$10 NLHE Full Ring: Stealing BB from SB with j9o?

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this standard steal against a tight player? Against a loose player is this hand strong enough? Against tight players like this should I be stealing with any 2?

Poker Stars - $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em (6 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB Hero: $27.26
BB: $25.45
UTG: $12.01
MP: $10.80
CO: $25
BTN: $25.88
sblga - Sitting Out
yjqian23 - Sitting Out

Pre-flop: ($0.35) Hero is SB and dealt :jh4: :9s4:
4 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, BB folds, Hero returned $0.50

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's tight and folds well to steals you can certainly do it with ATC. I'd recommend throwing away a few hands though (maybe bottom 25%) just so he doesn't learn to adjust to quickly.

Against a loose player or someone who defends well, it's easier to just fold J9o and only open something like your default CO/HJ range. Playing OOP sucks and if the BB is decent he can make opening in the SB with less than premium cards -EV.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold this a lot. Stealing from the SB sucks because the BB knows you have garbage often, and you have to play OOP. Unless the BB is a super nit (which he should be quite often if you table select right), I fold here.

J

johnnytt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep raising this from the small blind until the BB gives me a reason not to raise it. Such as he never folds pre or floats flop alot etc.

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it really depends on the table and the players. SB is the worst post flop position so you are raising it to be in the worst position the entire hand. But still raise not a bad play. Just dont do it all the time, maybe 1/3-1/2 of these situations if villian is tight weak.

If BB has shown to be tight and at least slightly passive, I think a raise here is good. 1) you show aggression which might make others think before raising or limping with weak hands, 2) J9 could be the best hand right now and villian may call or correctly fold 3) might make others more likely to call you when you do have a hand when you tighten up. And if Villan does call or raise and you dont hit or wont fold to cb it is an easy fold for you.

If BB starts playing back at you or is aggressive either LAG or TAG then I am less likely to do this as I dont want to hurt my image by showing weakness by raising and folding to 3bet. Also, post flop you are out of position which is never great, but again J9 could be the best hand here so dont be to afraid of raising it up.

Standard 2.5X raise is good here (dont go above 3x in SB unless you want to enduce a donk raise or call). I rarely limp (depending on rake/drop) but will to mix it up but mostly raise to get villan to fold or play for something. Fold is good too if you just dont feel you want to fight for this pot.