$100 NLHE 6-max: Flopped bottom set, turned boat and got raised, Hero?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $1 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 97.92 BB
BTN: 121.13 BB
SB: 318.23 BB VP 42 / PF 24 / 3B 0 / AF 1 / 101 hands
BB: 112.69 BB
Hero (UTG): 123.15 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6 6

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (10 BB, 3 players) Q 6 T
SB checks, Hero bets 7 BB, fold, SB calls 7 BB

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) Q
SB checks, Hero bets 10 BB, SB raises to 20 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

River: (64 BB, 2 players) 9
SB checks, Hero bets 30 BB, SB calls 30 BB

A lot going on in this hand in my head. Turn and River seemed tough and upon review I'm not sure I like my line. In real time I sized down turn to try and keep in the draws and perhaps induce a raise which I did. But the raise was a min raise. 3 betting the turn seems too strong. What can continue on a paired board if we 3 bet? QT and TT obviously but as far as hands we can beat it seems like any real 3 bet is getting a fold so flatting the raise seemed like the only option. Then when V checks river I think it's very rare that he has the straight. With the possible straight coming in it seems tough to get a ton of value again so I size down to 1/2 pot to try to get calls from Tx and smaller Qx and perhaps induce a raise again. Should I just be bombing river and going after the top of his range only and forgetting about hands like Tx or is this river sizing fine?

The other thing I was concerned about is balance. I WOULD bomb the turn with some combos of AQ or KQ to charge the draws so maybe I'm also giving Vs too much credit for folding their draws on a paired board and leaving myself open to exploitation. So when I size down here I have boats+, over pairs, combo draws, and whatever bluffs seem suitable. When I blast it I also have Qx that unblock the flush draws, draws, and bluffs. I haven't really counted combos though or done a full range analysis to see if this is too unbalanced and exploitable.

To summarize:
1 - Thoughts on the line in general.
2 - What are your thoughts on when to blast turn vs size down?
3 - Thoughts on blasting river vs value betting.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars - $1 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 97.92 BB
BTN: 121.13 BB
SB: 318.23 BB VP 42 / PF 24 / 3B 0 / AF 1 / 101 Hands
BB: 112.69 BB
Hero (UTG): 123.15 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6 6

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (10 BB, 3 players) Q 6 T
SB checks, Hero bets 7 BB, fold, SB calls 7 BB

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) Q
SB checks, Hero bets 10 BB, SB raises to 20 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

River: (64 BB, 2 players) 9
SB checks, Hero bets 30 BB, SB calls 30 BB

A lot going on in this hand in my head. Turn and River seemed tough and upon review I'm not sure I like my line. In real time I sized down turn to try and keep in the draws and perhaps induce a raise which I did. But the raise was a min raise. 3 betting the turn seems too strong. What can continue on a paired board if we 3 bet? QT and TT obviously but as far as hands we can beat it seems like any real 3 bet is getting a fold so flatting the raise seemed like the only option. Then when V checks river I think it's very rare that he has the straight. With the possible straight coming in it seems tough to get a ton of value again so I size down to 1/2 pot to try to get calls from Tx and smaller Qx and perhaps induce a raise again. Should I just be bombing river and going after the top of his range only and forgetting about hands like Tx or is this river sizing fine?

The other thing I was concerned about is balance. I WOULD bomb the turn with some combos of AQ or KQ to charge the draws so maybe I'm also giving Vs too much credit for folding their draws on a paired board and leaving myself open to exploitation. So when I size down here I have boats+, over pairs, combo draws, and whatever bluffs seem suitable. When I blast it I also have Qx that unblock the flush draws, draws, and bluffs. I haven't really counted combos though or done a full range analysis to see if this is too unbalanced and exploitable.

To summarize:
1 - Thoughts on the line in general.
2 - What are your thoughts on when to blast turn vs size down?
3 - Thoughts on blasting river vs value betting.

Okay if we are opening all the pocket pairs from EP, the sizing is fine.
Postflop is standard, SB calls too much preflop (42% VPIP), however we don't know for sure how often SB cold calls when EP raises + BTN calls.
It is strange that the player in the Big Blind folded, having very good odds to be calling with a massive defense range.

OTF I don't mind going for 2/3 pot, but I guess that considering how much fit or fold and passive your opponent is, we are going to get a lot of folds right OTF when we go for 2/3 instead of 1/2 pot.
We have a lot of juicy hands here and most of them are ahead of SB's capped calling range, such as AQ, KQ, QJ, QT, QQ, TT, AA, KK, the pocket pairs including 66, AK, AJ, as semi-bluffs, AT, you name it.

OTT is very strange when SB raises us because we usually have the best hands here. I would not be raising or jamming this passive player because it can display some strange holdings such as QT or TT, but folding also impossible.

OTR is very easy, we have position and SB checks down to us, making our lives pretty sweet: sometimes we are going to bet for value and sometimes we are going to check down to this passive player to see what the heck it was raising with OTT.
Being a weak player I suspect that it had raised you with Qx (trips) and called OTR, other options aren't sweet, but we must gain value sometimes.

Summarizing: I am neither blasting the turn nor the river, because our Villain is a loose passive fish, so we cannot try to counterplay these types of recs, but we must try to extract value from them, considering mostly its mistakes OTT.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your line looks good, I suppose that your displeasure has to do with the optimal obtaining of value for this hand. Sometimes playing balanced implies not obtaining the optimal value, we simply avoid being exploited. I think we can see it again.
Hero opens a standard size (from strong position) but of great proportion. The opening range generally represents a fairly narrow set, it could be something similar to: TT; J-J +; KQs; Axs; AJs; AQs/o; AKs/o. The villain calls cold, we can see that he has very little aggressiveness, although his hand sample is quite scarce.
On the flop the cbet is a very large size in my opinion, but I understand the reason. We have a lower set and we expect to collect from the draws and lower values. At this point we must again emphasize the passivity that this villain has. Your call could come from a semi open range like: 22-55: 24c; 7-8s: 4c; 9-8o: 12c; Q8s: 2c; Q9s: 2c + flush draws combos: 7c-8c; Kc-9c; Kc-8c; Ac-2c; Ac-3c.
On the turn the board is paired and now the texture has a great impact on our range, so a small size is recommended here. If we want to find the balance we can also check this turn, since we do not need protection and since we are IP, we can give the villain the opportunity to load bluffs in his range for the river. Another reason for the turn x / x line is to make up for the large bet size we put on the flop.
As played we put a second barrel of 41.67% and villain makes a min raise. Looking at SB's preliminary characteristics, we could consider the possibility that V has been slow playing a middle pocket like 7-7 / 8-8 and now wants to protect him. In addition, with them he can block combos in the H rank as KJs and can also limit hands like A5s-A9s when the hero uses these combinations from preflop.
3-bet on the turn would allow villain to fold the bottom of his range that is dominated. So the call is more appropriate.
On the river we have the lowest full house scale. We also don't block any flush nuts. I think if we bet 50% on the river it is because we plan to call anyway. Therefore, from a balance point of view, the times that only the villain does not call, we are losing value when we choose a smaller size. For this reason I would choose a larger size, something close to 80-85% of the pot. Only 2 combos kill the action (KJcc and J8cc) but both are unlikely in the active ranges.
Greetings.