$10 NLHE 6-max: Zoom: Wet Board.. My Play?

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/1qdfYDK

UTG: $10.79 (108 bb)
MP: $7.98 (80 bb)
CO: $10.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): $21.44 (214 bb)
SB: $3.56 (36 bb)
BB: $23.86 (239 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with A♣ J♣
3 players fold, Hero raises to $0.40, SB 3-bets to $1.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.90

Flop: ($2.70) J♥ 5♠ Q♥ (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.62, SB calls $0.62

Turn: ($3.94) K♥ (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $2, SB calls $1.64 (all-in)

River: ($7.22) K♣ (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $7.22 (Rake: $0.36)

Showdown:
BU (Hero) shows A♣ J♣ (two pair, Kings and Jacks)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 30%, Flop: 9%, Turn: 8%, River: 0%)

SB shows Q♣ A♥ (two pair, Kings and Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 70%, Flop: 91%, Turn: 92%, River: 100%)

SB wins $6.86

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
of course the player in seat 2 slow play too much this AQ
but, the range for someone make a re-raise in SB preflop is pretty strong, soo I see no value for Cbet in this situation with J high, and without even a flush draw

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jamming pre is fine since he's short unless you know him to be tight & 3b premiums only.
On the flop I'm either checking back or jamming since only close to pot left.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop I pretty much never open raise to 4BB. Was there a special reason for this sizing? When he 3-bet, he already put in more than a third of his chips, so to be this would be a fold or jam spot. I dont like to play a less than 1 SPR pot with a hand, that is going to flop A high two thirds of the time and sometimes a second pair like this.

As played I would check behind and hope to get to showdown without investing anything more. Its difficult to get called by worse, and he is never folding anything better. Obviously a bit of a cooler spot, but without specific reads I think, we could just have folded to his 3-bet.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop I pretty much never open raise to 4BB. Was there a special reason for this sizing? When he 3-bet, he already put in more than a third of his chips, so to be this would be a fold or jam spot. I dont like to play a less than 1 SPR pot with a hand, that is going to flop A high two thirds of the time and sometimes a second pair like this.

As played I would check behind and hope to get to showdown without investing anything more. Its difficult to get called by worse, and he is never folding anything better. Obviously a bit of a cooler spot, but without specific reads I think, we could just have folded to his 3-bet.

Opening a little more than the standard can serve to make the btn position less predictable and achieve a faster theft of blinds sometimes.
I wouldn't have much trouble stacking only with the sb in preflop, since we invest approximately only 14% of our stack. And we exceed 90% of the total possible combinations. With so little spr I think our hand is profitable, villain could have Ax or some ghost pocket.

V

Vlad Savchenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The stacks are way too shallow for any postflop here.
He can't really raise/fold now (well, he can, but he's getting the odds to call a shove with any reasonable 3-betting hand), so we should treat this 3-bet like a jam.
After investing 4bb you really don't have to defend all that wide here. TT+/AQs+ would be standard shoves, AJs is kind of borderline, and it feels a bit too weak to continue here. I'd much rather just take 12 combos of AQo due to It's better raw equity.

As for postflop (that shouldn't really happen) - either jam or check the flop. Jamming gets all the money in versus draws immediately, checking helps to get to showdown with a mediocre holding. Betting small doesn't do much, as the draws get fantastic price, and you're gonna get stacked by Qx anyways

Jamming turn falls right under "valuebluff" category, but it doesn't really matter, as this spot should've never happened

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre flop I think his range is going to be narrow. I think with his stack I'm either jamming or folding here, deeper I think calling is fine

Flop. This is a clear check back with 2nd pair

The turn. Why continue to barrell with 3rd pair no flush and a gut shot a fold on the turn is the correct play IMO

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The turn. Why continue to barrell with 3rd pair no flush and a gut shot a fold on the turn is the correct play IMO

No point in folding, when its free to check. But we could certainly check back, and on this runout there is a decent chance, river could have gone check-check as well in which case, we lose a lot less. As Vlad say, this turn jam fall right into the definition of a value bluff. Its still possible, we have the best hand, if he was 3-betting a suited wheel ace, a suited connector or a medium pair like 99 or TT. But when we jam and get action, we are always behind.

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes on the sizing - it is standard(ish) to raise 4bb in the small blind in 6max online, in order to give the big blind worse pot odds in order to prevent big blind from defending wide/3-betting light. Recently I have been applying this strategy to button open raises, what do you think?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes on the sizing - it is standard(ish) to raise 4bb in the small blind in 6max online, in order to give the big blind worse pot odds in order to prevent big blind from defending wide/3-betting light. Recently I have been applying this strategy to button open raises, what do you think?

I think, the two situations are very different. On BTN you have position postflop, so the reason for giving bad pot odds does not exist. In fact you want BB to get sucked into defending with some bad hands, because he is going to under realise his equity postflop.

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean after you called that preflop raise, he didn't have much back. Plus his check on flop was a big confusing. Turn bet was confusing since he really didn't have much behind. I mean you can rep KQ, or Kx, T9, AT or a flush, but he had already put so much in. He could have Qx, QJ, KJ, AQ, KQs or a weaker Jx (unlikely), or TT, 99, T9s(idk since he 3 bet preflop OOP) or KT and K9(unlikely).

You're hoping to get value from TT, 99, but that's it. You're better checking since even if you're trying to rep a bigger hand to bluff he's already put in so much that's there's never any fold equity

S

stoper92

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Button is the position where you want to steal the blinds, you are opening around 50% of range. The blinds will play out of position (they don't want to) so even with small opening (2.5bb as standard) you can achieve your goal.
Is there a good reason to open raising with 4bb here? I didn't spot this before. Maybe SB was playing all the hands? If so, I can understand this sizing.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No point in folding, when its free to check. But we could certainly check back, and on this runout there is a decent chance, river could have gone check-check as well in which case, we lose a lot less. As Vlad say, this turn jam fall right into the definition of a value bluff. Its still possible, we have the best hand, if he was 3-betting a suited wheel ace, a suited connector or a medium pair like 99 or TT. But when we jam and get action, we are always behind.
Yes my bad I meant check the turn