$10 NLHE 6-max: Zoom - Hero with QQ, Villain hits Ace on flop Bad Beat or Bad Play?

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$10 NLHE 6-max: Zoom - Hero with QQ, Villain hits Ace on flop Bad Beat or Bad Play?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/1q95sGm

snick726 (UTG): $9.56 (96 bb)
Tipsy_Penguin (MP): $12.41 (124 bb)
standaloneking (CO): $11.92 (119 bb)
sportsguy16 (BU): $12.71 (127 bb)
SecretSquirrel (SB): $9.77 (98 bb)
Benjamallin (BB): $16.36 (164 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero (sportsguy16) is BTN with Q♥ Q♠
3 players fold, sportsguy16 (BU) raises to $0.30, 1 fold, Benjamallin (BB) 3-bets to $1.05, sportsguy16 (BU) calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.15) 2♥ K♣ 4♥ (2 players)
Benjamallin (BB) bets $1.07, sportsguy16 (BU) calls $1.07

Turn: ($4.29) J♠ (2 players)
Benjamallin (BB) bets $2.34, sportsguy16 (BU) calls $2.34

River: ($8.97) T♣ (2 players)
Benjamallin (BB) checks, sportsguy16 (BU) checks

Total pot: $8.97 (Rake: $0.44)

Showdown:
Benjamallin (BB) shows A♣ K♦ (a pair of Kings)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 43%, Flop: 87%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

sportsguy16 (BU) mucks Q♥ Q♠ (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 57%, Flop: 13%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

Benjamallin (BB) wins $8.53

Should I have called him off here or folded?

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in the BB he is representing a narrow range of value hands high pocket pairs + AK maybe KQs think most other hands would close the action. He of course could have some bluffs in there suited connectors and suited aces. I don't think a 4 bet from you would of been out of the question as your ahead of most of his value range. With your actual hands if you had done so it may of gone in preflop but as played once he has bet both flop and turn he is representing AA AK KK maybe KQs think a fold on the turn would be the play. You couldn't fold to a single flop bet as you leaving yourself open to be exploited if you give up that quickly he can open up his betting range and bet his entire range if your giving up quickly. It depends on previous play from villian has he been playing aggressively?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When its down to only 3 players, QQ generally become a 4-bet. However flatting is obviously also a +EV play, just not optimal in general. As played I would probably give him credit and fold on the turn. You were kind of lucky, he did not bet the river as well, because now what?

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have definitely 4 bet and called a shove preflop. You get your money in as a slight favourite, and unfortunately would have lost anyway.

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in the BB he is representing a narrow range of value hands high pocket pairs + AK maybe KQs think most other hands would close the action. He of course could have some bluffs in there suited connectors and suited aces. I don't think a 4 bet from you would of been out of the question as your ahead of most of his value range. With your actual hands if you had done so it may of gone in preflop but as played once he has bet both flop and turn he is representing AA AK KK maybe KQs think a fold on the turn would be the play. You couldn't fold to a single flop bet as you leaving yourself open to be exploited if you give up that quickly he can open up his betting range and bet his entire range if your giving up quickly. It depends on previous play from villian has he been playing aggressively?

I was playing zoom so I didn’t have a read on him. Thanks for the advice!

D

Dimitris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imo 4bet/shove and accept variance. QQ btn vs BB is a very strong hand.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold on turn. After he 3bets pre? Bets the flop and bets the turn he most likely has a K