$100 NLHE 6-max: Correct texture to bluff in the river?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Leveling Wars, Episode I: BTN 4-bets light vs SB

Possibly in preflop I have made a mistake with the increase size. Thank you for your analysis. Greetings.
The hand: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5q3Y1kn1

Hello dear mate, thank you for sharing with us! :D

The Preflop

I like your preflop raise of 2.25 bb, because we are opening too many hands from BTN at 100 NLHE (where we can really open 50% hands), so for the long run I am more on board of small sizings.
SB 3-bets to 3.6x and this could be a famous "leveling" spot, so if we do widen our 4-bet range too, no problem and we have a hand with such juicy equity, cause we are blockin' AK, AQ, KK and QQ that are hands that SB could be 3-betting for value.
When we do 4-bet for 2.2x and SB calls we have tremendous range advantage postflop, because we are holding all the AA, KK and AK and SB is not holding those. :eek::)

the postflop

The Flop

Very lovely play, this flop hits very much our 4-bet range because now we have AK, AQ, AA and KK, and I love the sizing used as well, usually I am going for 1/3 or even 1/4 pot in situations like this given how big the pot already is.
We don't need to invest very much OTF to put Villain/SB on all-in on many rivers, because our plan here is to c-bet 1/3 or 1/4 pot and send another bomb OTT,, at minimum 50% pot.
When SB calls you here it can have AQ, AJ, AT, some spaz suited aces such as A7s, A8s that got sticky given how dynamic BTN vs SB ranges can be, I believe SB would be folding its Tx types, and some pocket pairs that decided to call but are no safe enough such as QQ, JJ, 99, etc.
SB doesn't have AA, neither TT on its range, otherwise SB would be re-raising this or betting OTT. Again, SB cappes its range for a bunch of weak hands and we are pretty safe bluffing here all night long. 22 we don't expect very much to be calling down 4-bets oop.

The Turn

I don't like your check OTT very much because our most strong hands need protection, such as AQ, AK, and even AA, because now opens a flush draw of diamonds and there is the straight draw already. I would go for 60-80% pot to put Villain all-in on any diamonds river, any ace, or any Jx, that give us 'the nuts', any Kx.
However the check is not so bad, because we can do it sometimes with AA to induce SB to bluff on a ton of rivers. We already have information that SB has a very capped range so it is easier to manipulate the size of the pot.

The River

I like your sizing OTR too, because if we go all-in it seems very much a bluff, but when we bet less than the size of the pot it seems very much we want to get paid ASAP, turning the fold of hands like Ax, QQ, JJ, 99 very easy and good and profitable for us. Well played, loved it!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4-betting KQs is extremely aggressive, but maybe its ok, since its BTN vs. SB. Personally I would just call though. Small flop bet seem fine, but I think, you need to follow it up with a larger turn barrel to continue the story, that you flopped top pair or better. You want to try and get him to fold hands like QQ or JJ here. Otherwise you might as well just check back the flop and basically give up.

I am not loving the big river bet either. Now you are basically saying, you 4-bet with a 3 in your hand. Which he is not going to believe, if he can hand read. He ended up folding, but its quite possible, you were bluffing with the best hand or got him off a chopped pot.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
4-betting KQs is extremely aggressive, but maybe its ok, since its BTN vs. SB. Personally I would just call though. Small flop bet seem fine, but I think, you need to follow it up with a larger turn barrel to continue the story, that you flopped top pair or better. You want to try and get him to fold hands like QQ or JJ here. Otherwise you might as well just check back the flop and basically give up.

I am not loving the big river bet either. Now you are basically saying, you 4-bet with a 3 in your hand. Which he is not going to believe, if he can hand read. He ended up folding, but its quite possible, you were bluffing with the best hand or got him off a chopped pot.

Sorry, but we are not either 4-betting or calling 3-bet with KQs and other 4-bet semi-bluffs: we are mixing between calling and 4-betting. If we just 4-bet we are wrong and if we just call we are also wrong.
OTR, Hero is never representing any 3, and we don't expect SB to have any 3's right now: Hero's continue to represent the top of its range with AA, AK and AQ, so OTR we continue having Top Set and TPTKs.

Regards;

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OTR, Hero is never representing any 3, and we don't expect SB to have any 3's right now: Hero's continue to represent the top of its range with AA, AK and AQ, so OTR we continue having Top Set and TPTKs.

