$10 NLHE 6-max: Whale of a time with QQ

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was at this regular table for well over an hour, villain was 85/23 after 121 hands. He had almost no preflop aggression at all, showed some aggression on flop and turn, and was massively agro on the river.

He was on a bit of a heater, to say the least, and kept showing down crazy two pairs , flushes etc and just winning pot after pot. His WTSD was 28 and WSD was 60. He was wild but there was definitely method to his madness, which made me wonder if this was a higher limit player blowing off steam and just playing almost anything at all. Or some epic drunk maniac savant.

The only other time I saw villain get into a pre flop war like this was about half an hour earlier when we raised/reraised each other a couple of times and I just jammed AK pre 100BB deep... and villain called it off with QQ and held. Otherwise they were just calling 3 bets super loose, with any two suited cards, stuff like that. So I was pretty sure when we got into a battle the second time they were doing this with a premium.

Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 100 BB
Hero (BTN): 200.7 BB
SB: 640 BB
BB: 260.6 BB
UTG: 100 BB
MP: 110.3 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q Q

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, SB raises to 4 BB, fold, Hero raises to 12 BB, SB raises to 20 BB, Hero raises to 50 BB, SB calls 30 BB

Flop: (101 BB, 2 players) 9 6 A
SB bets 66.6 BB, Hero raises to 150.7 BB and is all-in,
fold

Hero wins 222.5 BB

I tank here for an age before shoving. It is SO deep. But the SPR is what it is. If I call I have such a small amount left behind in SPR terms. Folding seems crazy on the surface... but this is going to hurt however you slice it if he has an ace.

Maybe I can win more here just calling and letting villain bluff... but I don't think my nerves would have held up calling off against this guy a couple of streets :eek: Maybe he doesn't have an Ace but has a draw or a worse pair and calls my shove. Maybe he even folds KK. Anyway, I did not enjoy this rather unusual spot.

L

Langerz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a tough one for me since I rarely play this deep.

Preflop seems standard. With his stats you can’t do anything else imo and I’d be happy getting 200 bbs in Preflop with QQ vs this guy.

Flop is tough because it’s really hard to assign a range. He’s a maniac and could have a lot of stuff here and him leading tends me towards weaker vs strong. Personally I’d tend to calling to let him shove himself. I’ll use the old adage “what better hands fold and what worse hands call”. Like you said maybe KK folds but I don’t think it’s that likely here. Is it possible he calls with worse? Yeah but he probably shoves the turn with those hands too

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean against a whale, it's so read dependent if you want to maximize value. Clearly he's a maniac whale if he doesn't understand he can't bet / fold that much on the flop with pretty much any 2.

NH

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was at this regular table for well over an hour, villain was 85/23 after 121 hands. He had almost no preflop aggression at all, showed some aggression on flop and turn, and was massively agro on the river.

He was on a bit of a heater, to say the least, and kept showing down crazy two pairs , flushes etc and just winning pot after pot. His WTSD was 28 and WSD was 60. He was wild but there was definitely method to his madness, which made me wonder if this was a higher limit player blowing off steam and just playing almost anything at all. Or some epic drunk maniac savant.

The only other time I saw villain get into a pre flop war like this was about half an hour earlier when we raised/reraised each other a couple of times and I just jammed AK pre 100BB deep... and villain called it off with QQ and held. Otherwise they were just calling 3 bets super loose, with any two suited cards, stuff like that. So I was pretty sure when we got into a battle the second time they were doing this with a premium.

Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 100 BB
Hero (BTN): 200.7 BB
SB: 640 BB
BB: 260.6 BB
UTG: 100 BB
MP: 110.3 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q Q

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, SB raises to 4 BB, fold, Hero raises to 12 BB, SB raises to 20 BB, Hero raises to 50 BB, SB calls 30 BB

Flop: (101 BB, 2 players) 9 6 A
SB bets 66.6 BB, Hero raises to 150.7 BB and is all-in,
fold

Hero wins 222.5 BB

I tank here for an age before shoving. It is SO deep. But the SPR is what it is. If I call I have such a small amount left behind in SPR terms. Folding seems crazy on the surface... but this is going to hurt however you slice it if he has an ace.

Maybe I can win more here just calling and letting villain bluff... but I don't think my nerves would have held up calling off against this guy a couple of streets :eek: Maybe he doesn't have an Ace but has a draw or a worse pair and calls my shove. Maybe he even folds KK. Anyway, I did not enjoy this rather unusual spot.

Thank you for posting.

Based on your level of discomfort in this hand ending it on the flop was fine. Your study point is understanding why you were emotional vs this Villain and strengthening your mental game in that area.

It would be a good exercise to take the time to type out what you fear was and then think about how realistic it would be to fear that in this hand by looking at all the data and calculating your equity vs the V's estimated range here.

Hope this helps
:):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I am totally onboard with 4-betting against the undersized 3-bet. I would do that with hands a lot weaker then QQ, because usually a player like this is just goofing around with some random hand, when he min 3-bet. However when he click it back again as a 5-bet, then in my experience people usually tend to have it. Often this will be exactly aces, or at least its some kind of premium hand. So I dont like 6-betting him with QQ. I think, way to often you are just getting it in as a 4:1 dog, because presumably you are not putting in 50BB preflop with intentions to fold to a jam? So I dont like this 6-bet, but of course I am never ever folding for another 8BB either. Just stick in the call and see, what happen after the flop.

Flop
If we put him on a range of premium hands, then what do you even beat here other than maybe exactly JJ? I know, it sucks, but as played I would just fold to that donk bet. Yes the SPR is very low at just 1,5, but that does not mean, you are pot committed with an underpair on a A high board in a situation, where both players should have a very strong range.

Results
So he did end up folding, and I have a difficult time imagining, he bet-folded a better hand, so maybe he was just goofing around with nonsense. Its a super weird hand, and for me the main point to take away is to not put in that 6-bet preflop.