Game Format
Pot Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Hello everyone! My last PLO hand didn't get any responses, but I really hope this one does. I know PLO isn't too popular (I think?) but I am loving this variation so far. At this particular table, almost everyone was in every single hand. I am playing a very TAG style, playing only 10% of my hands, tops. I finished the session about 75% up, which is awesome, because these idiots were calling me down with (sometimes) just top pair. Insane.

Anyways, my question for this hand is: Should I have 4-bet raised the pot before the flop? Of the two villains here, the SB was playing a fairly tight game but was showing down some questionable holdings almost always. The BB was very loose-passive.

PLO, 6-Max, $0.05/$0.10
Button (Me): $16.42
SB: $27.55 - as a side note, he had a huge stack when I sat down 45 minutes ago and he never really moved from this ~$30 mark.
BB: $7.55

My hand: :kd4::ad4::ah4::10h4:

UTG calls, folds to the button (me), I raise to $0.45 (the pot).
SB 3-bets to $1.55.
BB calls, UTG calls, I call (is this correct?).
Pot is now $5.86.

Flop: :8d4::8c4::jc4:

SB bets $1.93.
BB moves all-in for his last $6.10.
UTG folds (this guy plays literally every single hand he's dealt). Action to me...

I decided to fold here. For one, I'm thinking it's possible someone has an 8 with this kind of betting. It's unlikely, but with fish at your table, you never know what they are playing. Second, with the pre-flop raise in the SB, it's possible that JJ is in his range given what I know about this player. I was interpreting his weak bet as a probe to get people to call. Thirdly, he's making this move out of position, and although I knew he wasn't always playing great hands, he was also exhibiting tight behavior, so I wasn't sure. All I really had was two aces left to make the nut full house and two eights to give me a weak full house (assuming that JJ is out there). Finally, I had no redraw to the nut flush here...yes, backdoor diamonds, but that is unlikely. Did I interpret this situation wrong? I know it's hard for you to tell me because you all weren't observing these players.

SB calls the all-in move. Hands are revealed:

SB: :jh4::10c4::ac4::5h4:
Two-pair with a draw to the nut flush.

BB: :7s4::qh4::9d4::qs4:
A better two-pair with a gutshot straight draw.

The turn brings the :3s4: and the river is the :as4:.

OUCH. Had I stuck around, I would have made the nut full house and raked in a giant pot. Even if the ace didn't hit the river, I would have won with the top two pair (AA88....the only reason the SB made AAJJ was because the ace came on the river). All I said to myself was "that's poker I guess" and moved on to the next hand.

Let me know everyone...I know there are PLO players out there!

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play for something different to do. To answer your first question, I would have 4 bet pre flop to shake some of the looser players. Those are 4 powerful cards , top pair, and 2 nut flush draws where you could hit 2 straight flushes. I seldom would 4 bet preflop but that is one hand I would.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play for something different to do. To answer your first question, I would have 4 bet pre flop to shake some of the looser players. Those are 4 powerful cards , top pair, and 2 nut flush draws where you could hit 2 straight flushes. I seldom would 4 bet preflop but that is one hand I would.
Ah, interesting. Yeah, I am working on my aggression in NLHE right now (appropriate aggression that is, not the fishy kind lol) as sometimes I am too passive pre-flop. I guess I have to apply it to my Omaha game as well.

Thank you for the input!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands