$10 NLHE 6-max: When V checks Turn?

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Just reviewing some hands from a losing session... I think this was played badly, but I'd like to get people's thoughts on why.

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 134.9 BB
SB: 118.7 BB
BB: 163.6 BB
UTG: 244 BB
MP: 248.2 BB
CO: 142.7 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: K:heart:

fold, MP raises to 2.8 BB, fold, Hero calls 2.8 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (7.1 BB, 2 players) T:heart: 9:heart: T:diamond:
MP bets 3.5 BB, Hero calls 3.5 BB

Turn: (14.1 BB, 2 players) 6:club:
MP checks, Hero bets 5.5 BB, MP calls 5.5 BB

River: (25.1 BB, 2 players) 8:heart:
MP checks, Hero bets 16.8 BB ... !:D

Preflop- you all call here?

Flop- I think this call is just OK- I expect V to bet out with Ts and a lot of hands that need defending. Occasionally he will bet his weaker flush draws, maybe check/call something like AJhh.

We don't block too much of his betting range (maybe Queens), but I call because we have the King of hearts (V can slow down on heart turns) and we can get him off/beat his 9x, 88, 77 hands.

Turn- What should our bet sizing be here? I think I need to go a lot larger, I'm not even sure what I was thinking at that point (maybe getting Ax to fold, but he doesn't have a ton of those).

We are repping a ten? If he check calls, what should V have? 9x, flush draws? If that's true do we give up on heart rivers?

Let me know gang! :nurse:

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you do decide to bet the turn, you do need to bet larger. That would set up a greater implied threat for the river and would be more likely to fold out his weak (but stronger than you) hands.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are try to represent an flush, here the villain will call with a straight, a flush or a fullhouse, maybe he can be able to call with trips, AA, KK.... In this spot I prefer to bet a little more, when you bet only 5.5BB in a turn with a pot of 14.1BB you are giving opportunity for the villain complete come draws, It`s preferable to bet a little more, there much draws here, I prefer to bet 10BB, and half pot or pot in this river are fine.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop, very borderline call as default (without info), vs 2.8x maybe little +EV. With 135bb I think I will call for sure.
Flop, OK for me...
Turn...I think if you choose to bet , must be bigger. But not very big, because we will bet at many rivers, except A, T, 9, 6, K, Q. Well, not so many :D. But I prefer check back. OTR we will see...

We are repping a ten? If he check calls, what should V have? 9x, flush draws? If that's true do we give up on heart rivers?
Not only ten. Doesn't matter what you are "repping". And no, if you choose to bet OTT, on heart OTR bet again.And you can't define his range without HUD. I mean right here. In this spot...But, yes, I think, it is easier with check back. You can't do something wrong, a mistake.

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre:
I know it's FAST but zero reads? I'm probably 3 betting if V has 20+ PFR but calling is probably default with no reads. Definitely 3 betting KQs.

Flop:
I think flatting is fine here in position with two overs a gut shot and back door hearts.

Turn:
Here is where we can put our position to work. We can check back and eval river at some frequency but I'd prefer to apply pressure. Our bet here does not pot control with our marginal hand with some equity but little show down value and it does not apply pressure on a board that favors a calling range in position. In my opinion we should be decisive about one of these objectives on the turn and go with it. If I bet I'm going 10-11 BB.

River:
If we bet turn then I'm going 2/3+ on this and most rivers. We should have more 7x, and Tx than V and we block some heart combos. If we checked turn we probably don't have much fold equity to steal it on the river since many of our draws would bet turn when checked to so, again without reads, I'd probably give up and check back again.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Echoing what others have posted for the most part. The call pre flop is fine to me, you are on the button with a hand that can flop well. The flop call I am also fine with because if you are calling with this hand pre flop then you need to continue on flops where you have some draws such as in this case. The turn is where I dont like your play. Your options are to check behind, bet small or bet large and I think bet small is the worst choice of all of them. I like checking behind here because I get a free card to get an K,Q, or J or something else like a heart that maybe I can rep on the river depending on villains actions. If you are going to bet it needs to be well over half pot to maximize fold equity. On the river as played I think I do go for a bluff here (even though the board is paired which is not good for bluffing) and make it around half pot. If I checked the turn I would bet the river if checked to and make it about a 60% pot bet.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop- I personally like 3-betting on BTN with high cards. I only flat when there's another caller and hold small pairs and small suited connectors.

Flop- Call seems mandatory. 2 overs. gutshot. bd fd. your equity is real equity.

Turn- You both are relatively deep. If I were Villain I would even peel with non-made hands such as AKo,etc for this sizing. I personally would check here. With these stacks if I would bet I would go for an overbet (implying I am trying to shove on the river).
River- I like the bet. Hard to call without a 7 or flush. Villain doesn't have many 7s in his range. Just because he showed the goods this time doesn't mean you played it badly.