and I wanted to maximize value.

By the river I thought I was beat, but I only had to be wrong about that a few times to make calling worth it was my reassoning.

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

dobbler1 (UTG): $1.47 (74 bb)
sanvenec (MP): $2.84 (142 bb)
laoban888 (CO): $2.50 (125 bb)
black_milkas (BU): $1.25 (63 bb)
Gerdl80 (SB): $3.59 (180 bb)
ppoker_fac3 (BB): $2.46 (123 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (dobbler1) is UTG with Q Q
dobbler1 (UTG) raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, black_milkas (BU) calls $0.05, Gerdl80 (SB) calls $0.04, ppoker_fac3 (BB) calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.20) 3 2 8 (4 players)
Gerdl80 (SB) checks, ppoker_fac3 (BB) checks, dobbler1 (UTG) bets $0.28, black_milkas (BU) raises to $0.56, 2 players fold, dobbler1 (UTG) calls $0.28

Turn:
($1.32) 8 (2 players)
dobbler1 (UTG) bets $0.85, black_milkas (BU) calls $0.64 (all-in)

River: ($2.60) A (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $2.60 (Rake: $0.09)

Showdown:
dobbler1 (UTG) shows Q Q (two pair, Queens and Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 81%, Flop: 9%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

black_milkas (BU) shows 8 8 (four of a kind, Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 19%, Flop: 91%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

black_milkas (BU) wins $2.51
Which hands do you expect they would be raising you on the flop? There aren’t many bluffs.
Second, passive players don’t bet or raise very often and when they do, be smart.
After he raises you could check on the turn because it didn’t change the situation very much.
We bet for value to get called by worst hands or we bet for bluff when we believe our opponent is able to understand our bet and fold better hands.
Most of these players don’t comprehend these concepts so it is a vaste of time.
Of course he could do the same move having K8, A8, 99, 77, 66 but you are better than that.
We have to fold strong hands like TT+ postflop more times than we think we should.
Don’t level against players, we do not bet because our opponent is a fish or a whale, be bet only for value or for bluff.
And try to play with a 100 blinds effective stack most of times, otherwise you could not get the maximum value when you hit.

K

kostja007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Minraises on the micros in cashgames means often nuts. I would just overbet pott against villain with 63BB and try to put my money as fast as possible. Against a reg or 100BB Villain you should bet/call and on turn x/c.