$100 NLHE Full Ring: Stack off with top top with 55bb, standard or poorly played?

J

jfkingchan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
online poker game.My stack(BTN): $60
Villain:(UTG +1): $150
Fish(SB) : $100

Literally the second hand that I was dealt. During the first hand I folded 2 pairs on the turn in a limped pot while the fish went broke with second pair against a flopped set. The fish rebought immediately.

Villain raised to $4, I called with :qc4::ac4: on the button. Fish and BB called.
Flop:qd4::7s4::10s4: Fish led out $5. BB called $5 and the Villain, the preflop raiser raised to $15.
With my stack size I felt like my options are quite limited. If I just call I would provide extra equity for the fish and BB to draw. Of course I could be beat by the Villain but top top just sound too strong to even consider folding, especially with this stack size.

I shoved, fish shoved too(with Q9o), villain snapped and had a set of 10s. Is this a very standard situation or was it poorly played by me? In retrospect, how would you proceed if I am deeper and had say 150-200bb?

Advice very much appreciated!

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With your short stack size, 3-bet prefop and shove the flop.With a full stack, 3-bet and check this wet flop, delay cbet brick turns and fold to a raise.

As played I dont't mind the shove. You have $56 into a $41 pot. If you call and then shove the turn it would be $41 into a $56 or higher pot depending on what the other 2 do. Your TPTK will be ahead most of the time but anyone with a FD or FD+SD has the odds to call you. Obviously you'll run into overpairs and sets a bit and very occasionally 2P. So expectations should be to run about 55-45 in the long term in this spot.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 Jillychemung, however given huge fish I would personally just call, that is most likely wrong given we most likely flop top pair type of hand on multi-way pot, but can't be negative EV, especially because we can play without pressure given stack depth.

Preflop raiser raising flop must be strong because he must know fish will not fold, and given price he mostly will just call draws so someone might just say totally opposite because he knows more lol.

Also is OP sure he plays on right level? Having short stack and having doubts about how to play short is bit alarming.

Last edited:
M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stacking off on the flop with 1 pair in a multiway pot is almost always the wrong move. That is gambling my friend. You need to put your opponents in a situation where they call your hand, with a worse hand. Shoving this flop will fold out ALL worse hands and only get called by better hands.

How I would have played this hand:
1: I would be flatting the raise, you are not deep enough to 3-bet a drawing hand
2: Flop is a fold. Bet/call/raise in front of you? You have one pair and no redraw in a bloated multiway pot with a wet board. The ONLY hand you are flipping with here is specifically Qs/X, and you are in REALLY bad shape against the rest of his range. Sets, two pairs, combo draws.

T

tojobaggins

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
straight draw, flush draw, one higher pair draw.... If its tourney play I'd say early no push, late def push.... I'd have a hard time against a decent bluffer if the better hand comes, and the freakin sharks would smell the blood... so personally I'd probably push it, protect against the draw.... if the draw wasn't as good, I'd probably leave it alone.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too many options to lose for shoving in my opinion, especially when you have to fear to get called twice by fish with weak draw and villain with legit hand...

B

brettlums

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pretty bad board to shove with just top pair, you're giving them a great price to call with any flush draw or straight draw, you don't have any spade blockers and you're going to be behind any set. Would be better to call it down and if flush or straight gets there get out.

Cherepashkakry

Cherepashkakry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the top pair is not the nuts on such a flop.
Getting the best hand on the turn and river is a small chance.
This means that you should not put all the chips in the bank.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a multi way pot and a wet board. SB (fish) bets out BB calls and now the preflop raiser (UTG) raises. :eek: This should make all alarm go off.

If UTG is decent player then fold as what can UTG have that you beat and hes willing to raise two players with?

L

lezghin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not stand people who can not play themselves and do not give to others, they go all the time ol in anyway for good luck and annoying when you have to answer ... I feel like a fool in such cases. All mood kills to play in a tournament, but sometimes you have to answer:D:D:D

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a multi way pot and a wet board. SB (fish) bets out BB calls and now the preflop raiser (UTG) raises. :eek: This should make all alarm go off.

If UTG is decent player then fold as what can UTG have that you beat and hes willing to raise two players with?

This is so true. All you have is top pair top kicker on the flop. You are facing a strong bet pre that is either a set or an over pair. You also have two spades on board and if someone has spades, that would be something else you have to dodge.