Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 16/11/33

pokerstars Hand #165977219508: Hold'em No Limit ($0.05/$0.10 USD) - 2017/02/10 5:47:28 ET
Table 'Hamiltonia' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: vincentessie ($16.36 in chips)
Seat 2: Schutzmann ($9.85 in chips)
Seat 3: BigBolleto ($14.30 in chips)
Seat 5: michaelvisa ($3.71 in chips)
Seat 7: mihaivereshu ($12.59 in chips)
Seat 8: Thur1508 ($10 in chips)
Seat 9: Romario2223 ($11.11 in chips)
Ax.Markus will be allowed to play after the button
michaelvisa: posts small blind $0.05
mihaivereshu: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Romario2223 [7s] [7h]
Thur1508: folds
Romario2223: raises $0.20 to $0.30
vincentessie: calls $0.30
Schutzmann: folds
BigBolleto: raises $0.90 to $1.20
michaelvisa: folds
mihaivereshu: folds
Romario2223: calls $0.90
vincentessie: calls $0.90
*** FLOP *** [Jc] [9d] [7c]
Romario2223: checks
vincentessie: checks
BigBolleto: bets $2.50
Romario2223: calls $2.50
vincentessie: folds
*** TURN *** [Jc] [9d] [7c] [3d]
Romario2223: checks
BigBolleto: bets $10.60 and is all-in
Romario2223: calls $7.41 and is all-in
Uncalled bet ($3.19) returned to BigBolleto
*** RIVER *** [Jc] [9d] [7c] [3d] [5d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Romario2223: shows [7s 7h] (three of a kind, Sevens)
BigBolleto: shows [Ac Kc] (high card Ace)
Romario2223 collected $22.51 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $23.57 | Rake $1.06
Board [Jc 9d 7c 3d 5d]
Seat 1: vincentessie folded on the Flop
Seat 2: Schutzmann folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: BigBolleto (button) showed [Ac] [Kc] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 5: michaelvisa (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: mihaivereshu (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Thur1508 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Romario2223 showed [7s] [7h] and won ($22.51) with three of a kind, Sevens

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
shove the flop imo, those clubs are terrifying

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I was thinking raising flop personally and shoving turns.

N

ninoverm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, easy call. Villain could be value betting with QQ+. If you're up against a higher set that's just a cooler.

I do not agree with the previous two comments that you should raise the flop here. Villain doesn't have to have clubs. It's actually quite unlikely he has clubs. And even then, it's worth taking the risk of giving him a card on the turn. Barely a quarter of the time that will be a club, and if your opponent hits a flush there you've still got equity and can go with your hand. Set is too strong to raise here, going for the trap is favourable imo.

I'd say raising on the flop is fine with two pairs here. That'd be J9s and 97s specifically, as you probably shouldn't get here with J7s. That's four combos. Balance that with combo draws like QcTc and 8c6c and I think you've got yourself a good raising range.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
....Set is too strong to raise here, going for the trap is favourable imo.
I'd say raising on the flop is fine with two pairs here. ....

This sounds very fundamental concept in poker. However it sounds counter intuitive, I have always heard that call with medium hands, raise with strong. Would you mind explaining more about the concept, or giving a link/search term to study more.

So does this just mean that set does not need protection, and villain believes we might be after draw or is on draw himself and so he is building pot for us. Then again 2 pairs are more vulnerable and thus are in need of protection?

Flop Ah9dTd, we have set of TT, do we just call here?

N

ninoverm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This sounds very fundamental concept in poker. However it sounds counter intuitive, I have always heard that call with medium hands, raise with strong. Would you mind explaining more about the concept, or giving a link/search term to study more.

So does this just mean that set does not need protection, and villain believes we might be after draw or is on draw himself and so he is building pot for us. Then again 2 pairs are more vulnerable and thus are in need of protection?

Flop Ah9dTd, we have set of TT, do we just call here?

Two pairs and sets are about as likely to be ahead on most flops, but the two pair is a lot more vulnerable. There are chances of getting counterfeited and you can get caught up by hands that are currently a pair turning into a better two pair or trips. Also, you've only got 4 full house outs as opposed to sets that will fill up with any card of the board pairing. You wanna protect your more vulnerable hands that are about as likely to be ahead as your stronger hands.

This really is the concept of protecting your equity as a betting purpose. Same goes for i.e. pocket pairs that turn into middle pair on the flop. Let'a say you raise 88 from the CO and the BB calls. Flop comes K72 rainbow. You actually wanna bet 88 more often than QQ here as you wanna protect against hands like JT and T9, that wouldn't be that much of a concern if you hold QQ.

You're right about the fact that you should generally call with your middle range, but this could become very exploitable. Your middle range on the flop often shrinks to your bottom range on the river and you then have to fold facing bets. You can protect this by flagging the absolute top of your range on earlier streets. This way you won't be bluffed as easily against your flop flatting range.

I wouldn't say the set of 7s in this case doesn't need protection at all, but it's risk vs reward. If you just call, you keep your opponent's bluffs in there and can get more value out of your strong hand. Two pairs are just more dependant on protection than sets.

Hope this somewhat helped. Of course this concept doesn't hold true in every single spot, also because it's partly protecting yourself from becoming exploitable which is more important against better players. But it's definitely something to consider if you find yourself in similar spots.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thx @ninoverm Everything you said sounds just right. Especially you explaining that 88 hand is great for me because I do play like that, even though I have always thought I make a theoretical mistake there =D

Betting for protection and fit and fold are the dirtiest words in nano stakes :)

Last edited:
M

Mazak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call, your opponent could bluff (as it was), had straight-draw and was trying to knocked you ot from hand or trying to make value from over pair like QQ+.