MP: 103 BB
LJ: 99 BB
HJ: 100 BB
CO: 136 BB
SB: 96 BB
BB: 95 BB

SB posts 0.5 BB, BB posts 1 BB

Preflop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero Q♦︎Q♣︎

fold, fold, fold, LJ raises to 3.5 BB, fold, CO calls, Hero raises to 11.5 BB, fold, fold, LJ calls, CO fold

Flop: (pot: 26.5 BB, 2 players) K♥︎ 6♥︎ 7♦︎
LJ checks, Hero checks

Turn: (26.5 BB) K♠︎
LJ bets 17.7 BB, Hero calls

River: (59.9 BB) J♦︎
LJ bets 39.9 BB, Hero calls

Still in the learning stage trying to improve my game so any insight would be appreciated. I marked it because I snap called based on my assumption of that exact opponents range (he was looser.. ended up having A8s), but looking closer at the board and action I'm wondering if this was an optimal line to take in this situation. Is this a call most of the time in this spot?
I was thinking I should've Cbet the flop but it wasn't dry enough in my opinion and villains range was still a little wide, he was calling alot of 3Bets.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop: With one cold caller in the pot, you should size up your 3 bet to closer to 14 or even 15 BBs.

Flop: The K high flop actually favours your 3 betting range, and I like a c bet of about 35-40% pot. Once you check back the flop, a lot of players will immediately start firing and can make it difficult for you to get to showdown.

One more thing to note is that the wetter the flop, the more you will want to bet what you believe to be the best hand, thereby charging your opponents to draw.

Statistically, the 2nd K on the board makes it less likely that villain has a K, and I think your call on the river is fine.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think I would have played the hand this way but that is not to say that it is wrong. It worked out well basically turning your QQ into a bluff catcher post flop. I would have gone with a flop bet of around half or so and then liking the turn probably would have checked hoping to induce a bluff by the villain on the river which I would call. Villain could have a hand like 88-1010 as well which they would call 2 streets with but may not call a triple barrel with. You got two solid streets of value and the river call is a good call since at that point they either have it or they dont (throwing AA out the window) and its unlikely they have Kx is since there are only 2 left. Much more of the time they will be bluffing there then showing up with a King.

Just as a side note pre flop sizing to me is fine since we have position in the hand. I would not go smaller than this though since there was a raise and a call. Sweet spot (since we want one caller here) is probably more like 12.5-13BB but that is splitting hairs compared to your 11.5BB sizing.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Your 3-bet size would be fine, if there was no cold caller in between, but when there is, just add the amount, he put out. So like 15BB, since it was also a large (at least for online poker) 3,5BB open.

Flop
I prefer a small C-bet like 1/3 pot here. Get some thin value from 88-JJ, charge his draws. Its somewhat unlikely, he has a K, since AK would regularly 4-bet, and the calling range should mostly be KQs, KJs maybe KTs. Maybe its wider, because you made it small though, but a K high flop is much better for your hand than an A high flop.

Turn
You turned your hand into a bluff catcher, so obviously have to call. But he bet very large, and this is rather uncomfortable. Which is actually part of the reason for betting yourself on the flop, since then you get to determine the size of the pot.

River
A very large river bet from him and honestly a tough spot. KX is 33% less likely now with 2 K´s on the board, but 33% less likely does not mean impossible. JJ also rivered a boat and is a hand, which he can certainly have. Bluff catching is an art and very read dependent, so sometimes I might call, and sometimes I might fold. It probably good to not have a heart in your hand, because it blocks hands like AQ and QT of hearts, that he might use as bluffs. So if you are looking to play sound fundamental poker and dont have a strong read on the opponent, maybe fold those QQ, which have a heart and call the others like this combo, you had here.

Results
So he was in fact bluffing, and A8s is a rather loose call of a 3-bet out of position. But you might have induced that by your sizing. If it was any A8s other than hearts, then you got him to blast off with an airball, and I would definitely make a note about that. In that case you found an excellent way to take advantage of a player, who is to aggressive for his own good.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand from my session today..

