$10 NLHE Full Ring: AA face raise from short stack

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am trying to not overplay AA and to be able to lay them down in the right situations. Does this look like a set? and how should I change my play if he has a full stack?

Poker Stars - $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em (9 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $14.67
BB: $12.46
UTG: $10
MP: $5.88
MP+1: $15.75
MP+2: $7.08
LP: $10.38
CO Hero: $11.83
BTN: $3.65

Pre-flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO and dealt :ah4: :ac4:
3 folds, MP+2 calls $0.10, LP folds, Hero raises $0.40, BTN calls $0.40, 2 folds, MP+2 calls $0.30

Flop: ($1.35) :5s4: :8h4: :9c4: (3 players)
MP+2 checks, Hero bets $1, BTN folds, MP+2 raises $2.10, Hero raises $5.50, MP+2 raises $4.58 (All-in), Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($14.71) :5s4: :8h4: :9c4: :9h4: (2 players)

River: ($14.71) :5s4: :8h4: :9c4: :9h4: :5h4: (2 players)

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like a boat - though could have been trips or 2 pair after flop (8-9 SUITED). Not really enough info in one hand to read MP+2. If I am in your shoes and he raises my flop bet in that manner (just enough to entice at least a call) I have to really consider the fact I am behind - maybe way behind and not 3-bet.
Do you have any HUD stats on him? That could be a game changer.

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We were all in on the flop. Calling his raise isn't really an option because I won't be folding any other street. I'd either be getting it in or folding to his raise.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do we know anything about our opponent other than what we have here?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A limp call and then action on the flop is usually going to be a set.

He still has 70bb.. Id be inclined to fold to his CR.

People dont often go from limp call to all out bluff for stacks.

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no other reads on him. I guess I have to stop thinking every1 is bluffing me lol. I thought it seemed like a set but then I convinced myself he was blufifng.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no other reads on him. I guess I have to stop thinking every1 is bluffing me lol. I thought it seemed like a set but then I convinced myself he was blufifng.

Ask yourself what he could reasonably be bluffing you with on that board?

Remember that guys who limp/call preflop are rarely going to go nuts postflop with air or a single pair. Like maybe some good players would turn 66/77 into a semi-bluff on this flop but your standard 10nl villain is going to have 2pair+ here pretty much always.

Last edited:
sheesho

sheesho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've come to learn that check raises in the micros means your beat 4/5 the time. Only if you know the guy shoves with tptk, overpair, or AK, just fold it. Saves you a buy in.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I have to stop thinking every1 is bluffing me lol. I thought it seemed like a set but then I convinced myself he was blufifng.

What helped me was to adopt the point of view that there is no shame in being bluffed. Sometimes you just can't do a thing about it - except for catalog it in your memory and make him pay later on - because it is pretty certain that if he got away with it on you before, he'll probably try it again.
And of course weighing out how devastating it might be to you if you are wrong about them bluffing - again > Sometimes you just can't do a thing about it, until a more opportune time.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to think that I was being bluffed a lot too, and had a hard time folding. I started to realize at the micro's tho, most of them play their hands at face value and really have it when they raise. And as mediablitz said "there's no shame in folding".. if they are bluffing they will do it again... just wait for a better opportunity when you know you can stack em.

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it's a fold, my only issue is overpairs, he seems like the type to limp/call and "trap". So can he have TT+ here? Is he raising QQ, KK pre?

It's pretty nasty because of the straight possibility, and probably all 2 pairs too. Did he make quads? :D

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does definetly feel like a set. I'm like you though in that sense, a bad leak not putting down top pair when you hold aces/kings you always convince yourself that you're being bluffed off your hand. I'm trying to learn to put them down and have done recently although afterwards you kind of question the move.

I guess this is what separates the good players from the bad and knowing when you're beat. It's just so damn hard to put down your over pair on most boards.