$100 NLHE 6-max: Blitz, villain shoves, I have queens...

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.50/$1.00 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/2q7kNXe

rprmoo (UTG): $158.62 (159 bb)
tval35 (MP): $179.97 (180 bb)
SCORPION WINS (CO): $125.54 (126 bb)
chorche447 (BU): $137.73 (138 bb)
sportsguy16 (SB): $39.00 (39 bb)
MurphysLaw817 (BB): $94.78 (95 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($1.50) Hero (sportsguy16) is SB with T♣ Q♠
rprmoo (UTG) raises to $2.87, tval35 (MP) calls $2.87, 2 players fold, sportsguy16 (SB) calls $2.37, 1 fold

Flop: ($9.61) 2♦ Q♥ 7♦ (3 players)
sportsguy16 (SB) bets $9.61, rprmoo (UTG) folds, tval35 (MP) calls $9.61

Turn: ($28.83) 5♠ (2 players)
sportsguy16 (SB) bets $26.52 (all-in), tval35 (MP) calls $26.52

River: ($81.87) K♠ (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $81.87 (Rake: $3)

Showdown:
sportsguy16 (SB) shows T♣ Q♠ (a pair of Queens)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 27%, Flop: 13%, Turn: 7%, River: 0%)

tval35 (MP) shows A♠ Q♣ (a pair of Queens - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 73%, Flop: 87%, Turn: 93%, River: 100%)

tval35 (MP) wins $78.87

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just fold preflop. These lower end unsuited broadways play terrible against an UTG open range and a UTG+1 flatting range, and you have the worst seat on the table. Even from the big blind seat QTo should still be folded given the action ahead of you.

The outcome of the hand is a perfect illustration of, why you need to fold before the flop. QTo mostly flop a bad top pair or sometimes second pair, which is dominated by so much of the other players range. Its completely standard and expected, that someone has you outkicked here, or an overpair, or a set.

Your potsized donkbet on the flop is also not a good strategy. It takes away any option for them to bluff, and you basically only get action, when you are beat, or someone has a very strong draw. I prefer to just check to the preflop raiser, but if you are going to lead, you need to choose a much smaller sizing like 30% of the pot.

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fold preflop. These lower end unsuited broadways play terrible against an UTG open range and a UTG+1 flatting range, and you have the worst seat on the table. Even from the big blind seat QTo should still be folded given the action ahead of you.

The outcome of the hand is a perfect illustration of, why you need to fold before the flop. QTo mostly flop a bad top pair or sometimes second pair, which is dominated by so much of the other players range. Its completely standard and expected, that someone has you outkicked here, or an overpair, or a set.

Your potsized donkbet on the flop is also not a good strategy. It takes away any option for them to bluff, and you basically only get action, when you are beat, or someone has a very strong draw. I prefer to just check to the preflop raiser, but if you are going to lead, you need to choose a much smaller sizing like 30% of the pot.

thanks for the advice, I'm new and never thought about my range vs theirs (UTG range obviously is tight, I do know that)

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold preflop.
Honestly why are you playing 100NL? You will lose your bankroll very easily if you keep playing like this in these kind of stakes. Just some friendly advice.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold preflop.
Honestly why are you playing 100NL? You will lose your bankroll very easily if you keep playing like this in these kind of stakes. Just some friendly advice.

I was shy to say it, but this was also, what I was thinking, when I saw this and the other A5s hand. 100NL online is filled with professional players, who have been grinding for years, and who spend hours every day doing solver work. If you enter these games without even having things like your preflop ranges sorted out, you will be eaten alive.

I understand, that some people dont want to play for pennies. But if you are serious about online poker and want to become a winning player, then with this level of play you should only be entering the 2NL tables. I know, this might sound harsh, but its the honest truth.

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no worries at all - thanks for the honest advice.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes every aspect of this hand totally betrays you as a recreational beginner and the regs, me included, look out for guys like you and will be circling.

Fwiw.

Not full 100bb= beginner.
Calling in SB with unsuited broadways= beginner.
Donk betting flop=beginner
Getting it all in with a weak top pair=beginner.
To your credit at least you are here and learning.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly. Also what makes preflop even worse is the fact, that we are facing both an opener and a field caller. Some people will look at this and incorrectly think, they are getting better pot odds and should call wider. That is however not the case, because we always have less equity in a 3-way pot, and assuming BB fold, like he did, now we need to split the free money with two other players rather than one.

Also alarm bells should be going off here because of these guys positions at the table. When someone open UTG, they have their tightest range, and when someone call from UTG+1, with 4 players still left to act behind, they need an extremely strong hand to profitably make that call.

This is where, the limit matter also, because at 2NL and 5NL a field caller will often be a fish, who just want to see a flop with whatever, and we dont always need to respect that a lot. However at 100NL with no info on the Villain we absolutely need to respect the massive strength, he has showed by cold calling from this position. Its totally no surprice to see AQ here, in fact that hand is probably very near the bottom of his range.

Last edited: