$100NL hand QQ vs 4-bet shove.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5-bet sorry, shouldnt really be posting while im playing anyway :)

I just felt after seeing him play JJ the exact same way earlier on that I was ahead of his range. I can see the value in seeing a flop in position, and getting away from it if an overcard hits. . He had AJ (WTF) and my QQ held.

wow i almost added AQs to my initial range but thought it would be too loose even for blind defense. gh.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a)

The only thing villain's image gives us is more reason to slow down since his range is tighter...
quote]

When I see 15/14 I know he is tight, but he's also being agro with basically any hand he plays. That range includes a lot more than AK, AA and KK. In other words, we're still way ahead of most of it, so I think jamming is ok.

I understand slow playing may extract more value, but I'm also happy taking it down with all-in PF. Obv, you can play it either way. I think for a less skilled player such as myself, the easier all-in PF is correct. For a really good post-flop player, calling is probably best. But I still think it's close.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I see 15/14 I know he is tight, but he's also being agro with basically any hand he plays. That range includes a lot more than AK, AA and KK. In other words, we're still way ahead of most of it, so I think jamming is ok.

I don't think there's anything wrong with shoving, but I do agree with dbitel in that smooth calling will give us a slightly better EV play, for reasons already mentioned.

I understand slow playing may extract more value, but I'm also happy taking it down with all-in PF. Obv, you can play it either way. I think for a less skilled player such as myself, the easier all-in PF is correct. For a really good post-flop player, calling is probably best. But I still think it's close.

I don't think you need to be a 'really good' postflop player - you pretty much shove when he c-bets a favourable flop, check/fold an unfavourable one. The only spot it would get tricky is on an Axx or Kxx flop, and having to decide whether he's got it or not.

I do see your point, though - I'm pretty much a terrible postflop player vs my preflop play, and although I agree smooth calling can extract a little more, I probably shove in the moment.

^^^

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands