$10 NLHE Full Ring: Straight vs. Shove on Turn

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Action goes, I open, and the blinds call.

Three clubs on flop. I have a gutshot str draw. Everyone checks. The Q comes on the turn and SB (short stack) bets pot. Just as I am thinking whether to just call or raise, BB comes over the top all in. If I call that's my entire stack.

I ended up folding because my gut said at least one of them has a flush. A set didn't make sense given the action pre and post flop. Would be kinda dumb to shove with 2 pairs there. Maybe he's got AJ too, but I was just thinking flush. I used up my clock and hit the fold button.

Would you call?

Attachments

• AJthreeway.jpg
    AJthreeway.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 18
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Presumably you were not getting a very good price here, and I think, you are going to be up against a flush a lot. Or if he dont have a flush, then probably the nut flushdraw, which still has more than 20% equity. So I would also fold here. Its actually better to call with a set, because with a straight you are drawing completely dead, if someone has a flush.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After the action on the turn, I think that your fold is the best play.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with others that this is a fold. I agree with your thought process on this hand as I do on most of the hands you play. We have played against each other a lot and I like your style. I agree that two pair and sets should not be jamming the turn so my guess is you are up against another AJ or a flush. Against another AJ you not only will chop but you must think in terms of you will chop at best as there are plenty of combos where if villain has AJ one of them is a club and they are freerolling against you. The only thing I think I disagree with you on this hand about is using your timebank (which I know isnt much on SB) but I dont think I would take too much time here to decide I have to fold. I would be swearing about it to my computer screen for sure but its clear we are not in a good spot here and folding is the best option given the action.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Big Game

in case the pot gets you somewhere good in the tournament I would call because stright is a great hand; DEFEAT them is inevitable at any time during the tournament.:angel:

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with others that this is a fold. I agree with your thought process on this hand as I do on most of the hands you play. We have played against each other a lot and I like your style. I agree that two pair and sets should not be jamming the turn so my guess is you are up against another AJ or a flush. Against another AJ you not only will chop but you must think in terms of you will chop at best as there are plenty of combos where if villain has AJ one of them is a club and they are freerolling against you. The only thing I think I disagree with you on this hand about is using your timebank (which I know isnt much on SB) but I dont think I would take too much time here to decide I have to fold. I would be swearing about it to my computer screen for sure but its clear we are not in a good spot here and folding is the best option given the action.

Hey yeah we cross paths a lot on the CC tourneys. I like your play too. Definitely have you marked as one of the good players.

This one was a rough session. Besides this, QQ/KK ran into AA 3 times.