I disagree, since I see no reason for AA, AK or AQ to check back the turn and then bomb the river. Maybe Hero is representing A3s and A5s exactly, but that is just about it. Its a very thin value range and a lot of potential bluffs.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, but we are not either 4-betting or calling 3-bet with KQs and other 4-bet semi-bluffs: we are mixing between calling and 4-betting. If we just 4-bet we are wrong and if we just call we are also wrong.

True if the opponent is so good, that we need to worry about balance and being unpredictable. He might be, since its 100NL. But then again so many new players are on the tables these days, and even though I have played no higher than 50NL, I see no reason to assume, it stops there.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The villain is a solid regular. Both are right that he could have bet on the turn. The reason I chose not to do it is because I don't have a diamond blocker.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played this hand well. KQs should be a 3bet calling hand but you can add to 4bet range if villain 3bet too much.

You would have more weak Aces in 4bet ranges that you can check turn but fire on the river. KK/QQ would face a tough decision and JJ/TT would likely need to fold.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I disagree, since I see no reason for AA, AK or AQ to check back the turn and then bomb the river. Maybe Hero is representing A3s and A5s exactly, but that is just about it. Its a very thin value range and a lot of potential bluffs.

Terrific, thanks for the input. When it comes to the turn, okay, we are betting more than checking and I also made this appointment to our dear mate. And yes, my bad, Hero can have on its range A2s-A5s, that are part of its 4-bet bluff range.
I don't see SB with any of these, because it doesn't make much sense to call 4-bet oop, with these baby suited aces (but 5-bet/Jamming makes much more sense, given how weak these baby suited aces are).
And a maybe, Hero is representing Set of Aces, in the first place, which is the most common hand in 4-bet pots, second the baby aces and third some TPTK.

Regards;

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
True if the opponent is so good, that we need to worry about balance and being unpredictable. He might be, since its 100NL. But then again so many new players are on the tables these days, and even though I have played no higher than 50NL, I see no reason to assume, it stops there.

Yes, we play the same hand equal and in different manners. This particular combo I am totally on board of 4-betting the suited combos and calling the off-suited ones.
Nonetheless, we must have a decent 4-betting/Calling/Folding range. Yes, I can fold combos like this, in the same situation, if I see that SB are only 3-betting Premium Hands or a very low % of 3-bet preflop such as 3%, 2% and less than 1%.
So, I would fold preflop versus very specific nits and be calling and 4-betting depending entirely on Villain+my own perceived range.

Regards;

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The villain is a solid regular. Both are right that he could have bet on the turn. The reason I chose not to do it is because I don't have a diamond blocker.

Sorry friend, but this is exactly the reason why you should bet more on this turn, than checking. When you are holding the blocker of diamonds the flushes are not so much a threat, and when you have both diamonds you are betting our most strong draw which is SD+FD.
If we do check OTT when we are holding the couple of diamonds it will be very hard to get Villain all-in on rivers that completes another Diamond.
Summarizing, IMO, our hands need more protection when we don't have the flush blocker, thus, we should be bluffing/betting more.
Don't get me wrong, because considering all that said before, the check is also a line in situations like this, where we really have the combo draw and we want to realize our equity for free, but without insurance that we are ever going to be paid when it completes straights or flushes OTR.
Hugs, have a nice day! :):D

Regards;

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry friend, but this is exactly the reason why you should bet more on this turn, than checking. When you are holding the blocker of diamonds the flushes are not so much a threat, and when you have both diamonds you are betting our most strong draw which is SD+FD.
If we do check OTT when we are holding the couple of diamonds it will be very hard to get Villain all-in on rivers that completes another Diamond.
Summarizing, IMO, our hands need more protection when we don't have the flush blocker, thus, we should be bluffing/betting more.
Don't get me wrong, because considering all that said before, the check is also a line in situations like this, where we really have the combo draw and we want to realize our equity for free, but without insurance that we are ever going to be paid when it completes straights or flushes OTR.
Hugs, have a nice day! :):D

Regards;

It's true but I didn't consider the flush draw draw, I just considered the gutshot. Possibly the hero line is polarized on the river between aces set and AX. Since hero blocks aces from strong kickers, we must add in range v some flush blockers that could eventually become a bluff catcher on the river, if they were able to establish a done hand. Also friend have a good day.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KQs plays really well post flop so imo no need to make it a 4b bluff & get blown off the hand
I'd rather 4b KTs, QTs,A2-A5s & some other hands if I'm bluffing

Thefish87

Thefish87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quick question in here he mentions pretty much if he three betting would be three betting with ak kk qq aq hands in the sb...but truthful I been seeing a change of hands in the sb? Anyone see this the wide range variety of 3b or 4b hands in the sb recently?