SB Poker/BetOnline - 10NL ( Full ) - Holdem - 9 Players

Hero ( BTN ): 148 BB
UTG: 122 BB
UTG1: 112 BB
MP: 103 BB
LJ: 99 BB
HJ: 100 BB
CO: 136 BB
SB: 96 BB
BB: 95 BB

SB posts 0.5 BB, BB posts 1 BB

Preflop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero Q♦︎Q♣︎

fold, fold, fold, LJ raises to 3.5 BB, fold, CO calls, Hero raises to 11.5 BB, fold, fold, LJ calls, CO fold

Flop: (pot: 26.5 BB, 2 players) K♥︎ 6♥︎ 7♦︎
LJ checks, Hero checks

Turn: (26.5 BB) K♠︎
LJ bets 17.7 BB, Hero calls

River: (59.9 BB) J♦︎
LJ bets 39.9 BB, Hero calls

Still in the learning stage trying to improve my game so any insight would be appreciated. I marked it because I snap called based on my assumption of that exact opponents range (he was looser.. ended up having A8s), but looking closer at the board and action I'm wondering if this was an optimal line to take in this situation. Is this a call most of the time in this spot?
I was thinking I should've Cbet the flop but it wasn't dry enough in my opinion and villains range was still a little wide, he was calling alot of 3Bets.

Hey Mate,

I think you played this hand great!

QQ on a K high board is a hand that doesn't need much protection (unlike 88 for example which likes protection) so checking this hand on this board is totally fine.

It also sets up exactly what you wanted, an opportunity for an aggressive opponent to try and bet you off your hand (well done passing the test and holding on).

K pairing on turn decreases his chances of having one of them, all draws miss, and as you said he plays a super wide range.

I think yo assess the situation excellently and played the hand great

props!

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think I would have played the hand this way but that is not to say that it is wrong. It worked out well basically turning your QQ into a bluff catcher post flop. I would have gone with a flop bet of around half or so and then liking the turn probably would have checked hoping to induce a bluff by the villain on the river which I would call. Villain could have a hand like 88-1010 as well which they would call 2 streets with but may not call a triple barrel with. You got two solid streets of value and the river call is a good call since at that point they either have it or they dont (throwing AA out the window) and its unlikely they have Kx is since there are only 2 left. Much more of the time they will be bluffing there then showing up with a King.

Just as a side note pre flop sizing to me is fine since we have position in the hand. I would not go smaller than this though since there was a raise and a call. Sweet spot (since we want one caller here) is probably more like 12.5-13BB but that is splitting hairs compared to your 11.5BB sizing.

Thank you for the feedback. Preflop sizing gets so intricate lol Villain can definitely show up with 88-TT here, even jacks. My thought process in this particular hand was since I had no hearts, it widened his range so a check back and assess the turn was a safer decision in my opinion. I see your point of value though, but wouldn't a cbet with the Qh be better? It reduces his check calling range and makes it easier for value on later streets because your range is now wider.

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Mate,

I think you played this hand great!

QQ on a K high board is a hand that doesn't need much protection (unlike 88 for example which likes protection) so checking this hand on this board is totally fine.

It also sets up exactly what you wanted, an opportunity for an aggressive opponent to try and bet you off your hand (well done passing the test and holding on).

K pairing on turn decreases his chances of having one of them, all draws miss, and as you said he plays a super wide range.

I think yo assess the situation excellently and played the hand great

props!

Bro your videos helped get me started! It definitely feels good to hear that I'm on the right track. I'm gonna keep studying and grinding thanks for the feedback.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the feedback. Preflop sizing gets so intricate lol Villain can definitely show up with 88-TT here, even jacks. My thought process in this particular hand was since I had no hearts, it widened his range so a check back and assess the turn was a safer decision in my opinion. I see your point of value though, but wouldn't a cbet with the Qh be better? It reduces his check calling range and makes it easier for value on later streets because your range is now wider.

In my opinion it depends on the villain. If they are a villain that will just call with their heart draws here then I would want to bet and charge them for that draw. If they are a villain that will raise with their draws here then I am more weary of betting. Only because I have to think villains raising range is more than just draws so I put myself out there a little more not having top pair. If I knew nothing about villain then I think you can go either way. I said I would C bet in game but that doesnt mean its the best play its just I know what I would do if I was playing the hand live and didnt have minutes to think about the hand before acting. I think we can go either way to be honest. Having a heart though cuts down on their draws a little obviously but I would still not be determining C betting or not based on having a heart. Meaning if I leaned towards C betting I am doing it with any suit QQ and if I was leaning towards checking I would doing that with any suits QQ.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played, your depolarized size of preflop and your position allows you to check a high frequency on the flop, as you have no blockers of heart. This way you can expand your opponent's bluff range. If your 3-bet preflop is larger, any over needs more protection and the times you don't have a heart you should bet on c, more often. Unless you perceive that your opponent is aggressive enough (which seems like you had this information in mind).
On the river, against an aggressive opponent, you can raise a high frequency, to get the maximum value of minor pairs. On the other hand, your call range is quite wide, so now you can turn your failed draws into a bluff.
Greetings.

Last edited: