Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Qc Qh
fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, SB calls 6 BB

Flop : (18 BB, 2 players) 5c 2s Jh
SB checks, Hero bets 7 BB, SB calls 7 BB

Turn : (32 BB, 2 players) Jc
SB checks, Hero checks

River : (32 BB, 2 players) 9h
SB checks, Hero bets 22.33 BB, SB raises to 59.99 BB,

19/11 player on 220 hands. I hate these kinds of check raises when I have a lot of check backs behind.
How often should we call this & what bluffs do you think he has if he has any?
In my expeirence they always has it but I'm a huge station & I hate folding these spots

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate these spots too, still probably a leak I need to improve on. I usually try to look at aggression factor combined with river aggression factor here before I get sticky on this kind of run out. If there was a missed flush draw I would probably station it off but as played I really don't think he has TT or any hand we can beat often enough to be profitable. It seems risky for V to x river with value but realistically since Hero x turn it doesn't make sense for V to donk river as Hero is kind of under repped and has a ton of overcards that can't call down but may stab. I'd like to think if Vs stats look solid I fold here to the raise. V also hasn't shown much interest either so the I'd probably only go for half pot on the river to try to get wider calls. It may also save us money when we station off against a monster.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After your check back on the turn, I would have expected him to lead the river with any value hands.

Unless he is putting you specifically on an overpair to the jacks, and thinks that you will now bet the river for thin value.

Again, this is a situation where I doubt you'd be posting the hand if you'd won it, so he probably had a Jack, or 99.

Either way, in a B vs B situation, I would probably call it off.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Yea, he'd have to be turning TT, 88 into a bluff. Value could be 99 or quad J. I'd expect trip Js to bet out riv, but maybe cornbread is right here about the riv check. If he takes this line with all those hands I'd consider a fold.

I like the idea of a 1/2 pot bet riv too for general strategy.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I advocate an OTR pot bet. I know this strategy is old but sometimes super nit villains (as it seems in this case) could choose to pay us and no raises. We still have to be aware of the times that we can be good here. Do this villain's bluffs make sense? Do we observe something that makes us think that he can bluff? What hands can only call us? Is this villain capable of turning Jacks trips into a bluff? Thinking about this last question, I think if this V is able to turn his trips into a bluff I will consider folding on the river. Otherwise we have to call.
Greetings.