$10 NLHE 6-max: Would you lay down top set Qs here?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have QcQh on BTN. UTG+1 limps. I raise it to 40c. BB calls, limper calls.

6h4cQs flop.

They check, I bet 68c into $1.19 pot (BOL automatically adjusts the pot for rake). BB folds, limper calls.

Turn is 5h. I am not loving it because it's a familiar feeling... wish it was an ace or K or something that doesn't connect the board. He checks. I bet $1.80 into $2.47 pot. He calls. Should I have just shoved here?

River is 7s. He donk bets $4.40 into $5.87 pot.

My first reaction is oh no again? Does this mofo has 88? 33?

But can I lay down the set? I ended up calling out of tilt. (I quit after this hand cuz I was already on the edge of tilt before this due to another BS hand earlier, and this pushed me into fulltilt. I ended up winning a little bit for the day but I should have won at least 5 times more.)

Ad3s

Should I have bet bigger? Should I have shoved on the flop or turn to get them off the draws? They may interpret a shove as weakness and call with a pocket pair.

Bad river call I know...

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without knowing what effective starting stacks were, it's impossible to know how big an overbet shoving the turn would have been.

It's a terrible run out for your set of Queens, but finding a fold on the river would have been the best play.

Given how badly villain plays poker, you should have stayed at the table. You would have got all your money back and then some.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I play a lot on BOL. You can iso a bit larger, especially since these guys will call anything.

In theory the flop is a check, but I don't mind a bet. You can also bet way smaller.

Turn bet is good. On the river you have to call- it is the only hand you have to call, as you can fold KK and AA here.

V could be donking a set as well, so he does have worse value.

Make a note and move on. WP

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have QcQh on BTN. UTG+1 limps. I raise it to 40c. BB calls, limper calls.

6h4cQs flop.

They check, I bet 68c into $1.19 pot (BOL automatically adjusts the pot for rake). BB folds, limper calls.

Turn is 5h. I am not loving it because it's a familiar feeling... wish it was an ace or K or something that doesn't connect the board. He checks. I bet $1.80 into $2.47 pot. He calls. Should I have just shoved here?

River is 7s. He donk bets $4.40 into $5.87 pot.

My first reaction is oh no again? Does this mofo has 88? 33?

But can I lay down the set? I ended up calling out of tilt. (I quit after this hand cuz I was already on the edge of tilt before this due to another BS hand earlier, and this pushed me into fulltilt. I ended up winning a little bit for the day but I should have won at least 5 times more.)

Ad3s

Should I have bet bigger? Should I have shoved on the flop or turn to get them off the draws? They may interpret a shove as weakness and call with a pocket pair.

Bad river call I know...

Thank you for posting.

As played you were fine. thinking of shoving is just pain avoidance poker is pain if we let it get to us.
The real issue here is the tilt factor. You seem to know you should have folded but could not bring yourself to give up. Think deeply about why?

The V played exactly as you expected them to. Why second guess yourself?
We make money from correct decisions over thousands of hands not from winning pots in the short term. Maybe that is the issue too short term an outlook for winning. That will cause tilt.

Hope this helps
:):)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont have any problems losing to better players or if I misplay a hand because I can always learn some lessons from such hands. But when I lose to these luckboxes a few times in a row, it still tilts me and if I don't leave I just lose more.

---

Perhaps my luck is finally changing. After weeks of BS hands and being about 400 to 500 bbs below what I should be winning, I finally pass my previous high watermark today.

Two separate donks went crazy triple barrel bluffing. One had 34 suited and the other had 57suited. Both threebet me from the blinds and gave me their entire stacks.

Need more donks not hitting all their cards please.

T

Theotate

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that it is played poorly. Villian just got there on the river with a highly speculative hand. If you place a massive overbetpush on the turn, you end up missing value in the long run, I think.

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont have any problems losing to better players or if I misplay a hand because I can always learn some lessons from such hands. But when I lose to these luckboxes a few times in a row, it still tilts me and if I don't leave I just lose more.

I am sure you are a well seasoned and winning player, but sometimes a bit of refocus is a nice thing.
Its good that bad players hit the pot sometimes, as they will continue spewing in future hands hoping that thge same thing happens, again and again.

Maybe its time to reexamine all the Titl types, understand them better, and deal with them

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has been a terrible bad beat. Don't worry about these hands. In my opinion you have played correctly in all the streets, trying to polarize yourself so that your opponent does not put you in a single strong hand.
In general I think wide calls should pay larger bet sizes, so I see everything correct in this sequence.
Greetings.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

You should have pushed all in beforehand, let him take his chances going for a small straight.
still as Doug Polk allways says, dont lay down sets! especially in cash games.