Game Format
Pot Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Hello, this is my first time posting a hand for analysis, and I am still learning the game of Omaha, so go easy on me! Please provide feedback if I am posting incorrectly. I read something in the guidelines about not posting the outcome of the hand, so I won't post what the villain was holding here or what happened.
QUESTION: is there an appropriate time to do that? Because to me, it's important to know the outcome. Maybe get some feedback from all of you first?

Okay, here we go:
$0.05/$0.10 game, pot limit, six-max Omaha.
Starting Stacks for relevant players:
BTN: $11.40
SB: $26.36
BB (me): $9.70
UTG: $6.36

I'm dealt: :js4::ah4::2h4::10h4: in the big blind.
The UTG player limps in and it folds to the button, who raises to $0.45. This player just sat down a few hands ago, so I have no "reads" or impressions.
The SB player calls. This guy/gal is playing almost every single hand, limping and/or calling to see a flop. I'd say, ~85% or so. Getting lucky, obviously.

I make the call. My thoughts are that I have three to a broadway and a suited ace, although I don't like the three hearts. I've been playing tight so far this session, folding most of the time while I learn the game. I am reading books and studying my own hands.

The UTG player calls, the pot is $1.70, and we see the flop: :ac4::2s4::ad4:

WOOHOO! I flop the nuts. The SB checks, and I bet $1.13. UTG raises me to $5.09 (leaving them $0.82 behind). The BTN and SB both fold, and I re-raise to $9.05. The SB calls their last $0.82 (they are now all-in) and there is $12.87 in the pot.

It's here that the SB's hand is revealed, and the turn is a :ks4: with the river being a :10s4:

Okay guys...have at me! What do you think? ALSO, if I should post the results of the hand, please let me know. Again, I was reading the posting guidelines and they recommended that I should not post the results.

Last edited:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think you mean UTG calls because SB had folded. This is pretty straight forward. You can't fold this on the flop. Unfortunately what's best on the flop is often not best by the river, especially on Omaha. I am guessing your opponent had the other remaining ace along with a 10 or K? Nothing wrong with the way it is played, but that's just how the variance thing works unfortunately.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you mean UTG calls because SB had folded. This is pretty straight forward. You can't fold this on the flop. Unfortunately what's best on the flop is often not best by the river, especially on Omaha. I am guessing your opponent had the other remaining ace along with a 10 or K? Nothing wrong with the way it is played, but that's just how the variance thing works unfortunately.

You are correct, I mis-typed. The UTG called, not the SB. They did indeed fold.

I guess I'll post it here: the villain had :2d4::as4::kc4::10d4:

Not only did they also flop the nuts, but his hand was identical to mine except for the K. And low-and-behold, a K on the turn. That one hurt. Because I'm learning this game, I keep wondering if I screwed up....but man, I had the nuts on the flop! It's just uncanny. Oh well.

EDIT: yes, I realize that Omaha should be played with "redraws" in mind instead of playing a "one-way" hand. The J though is pretty high. Had I not had three broadway cards, I may have folded this hand to a raise preflop.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't think you screwed up. That's not a hand that you fold preflop and definitely not after the flop. You're about a 30 to 50 dog against his hand preflop and almost identical 13 to 14 with the majority being a chop after the flop. You could just as easily have landed a jack.