$10 PLO 6-max: t2p drawheavy board ip

P

Pokerblitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please comment on mt play, bet sizing for instance.

hands like these happen a lot while playing Omaha and I'm not really comfortable with it, even though I'm in position. And by this I mean calling station type players oop which then donkbet the river and my hand not having improved since the flop.

pokerstars Zoom, Omaha Pot Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

UTG (Hero): $22.87 (229 bb)
MP: $6.50 (65 bb)
CO: $15.88 (159 bb)
BU: $10.00 (100 bb)
SB: $19.56 (196 bb)
BB: $36.57 (366 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with 9 T J 8
Hero raises to $0.35, 4 players fold, BB calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.75) 9 8 2 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.57, BB calls $0.57

Turn: ($1.89) J (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.20, BB calls $1.20

River: ($4.29) K (2 players)
BB bets $2.30, UTG (Hero) sighs

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop and flop seem fine and standardish, but I think I'd actually be checking back the turn. It's a pretty nice spot to be in position, and even though we might get SOME value from flush draws, there are a lot of hands that either improved to the best hand or to an even stronger combo draw now that we're not able to price out and won't be making a big mistake or anything by calling.

So I'm probably checking back turn pretty often.

As played on river I don't think we really beat anything. It's just the nature of PLO that when we bet on this kind of board and the river brings in the obvious draw, often the range advantage shifts to the person who's been calling. He has more flushes than we do, and when we don't hold the ace of spades, he can have the nuts.

Now, we DO hold the Ts, which blocks the most likely combo draw type holdings but some of those may raise us on flop or turn anyway. But it's like, what else does he really have BESIDES flushes? Do we really think this opponent has some random AsXXX hand that he's bluffing with now? For only a bit over half pot? I'm not buying it.

I sigh fold but I feel REALLY confident that it's the right fold.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 to what scourrge said, I just wanted to note a few brief things.

I think you are mislabeling villain (at least based on this single hand.) C-calling with your draw hands is pretty much the norm for most games. The river is not a donk bet, really. Villain has to bet with his made flushes. What do you expect him to do? Let it go check-check?

Honestly we have all been there, it sucks, but he has that damned flush 98% of the time. Also don't make the mistake of labeling villain a calling station based on this. That action, done out of frustration, will lose you money later on when that info matters.

P

Pokerblitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the remarks guys!

I think in general that I'm cbetting the turn too much, whuch comes from playing hold'm, checking back the turn makes sense to be able to improve on the river with a straight or full house or even calling in a better spot.

Also the remark about not marking as a calling station is interesting!
I make a lot of notes, since HM2 wasn't working anymore and I have no stats, just hands with other players.

vlad1slaw

vlad1slaw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play exactly the same :) I would just like to know the statistics on the opp, donk on the river especially.

The range of BB is very wide, it is unlikely that we are beating something here judging by the played line from the opp, even despite the Ts blocker.

WP!