$100 NLHE 6-max: Should I be folding my top set on this action / board run out?

T

tofushit888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys! I need some advice/tips on a recent hand that I played during an online session. Appreciate any feedbacks :)

Stakes: HKD5/10
Hero starting stack: HKD2200-2300
Villain Starting Stack: HKD3000
6-way

I picked up Qs-Qh on the button. Villain raises to 30 from the CO position, I 3 bet to 100. Villain calls.

Flop comes 5c-9c-Qc. Awesome I flop top set. Villain checks, I bet half pot for 105. Villain check-raises to 210 (weird min-raise). I call. So pot is now 635

Turn comes a Js. Villain now leads out with a pot size bet of 600ish. I call. so pot is now 1835.

River comes a 10d. Villain jams with his remaining 2000 lol... and I have 1300ish behind.

Pretty disgusting runout and situation for my top set... The only plausible bluff is trying to rep nut flush with Ace of clubs. After tanking forever, I ended up folding my top set in this spot. After the hand, he told me he was bluffing with an Ace of clubs lol, which just tilted me for the rest of the game.

Anyways, do you guys think its correct to fold given the action / stack size? or is it a never fold kind of situation? Thanks!

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well I know I'm not really qualified to give advice on what you should or should not have done in playing the hand, but there is one thing I would like to say...don't EVER believe anything a player says about what his hand was...it looks to me he was lying to you to upset you and put you on tilt. Look at the board runout....flopped a flush, and 4 to a straight by the river, both of which would have crushed your set, so most likely folding did save you a lot of chips. Never mind, next time you gonna kick his arse till his nose bleeds !!!

T

tofushit888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha thanks Gon for the word of encouragement :)

+++

Would anyone else play this hand differently?

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was a completely disgusting run out for your set.

Flopping sets is tough, but flopping flushes is tougher. I would have raised his c/r on the flop large, then put him in on a non club turn.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Usually I would call down with top set even on 4 flush boards, just because of balance, however, in this particular spot I would fold. Reason is that when you 3bet preflop and villain calls OOP, he doesn't have many off suite Ax hands, he might even have zero off-suite Ax hands, which makes it very hard for villain to find enough bluffs. Also, a lot of his missed straight draws are pair now and many players rarely turn their pairs into bluffs. So, I suspect that on this board, most players will be heavily underbluffing. Therefore, you should fold your hand.

T

tofushit888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a completely disgusting run out for your set.

Flopping sets is tough, but flopping flushes is tougher. I would have raised his c/r on the flop large, then put him in on a non club turn.

Usually I would call down with top set even on 4 flush boards, just because of balance, however, in this particular spot I would fold. Reason is that when you 3bet preflop and villain calls OOP, he doesn't have many off suite Ax hands, he might even have zero off-suite Ax hands, which makes it very hard for villain to find enough bluffs. Also, a lot of his missed straight draws are pair now and many players rarely turn their pairs into bluffs. So, I suspect that on this board, most players will be heavily underbluffing. Therefore, you should fold your hand.

@Sidetracked: Yeah I agree raising his c/r would have made my life a lot easier haha

@Liuou: good point on the fact he doesn't have a lot of off-suit A-x hands in that spot given he is OOP

Thanks guys!

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is a fold. Your 3-bet looks strong and might have AKs or AQs in your range, but Villain's call preflop puts many more suited cards in her range. Villain is either bluffing with her check raise on the flop or not and her lead out on the turn is is either meant to look bluffy encouraging a call or not, and is a bluff.

No way to know, but the time to decide is on the turn. If hero is committed to calling the river he should shove. If not he should fold. Calling behind is the weakest play, IMHO.

Folding in Poker